Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Statement from M-Audio  (Read 26642 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Statement from M-Audio
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 03:23:03 PM »
Remember that the 2GB file limitation is a result of FAT32 file system and not something that can be changed via a firmware update.  All a firmware update can do is split the files before they reach th 2GB mark or something of that nature.  But having a single file over 2GB isn't gonna happen.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2005, 03:25:22 PM »
there is a 2 GB file limit because that's how .wav was designed.  back when those two guys(can't remember their names) developed the pcm wave format they had no idea how advanced digital audio would get and how big the files can be.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 03:29:19 PM »
Remember that the 2GB file limitation is a result of FAT32 file system and not something that can be changed via a firmware update.  All a firmware update can do is split the files before they reach th 2GB mark or something of that nature.  But having a single file over 2GB isn't gonna happen.

Hmmm.  Good answer OFOTD.  So what you're saying is MT has no chance of eliminating the 2GB split?  So they do need to pattern it after the 722 and make the split seamless.

Is Fat32 a Microsoft thingy?   

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 03:30:29 PM »

Hmmm.  Good answer OFOTD.  So what you're saying is MT has no chance of eliminating the 2GB split?  So they do need to pattern it after the 722 and make the split seamless.

Is Fat32 a Microsoft thingy?   

yes, MS thing... it sucks.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 03:31:54 PM »
I wonder, with the new OS next year, if Microsoft is going to improve the file system for stuff like this. 

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 03:37:03 PM »
I wonder, with the new OS next year, if Microsoft is going to improve the file system for stuff like this. 

They were. WinFS (Windows File System) but have since dropped that for the time being due to holding up development.

NTFS and all your worries are gone....and so is multiple OS/cross platform support.  ;D

Someone mentioned NTFS has licensing restrictions, could be another reason no one uses it?

Sure would be cool to have the option to format to NTFS in the MicroTrack in a firmware update. Hint Hint!

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »

They were. WinFS (Windows File System) but have since dropped that for the time being due to holding up development.

NTFS and all your worries are gone....and so is multiple OS/cross platform support.  ;D

Someone mentioned NTFS has licensing restrictions, could be another reason no one uses it?

Sure would be cool to have the option to format to NTFS in the MicroTrack in a firmware update. Hint Hint!

You hit the nail on the head.  If they developed WinFS to replace NTFS, then Microsoft could release the licensing restrictions on NTFS, like they did with Fat32.   

:alert:  Sh$t, c'mon Billy, get WinFS going!  Your messing with our recordings!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 03:51:17 PM »
What is the purpose of the 2GB limit for either the 722 or the MT?  Over-heating from  manufacturing test failures past the 2 GB continous record?  Seriously, can someone answer that question? Maybe a safety valve for possible unit failure during a long recording?  Save-as-you go feature?  Nice if your ENG, but as a taper, that would make me nervy, even if the split & restart was seamless.

the purpose of the split is so that you can manage whatever size files you want.  I think you can set it all the way down to .5Gb to a max of 4 Gb....pretty convenient based on the speed of the PC you work with.  As for making me nervous, thankfully it works fine (outside of one bad firmare update that caused a looping problem)...

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 03:57:33 PM »
What is the purpose of the 2GB limit for either the 722 or the MT?  Over-heating from  manufacturing test failures past the 2 GB continous record?  Seriously, can someone answer that question? Maybe a safety valve for possible unit failure during a long recording?  Save-as-you go feature?  Nice if your ENG, but as a taper, that would make me nervy, even if the split & restart was seamless.

the purpose of the split is so that you can manage whatever size files you want.  I think you can set it all the way down to .5Gb to a max of 4 Gb....pretty convenient based on the speed of the PC you work with.  As for making me nervous, thankfully it works fine (outside of one bad firmare update that caused a looping problem)...

Oh, so you can set it beyond 2GB.  Is the 722's firmware based on Fat32?  If it is, then the theories and assumptions about Fat32 are not correct?

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
Using an NTFS file system wouldn't solve the 2gig size limit.  It's a .wav limitation, not a file system limitation.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »
I can make 4 Gb wav files with my 722 that CDWav reads fine....just other programs choke on it...such as wavelab

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »

You hit the nail on the head.  If they developed WinFS to replace NTFS, then Microsoft could release the licensing restrictions on NTFS, like they did with Fat32.   

:alert:  Sh$t, c'mon Billy, get WinFS going!  Your messing with our recordings!

FACT:  FAT32 supports 4 GB files.

Decent audio programs support 4GB wav files.

NTFS and WinFS have nothing to do with 'our recordings' and 2GB issues.  FAT32 already supports 4GB files.  Most windows audio applications don't even support >2GB files.  The Microtrack 2GB limitations are a microtrack problem that have nothing to do with NTFS or any other file system.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2005, 04:02:36 PM »
Drifting off topic, but 2GB is a software limit put in place. The 722 will do 4GB wav files and must split there due to FAT32 limitations. NTFS has no limit unless you are talking in the terabyte range.  :)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
Nice discussion guys.  I learned more on this thread than any other.  Good read for newbs.  I'm even a newb on stuff like this.   :newbie:

Offline onebear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »
Drifting off topic, but 2GB is a software limit put in place. The 722 will do 4GB wav files and must split there due to FAT32 limitations. NTFS has no limit unless you are talking in the terabyte range.  :)

FAT32 has a maximum file size limit on 4 GB and NTFS has in theory a limit on 16 exabytes  ;)
MBHO 603A/KA-200N > Sound Devices MixPre > M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 [SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB]
G5 > M-Audio Audiophile 192 > Behringer DEQ 2496 Ultracurve Pro  > Tapco (Mackie) S8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://onebear.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com