Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is breaking down RUDE?  (Read 7279 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Is breaking down RUDE?
« on: December 06, 2005, 12:50:19 AM »
I am going to tape a couple of acts on Thursday and I just listened to some mp3's online of the headliner.   :crazy:

I was asked to tape band #1 so they can use it as a demo.  I was asked to tape band #2 for a project that I am working on.  Would it be bad to tape the first two bands, break down, and high-tail it home before band #3 hit the stage??  Bad form? 

Can somone give me some snappy quips to spew if asked why I am leaving?  Something like, "Sorry guys, I have to wash my hair...big day tomorrow!"   ;D >:D

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is breaking down RUDE?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:16:41 AM »
if you can break down while the bands are transitioning you can likely escape unnoticed - if not fuck it if the band sucks you likely won't be seeing them again
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:03 AM »
Break down.  I doubt anyone'll say boo.  And if they do, just say you have other plans or have to get up early the next morning, or some such.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 02:25:22 AM »
Break down.  I doubt anyone'll say boo.  And if they do, just say you have other plans or have to get up early the next morning, or some such.

Just say you've been "hired" (well, really just asked) to tape the first two bands.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:34:46 AM »
I break down after the first set all the time with my fav band.
the show is over go home please.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:44:19 AM »
I have broken down during sets when bands suck....I wouldnt recommend that....

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 08:57:08 AM »
I break down after the first set all the time with my fav band.

and that's why you miss all the good stuff that happens in set 2 :)

but, to stay on-topic here.  I've been asked to tape an opening band before, and I broke down between sets with no problems, no guilty feelings.  In fact, the only reason why they "main" band even noticed was because my mics were clamped to the ceiling and I was standing on a bar stool 5 feet from the stage taking my mics down.  Don't worry about it.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 09:15:01 AM »
if you'd like an easier way out, simply looked baffled ans say your batteries have died...
that way, they will understand it's not because they sux (or you thinking they sux) and then they can save face.

artful disguise..

(i've done it too and you're right to ask for some advice, as you'll be approached)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
Maybe the MP3s suck compared to the live show?  Just a thought...

I always hate tearing down between bands, cause it can send a mean message, but sometimes I don't have a choice...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:05:58 AM »
Tell them that your wife is about to conceive your first child and you want to be there when it happens.

(A friend of mine actually blurted this out at the airline ticket counter when he was trying to get home for the birth of his first child.  The airline counter attendant smiled and said, "I'll bet you would like to be there!")
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 10:15:46 AM »
What is the difference between you taping and wanting to leave before the headliner and you being just another regular patron of the bar wanting to leave?   

I feel absloutely no remorse about coming and going as I please.   :)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:36:44 AM »
time is valuable.  why waste it on a band you don't like?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 10:45:06 AM »
I think you are right to be sensitive to how this would be perceived. Certainly you have a "right" to do anything you want but, (I only speak for myself here) "We" record bands at their pleasure and the pleasure of the venue so cultivating good relationships with these folks can only help the cause of tapers in general. I am new here and to recording in general but not new to live music scenes and I would probably remember it if you split before I performed after taping the 2 acts before me so having something positive to say would certainly help you remain in the good graces of the house, audience, and artists involved if it appeared that you werent leaving because you thought they sucked....What goes around...comes around.

Vince

DPA4061>MMA6000>MT-I 2496
AKG CK91>SE 300 B>opti-V3>Oade BCM PMD671

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 12:03:57 PM »
I am going to tape a couple of acts on Thursday and I just listened to some mp3's online of the headliner.   :crazy:

I was asked to tape band #1 so they can use it as a demo.  I was asked to tape band #2 for a project that I am working on.  Would it be bad to tape the first two bands, break down, and high-tail it home before band #3 hit the stage??  Bad form? 

Can somone give me some snappy quips to spew if asked why I am leaving?  Something like, "Sorry guys, I have to wash my hair...big day tomorrow!"   ;D >:D

Reminds me of a time I showed up to tape just the opener...while setting up some guy comes up to me and asks if I'm taping Ordinary K (headliner) and I go  "No I'm just here for the Opener"...turns out the guy was the lead singer of Ordinary K....for like a year when ever that guy saw me he'd haze me for that...it was pretty funny...Ordinary K turned out to be a pretty decent band they moved to NYC a few years ago....can't remember who the opener was
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:52:58 PM »
I see no problem with it... In my opinion there's no point taping a band that I'll never listen to again... unless they want to pay me.

just run your own stand... I've had people clamped on to my stand decide to leave in the middle of the set... I didn't think that was very cool to be breaking down mid-set and possibly messing up my recording in the process.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »
hell ill break down during a band if the set is bad enough.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »

It sucks that open tapers have their big rigs with light stands and clamps and all that jazz.  Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

I'm not saying that it's right, but it sure does suck.  This is why stealthing is nice even in non-stealth situations.

Fake Edit: As a sidenote, I wanted to put in a ninja smiley or a "stealth taper" smiley but there isn't one.  Then I realized this board has virtually no smileys related to taping.  What's up with that.  How am I supposed to create entire posts using only emoticons if I have no 16 x 16 gif that says "Hey, I stealth!"

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 01:41:46 PM »
i did it once because my friend's band was opening, and they got me in for free. then i guess the 'headliner' found out about it, and wanted me to pay to stay for his set. his dad or something came up to me and said that. i just said "oh ok" tore down and left.
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 01:54:53 PM »
honestly- the band is there to entertain- if they arent entertaining then leave.  most people arent looking at your stand and stuff anyways- they should be watching the band.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 02:41:05 PM »

Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

people leave a show early for many reasons, especially when multiple bands are playing, just becase the venue has decided to make one the headliner does not mean that's why everyone is there, i do agree that breaking down mid set is more noticeable, but there are many reasons one needs to leave. i don't think nearly as many people pay attention to the tapers as we may perceive either. the band may notice but I highly doubt they'll stop playing to ask why you are leaving, a good bit of the crowd is probably there just to drink and socialize anyways regardless of the band thats actually playing. my .02
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
people leave a show early for many reasons, especially when multiple bands are playing, just becase the venue has decided to make one the headliner does not mean that's why everyone is there, i do agree that breaking down mid set is more noticeable, but there are many reasons one needs to leave. i don't think nearly as many people pay attention to the tapers as we may perceive either. the band may notice but I highly doubt they'll stop playing to ask why you are leaving, a good bit of the crowd is probably there just to drink and socialize anyways regardless of the band thats actually playing. my .02

No I agree with you for the most part.  It's not like everyone is there to see the tapers record the show.  I'm just saying it's a lot more noticable to see a guy taking down a 12' light stand than it is to see some guy just walk out.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »
It sucks that open tapers have their big rigs with light stands and clamps and all that jazz.  Breaking down mid-set for an open-taper is akin to someone in the audience pulling out a megaphone and saying "HAY GUYZ, THIS BAND SUCKS AND I WILL NOW LEAVE THANKS."

I'm not saying that it's right, but it sure does suck.  This is why stealthing is nice even in non-stealth situations.

Is this post serious or I am not getting the sarcasm?   

Breaking down mid set says that I don't want to be there anymore.  If someone thinks a band sucks because I don't want to tape then they need to decide why they are there themselves.   Why does it suck that I break down and leave in the middle of someone's set?  Seems to me the only thing that sucks is that you had to see half a set of a bad band to decide you don't like them.  I mean who gives a shit if a taper is there or not, ya know?  If the band takes an ego hit because a taper leaves then they obviously are not cut out for the music business.

And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?  (gewwang and leegeddy where are you) 

Also if some guys dad comes up to me and tells me I have to pay after already being on the guest list he had better hope I don't stick my stand up his ass.   

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:31 PM »
And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?

Because sometimes the section is located in an audibly crappy part of the venue and the best place to get a good tape is on the floor.

Not trying to start an argument or anything.  My earlier comments were, for the most part, not meant in 100% grave seriousness.

Let's all have a +T and agree that it sucks to sit through a shitty band.

EDIT: VVV If nothing else, it's usually a heckuva lot less gear to manage (well, it CAN be).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 03:19:58 PM by mojomonkee »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
And who stealth's because they want to instead of because they have to?  (gewwang and leegeddy where are you) 

I love stealthing, and I do so much more often than open, even if I can open tape.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:56 PM »
if anyone says anything just say "these guys suck and don't bring in any money on ebay!"

i'm JOKING OF COURSE, i don't promote the selling of any recordings
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »
I see no problem with it... In my opinion there's no point taping a band that I'll never listen to again... unless they want to pay me.

just run your own stand... I've had people clamped on to my stand decide to leave in the middle of the set... I didn't think that was very cool to be breaking down mid-set and possibly messing up my recording in the process.

I agree.  And if you are clamped to my stand, you will stay that way until set break.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 11:07:21 PM »
I've had to do this A LOT.  Most of the venues I tape in are an hour from my home, and there's 3-4 bands a night.  Lots of various reasons I've had to leave, but my most valued technique in these cases is to close/velcro the flap covering my Porta-Brace bag, quickly lower the stand and pick it up all in one motion, and get the hell out of dodge, mics still on stand.  I get outside the venue or to the car to do the actual tearing-down.  If it takes five seconds to split there's no time for anyone to give you grief :)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 11:08:59 PM »

I agree.  And if you are clamped to my stand, you will stay that way until set break.

Exactly.  And back when I was able to give out patches, if you patch from me, there will be no unplugging of your cable while the music's going.  Only took screwing up one of my own recordings by screwing around with cables because a patcher wants to leave.

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 01:05:50 PM »
I have broken down during sets when bands suck....I wouldnt recommend that....

so have i

it was during a kimock show
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 01:07:21 PM »

Exactly.  And back when I was able to give out patches, if you patch from me, there will be no unplugging of your cable while the music's going.  Only took screwing up one of my own recordings by screwing around with cables because a patcher wants to leave.

I had a patcher pull his deck on me once and it caused my DA-P1 to lock up....PITA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:40:12 PM by ethan »
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
Doesnt bother me in the slightest to break down.  I paid my money to the band/venue.  If I dont want to tape it really isnt any of their concern.  Also, unless its a small band with not alot of folks there, the people on stage arent going to see it (unless its the onstage thing).  When your on the stage with the lights in your face you cant see diddley beyond the first few rows of folks.  And if some patron in the audiance or another taper tries to give me grief, well thats just laughable.  Who are they to question what I do.  Ive only been in that situation a couple of times and let them politely know in no uncertain terms that they can just STFU....and they did ;)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:02 PM »
I wouldn't even worry about it.  I leave after openers all the time.

Saturday I was hired to tape the opening band at a club here in town.  The drummer for the headlining band came up and checked out my gear during the tail end of the set and asked what was up.  I told him I was hired to tape the opening band.  He said, "oh OK.  Are you sticking around for us then?"  I said "I hadn't planned on it." and that was that.  No grief, no guilt trip.  It's a club, after all.

Had he offered to pay me for my time like the opening band, I probably would have stayed.  It wasn't in my plan though, and it was going to take some $$$ to change that plan.

I agree with previous posters - most people won't care if you leave between bands and you're fully within your rights to do it and no-one there should be able to say boo to that.  At club shows that happens all the time anyway!  Tearing down in the middle of a room in the middle of a set though, that is bad form (although I have done it before and would certainly do it again if I had to).  Try to avoid it if you can.

Dirk

Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 03:22:22 PM »

I had to do this a few weeks ago, I felt AWFUL but the girl that came with us got sick and demanded we leave. I think it was Lance who let me clamp, if you're on these boards LET ME APOLOGIZE AGAIN.  Luckily, Lance was super cool, and he understood.

From now on if I'm clampin all members of my party will be clearly informed ahead of time that early departure is unacceptable.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 06:15:32 PM »
i say don't even think twice about it. Should be no problem. If anyone asks...go with Brian's advice..."I have other plans or have to get up early."

I have broken down in mid set of the band I came to tape b/c of a drunk teenager whom I was beginning to feel "unpeacefull" towards. >:( I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that either. If your gear's in danger....or your sanity....I say break it down.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 12:22:37 PM »
or... if somone were to ask; you could tell them that the sound is just too dang good to be recorded.
db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com