Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD Postage Pricing  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Sparge Master

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Sparge Master's List
CD Postage Pricing
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Hey I know there use to be an old list on postage for a mailer and cds. I need to send a few out to different bands and really want to stay away from the PO so anyone know where I can find this list?

Thank You
1-2-3 Pound
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: CD Postage Pricing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:20:43 AM »
Something like this?

1 CD- .87/ .63
2 CDs- .87/ .87
3 CDs- 1.11/ .87
4 CDs- 1.35/1.11
5 CDs- 1.35/1.35
6 CDs- 1.59/1.35
7 CDs- 1.83/1.59
8 CDs- 1.83/1.83
9 CDs- 2.07/1.83
10 CDs- 2.07/2.07
11 CDs- 2.31/2.31
12 CDs- 2.55/2.31
13 CDs- 2.79/2.55
14 CDs- 2.79/2.79
15 CDs- 3.03/2.79
more than 15, use priority mail

~ the first column is outbound rate (blanks in paper envelope/case logic type sleeves, note, bubble mailer and manilla envelope); second rate is the returning bubble mailer and discs

~ note: these have not been checked with actual blanks and mailers so may not be entirely acurate, use as a guide only but you won't be too far off postage wise

I sent two discs in one paper sleeve in a small clasp envelope and it was $.63 so the above list isn't entirely accurate but is pretty close.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 12:00:02 PM »
I hate going to the PO too.  Really slows down my getting shows out.  I took a bunch of CDs, sleeves and the bubble mailers I like to the PO and weighed them and jotted down the postage and weights.. Worked pretty well.  More recently I just bit the bullet and spent $25 to get a good digital postal scale.

I do also... they always think something is up
and don't understand why we send discs to people
"Is there anything fragile, liquid, or perishable?"

back in my youth that scale could have had other uses >:D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:04:51 PM by darby »

Offline johnnyb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
I hate going to the PO too.  Really slows down my getting shows out.  I took a bunch of CDs, sleeves and the bubble mailers I like to the PO and weighed them and jotted down the postage and weights.. Worked pretty well.  More recently I just bit the bullet and spent $25 to get a good digital postal scale.

i mail my cds most of the time in a mail box and never have had a problem,My PO is a joke as theres always a huge line and half the people there are wanting passports not postage
R9 Dpa 4061 Hebs-CA Cards-CA 9100 Preamp

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

i mail my cds most of the time in a mail box and never have had a problem,My PO is a joke as theres always a huge line and half the people there are wanting passports not postage

And only one clerk at the counter when there are 5 open spaces for other clerks who seem to never actually be there.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

I don't believe they "think something is up", but rather they're required to ask the question, kinda like the airlines used to be required to ask about luggage when checking in.

At any rate, without knowing precisely what mailer and sleeves you're using, no one can really identify what it will cost since it's dependent on weight.

I, too, picked up an inexpensive digital scale and use the USPS Postage Calculator web page.  I go to the PO only every once in a while, during off-peak hours, to get books of stamps that I use for months on end until I run out.  Or, alternatively, one may buy stamps online.  Lastly, one could buy & print postage online, but USPS only offer Express and Priority Mail options (no First Class, hmph) for buying & printing postage.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
maybe so at your post office...

but at the ones I go to
I get the feeling that they think something is up
especially if they see me at any one branch more than once a month

like I said_ they just don't understand why WE mail discs
and it has nothing to do with fragile/liquid/or perishable

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:23:37 PM by darby »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »
maybe so at your post office...

but at the ones I go to
I get the feeling that they think something is up
especially if they see me at any one branch more than once a month

like I said_ they just don't understand why WE mail discs
and it has nothing to do with fragile/liquid/or perishable

Try mailing -any- package...they'll ask the exact same question.  Maybe they won't "think something is up" if you don't wear the tinfoil hat into the USPS next time.  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »
I was saw this 55-60ish woman mailing a decent size box.. (I was next in line).

"What are you shipping?"
"Beer"
"Shipment of alcohol blah blah prohibited"
"Milk!  I meant milk!"
"Mam, you just told me the box contained beer. You cannot ship beer."

I laughed my ass off... but then I was called to another agent so I don't know how it went..

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Online guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 11:22:08 PM »
And only one clerk at the counter when there are 5 open spaces for other clerks who seem to never actually be there.

At my local post office it's worse than that.  There will be 15 people in line and only one clerk will be taking customers while a couple of other clerks are there puddering around doing busy work - seemingly oblivious to the long line.  Another clerk will peek out from the back room, see the long line... and turn around and go right back into the rear of the office.  Or another clerk will walk in the door (probably returning from a break), see the long line... and do they go man one of the spaces and start seeing customers??  Hell no!  They make a beeline for the backroom.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
Old thread but.....  Something that didn't come up is that music CDs and DVDs qualify for Media Mail rates.  They can be much cheaper, especially for heavy stuff (books).

Otherwise the PO pushes a lot of packages up to priority mail, and that's expensive.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:46:45 AM »
media mail takes forever, though. much rather send first class*

* i haven't done a snail trade since about 2007, though
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline jethro bo deen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:42 AM »
At The Post Office,  the nice clerks   will   let   you  know   WHICH  mail option  is    cheapest     (MEDIA,   1stClass  , Priority,  etc)

First Class Mail is   lower cost (cheaper)    than   MEDIA Rate    UNTIL   YOU GET  TO   A   CERTAIN  WEIGHT.         For  Example   6 or 8  cdrs   just  wrapped in  a paper towel  and  wrapped in  White Blank Copier paper with clear pkg tape    is    cheapest going First Class.
20 cdrs   stacked  and wrapped  the same  way   will go   MEDIA Rate at lower cost.

There is  a minimum  package size requirement that The Post Office has.     Just as long  as you  SQUARE the  dimensions of  Round CD,  with   a   bit of  thick paper/stiff magazine cover piece/or some other paper stock from the wastebasket.     

The Post Office people are required to ask on every package:   Is there anything  Liquid,  Fragile, or Hazardous?       They  don't  think you are a criminal.          You  don't need to use  nice,  new bubble packages.         The Post office does not care if it is  old reused recycled packaging or homemade package,  so long  as it complies.

One Thing,   if  you are taking your package to the Post Office   and  YOU WANT TO DETERMINE THE LOWEST COST METHOD,    do not write  anything like   Media/1st Class/Priority     on   your package yet.         LET THEM DETERMINE  WHICH METHOD IS LOWEST COST  and  then they will rubber stamp or affix stickers AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE  for  whichever method  ( MEDIA  / 1st CLASS/ Priority )

The notion that  MEDIA RATE is Very Slow is WRONG  for all cases.    For example if you are mailing to a  neighboring large/medium metropolitan area   within  300 miles,     it  should not be  any different  than  1st Class,    at least that has been my experience.    I've been  mailing  tapes/etc for 35 years or more ,   back when MEDIA RATE was Special 4th class Rate or whatever.

The Postal clerks in my area post offices  are always   the  most  helpful  and knowledgeable   and  do an outstanding job.     I wish more govt  employees were like some of the postal employees in my area.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
I once bought a 6-pack of canned beer and mailed each can to different friends around the country with no packaging at all, just the naked can with a mailing label and postage stuck on it. Four cans made it, two dissapeared. That was about 25 years ago though- regulations more lax, cans thicker than today.

Similary I mailed flat rocks from a beach in Wales to several freinds in the US as postcards.  Wrote on the rocks and attached 'slow-boat' postage. All of those made it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com