Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Presonus Firebox question  (Read 6651 times)

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
Presonus Firebox question
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »
Anyone know if the firebox will run standalone without the firewire?  Like mics>firebox>Microtracker[via spdif]?  I know it will need the 12v dc power, but not sure if the firewire connection is mandatory.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Presonus Firebox question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:05:32 PM »
Anyone know if the firebox will run standalone without the firewire?  Like mics>firebox>Microtracker[via spdif]?  I know it will need the 12v dc power, but not sure if the firewire connection is mandatory.

I just bought one to play around with.  Apparently it will pass signal to analog 1 and 2, but it will not automatically route through the SPDIF.  I did read somewhere that if you routed to the SPDIF and then unplugged the firewire it would continue to pass signal though...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
Thanks TNJazz, I am gonna pick up one of them soon and was just curious.  I wonder if you would be able to test personally if you had time.  No big deal if ya cant.  I wonder if it will remember the route after being unplugged from power too?  I highly doubt it, but would be cool if it did.  +T man.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »
Thanks TNJazz, I am gonna pick up one of them soon and was just curious.  I wonder if you would be able to test personally if you had time.  No big deal if ya cant.  I wonder if it will remember the route after being unplugged from power too?  I highly doubt it, but would be cool if it did.  +T man.

I am going to do some testing with it this weekend actually.  I will report back.  It's a really nice box overall from what I can tell though.  Very solid, and the stock preamps are not bad at all.  Of course I use Presonus gear all around, so maybe I'm a little biased...

Dirk

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
Cool Dirk, sounds good!

-dan
Still Missing Woody...

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »

I just bought one to play around with.  Apparently it will pass signal to analog 1 and 2, but it will not automatically route through the SPDIF.  I did read somewhere that if you routed to the SPDIF and then unplugged the firewire it would continue to pass signal though...

How do you "route" this thing?  I tried making SPDIF (outputs 9/10) the default in Windows.  And when I play audio, it comes out SPDIF OK.

That's fine, but the analog inputs (1-8) are not "routed" anywhere.  Sure, I hear them on the "input monitor", but nothing else.  It seems inputs and outputs are just treated independently (*).

(*) The most recent BIOS update from Presonus routes analog in (1-8) to analog out, so it can work as a standalone preamp.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
Looks like this is indeed the case.

SPDIF is not active on the Firebox unless it's set as the clock source in the Firebox control panel.  This activates it.  It appears that the mic pres pass through to the outs 1 and 2.  I didn't use the line inputs the other night so I'm not sure what they do, but my guess is they go to outputs 3 and 4.  SPDIF in routes automatically to SPDIF out.

I didn't look too closely at the routing possibilities in the Firebox software, as I was busy testing out a bunch of other stuff as well.  I'll give it another go one night this week though, and report back.

FWIW - 4 channels ROCK FUCKING SOLID on my laptop, at 24/96.

Dirk

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »
+t for smokin up the 4-channel > laptop.
Also, this is pretty interesting stuff, have you guys made any contact with presonus as far as feature requests for future firmware updates?

Seems like all you'd want is the s/pdif out active at a specific bit/sampling rate when firewire is not enabled. It might not be possible for them to do but, hey.. don't ask, don't get.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 01:44:50 PM »
+t for smokin up the 4-channel > laptop.
Also, this is pretty interesting stuff, have you guys made any contact with presonus as far as feature requests for future firmware updates?

Seems like all you'd want is the s/pdif out active at a specific bit/sampling rate when firewire is not enabled. It might not be possible for them to do but, hey.. don't ask, don't get.

Man that is a great idea!
Still Missing Woody...

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 10:04:54 PM »
Dirk,
Presonus is gonna have to send you a commission check before too long!  I'm going with the Firepod myself.  ;)
Socks are overrated.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:27:45 AM »
Question is, what bit/sampling rate would you want it to 'default' to? I'd bet you'd only get one.
24/96 might be too high for some, 16/44 wouldn't be too thrilling, 16/48 still smells like magnetic media, to me...
mic > wires > recorder

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:30:12 AM »
If there was a way that it would just "remember" the last setting that was used when the firewire was plugged in, that may work.  Hard to know if there is any hardware in the unit that could do such a thing when the power is switched off.
Still Missing Woody...

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »
You also could just throw this in your taping bag:

;D
Still Missing Woody...

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:36:41 AM »
If there was a way that it would just "remember" the last setting that was used when the firewire was plugged in, that may work.  Hard to know if there is any hardware in the unit that could do such a thing when the power is switched off.

The motu traveller and the new motu ultralight both allow you to 'create mixes' while attached to the pc and it will save them and allow you to access and even tweak them while in standalone mode. Of course, they cost a bit more and have fancy lcd dispays.
mic > wires > recorder

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »

The motu traveller and the new motu ultralight both allow you to 'create mixes' while attached to the pc and it will save them and allow you to access and even tweak them while in standalone mode. Of course, they cost a bit more and have fancy lcd dispays.

Yes, but they're still MOTU devices.

I want something that I *KNOW* will work each and every time.  For PC users, that brand name is unfortunately not MOTU.  Search the web for horror stories about MOTU and the PC platform, especially when updated firmware or drivers are released. 

The Ultralight definitely looks like a sweet device though.  I'm almost tempted to try one out.

Smokydays - how would an Ipod help?  Would it somehow act as a controller?

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 09:46:54 AM »

That's the new Microsoft Origami.  It runs a full version of Windows XP and has firewire/usb.

Edit to say:  That Ultralight does indeed look sweet!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:48:36 AM by smokydays »
Still Missing Woody...

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 09:57:13 AM »

That's the new Microsoft Origami.  It runs a full version of Windows XP and has firewire/usb.

Origami eh?  I'm going to have to check that out!  Looks kind of like a Sony U70 mated with an Ipod...

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 10:01:43 AM »

Origami eh?  I'm going to have to check that out!  Looks kind of like a Sony U70 mated with an Ipod...

They are calling it an "Ultra Mobile PC".  Here's a link to their site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx

Looks like Samsung may be the first to market with one.

Still Missing Woody...

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 11:02:24 AM »

The problem is: 1) MOTU devices cost a bit more, 2) the quality, of the Traveler at least, is not as good, at least stock,
3) maybe drivers issues on Windows, but I'm not sure about this.

Oh yeah, well, I've already got the Presonus...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 12:21:19 PM »
Question is, what bit/sampling rate would you want it to 'default' to? I'd bet you'd only get one.
24/96 might be too high for some, 16/44 wouldn't be too thrilling, 16/48 still smells like magnetic media, to me...

If I had to pick a default, I'd choose 24/48.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 12:38:46 PM »
As for the origami, It runs XP tablet edition...
But thats a whole other thread.

mic > wires > recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com