Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm FREAKING OUT!!!! HELP w/USB DRIVE  (Read 4427 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm FREAKING OUT!!!! HELP w/USB DRIVE
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
So I bought a new 320GB western digital external usb harddrive just for high sierra.  I dumped all my flashcards to it no problem.  NOW it's making a squealing noise and giving me problems ie: can't find file, the whole 24bit file of CF dumps came up empty, then it came back after a shut down.  And, then when I went to move a 2GB file on to it it said it would take 48 minutes to move.  I'm in the process of clearing 70gb of space to try to move everything off of there.  BUT, if I have trouble I WILL FREAK OUT!  It has ALL of my 24bit recordings from HSMF.  Anybody have any ideas?  thanx, Kirk

OFFICIALLY FREAKIN....I plugged it in and it says it isn't formatted...60 gigs missing, fuck fuck fuck fuck...Anybody got any help?????
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:10:51 PM by kirkd »

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: usb hardrive problems...I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but I have the exact same problem with my iriver h120 HD.

After around 1.2gb, the won't let me add any more files, the estimating time goes up and up until it just comes up with an error.

Are there any programs or anything I can run on it to fix it (CHKDSK doesnt seem to work unless I'm doing it wrong).

Thanks.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

kskreider

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »
If you have extra space on the USB drive I would suggest using an app like CDWave and loading the file up, splitting it into 2-3 chunks and then saving to that drive or to your other drive (C:), or both.

Also try a defrag.

Also try creating an MD5, burning the MD5 and the wav both directly to a DVD and then using that to move/verify to another machine/drive.  Get creative, man.  Good luck!  Deep breaths!

I dont imagine that it is header related if it is a physically squealing drive.

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:55:18 PM »
If you have extra space on the USB drive I would suggest using an app like CDWave and loading the file up, splitting it into 2-3 chunks and then saving to that drive or to your other drive (C:), or both.

Also try a defrag.

Also try creating an MD5, burning the MD5 and the wav both directly to a DVD and then using that to move/verify to another machine/drive.  Get creative, man.  Good luck!  Deep breaths!

I gotta move like 60gb of data to clear the drive.  I'm clearing space on another drive and will try turning on the drive then to do a major transfer...still plenty of time to panic and freak out ???

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »

Also try a defrag.

I gotta move like 60gb of data to clear the drive.  I'm clearing space on another drive and will try turning on the drive then to do a major transfer...still plenty of time to panic and freak out ???

OFFICIALLY FREAKIN....I plugged it in and it says it isn't formatted...60 gigs missing, fuck fuck fuck fuck...Anybody got any help?Huh??

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: I'm FREAKING OUT!!!! HELP w/USB DRIVE
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
That happened to me with one of my WD external drives (a 320GB too). I was using it as a backup to drives inside my desktop. A few days after I loaded everything up...poof, all gone. Luckily it was the backup and the originals were still in place.

Now I have a semi-fool proof system. I copy the contents of my recording to my main live show HD inside my desktop, and work on the files from there. All the while, I keep the original recordings on my JB3. After I finish editing the recording and track it out, I save it on the same drive, all tracked out, then I put the original file(s) on my external drive.

Finally, after I have copies on two different drives, I clear the files on my JB3.

I really should make extra sure I'm covered by making DVD-R backups of everything, but that is pretty time consuming. I'm hoping and praying that I can survive like this until BLU-Ray drives/media become a bit more affordable. Also, might want to note that I once thought that I could save space on my drives by not saving shows that I had uploaded to the archive. That was all fine and dandy until I looked up one of my shows on the archive and got some sort of page that said the files from that show were "missing." Luckily someone at the LMA must have found them because the show is back. Moral of the story is, don't trust the LMA as a backup.

I've also been thinking of getting an additional HD to back up my original files to keep offsite. God forbid if my house burns down (or someone steals my computer after my roomie leaves the front door open). And if it does burn down, it sure will be nice to have my recordings to listen to during the aftermath.

+T for your troubles. I hope someone else was recording some of those shows.

Just remember folks, Hard Drives make HORRIBLE backups. They are not very reliable. It is unlikely that 2 HD's might die at the same time, but not impossible. Also if you don't make frequent backups you may not notice that your backup HD is corrupted, then when your primary dies, you're screwed.

I find that all of this work is mandatory for me, as I don't listen to CD's much (especially not live shows), so I don't even have a backup of recent shows on CD. I usually playback at home from my desktop, and convert to MP3 to listen to in the car etc. on my iPod.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

kskreider

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »
I know that I have said this before but I would try Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS before totally freaking out.  Although, if I HEARD a drive make a grinding, screeching, or clicking sound I'd freak out too.  If it is recoverable Stellar should be able to access it for you.  Remember, Google is your friend.

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »
I know that I have said this before but I would try Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS before totally freaking out.  Although, if I HEARD a drive make a grinding, screeching, or clicking sound I'd freak out too.  If it is recoverable Stellar should be able to access it for you.  Remember, Google is your friend.

YOU RAWK :clapping:  I can see them now and shit I had 82 gigs on there just gotta clear a little more room for recovery.  I'll let you know how it goes, I owe ya some beer :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds: :suds::cheers:

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
Right on!! Let us know how thing turn out in the end. I've heard that program can take quite a bit of time (like days) to recover a drive, but a few days is totally worth it to get back something that would otherwise be gone forever!
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »
Right on!! Let us know how thing turn out in the end. I've heard that program can take quite a bit of time (like days) to recover a drive, but a few days is totally worth it to get back something that would otherwise be gone forever!

Only $69 too.  Sure cheaper than taking it to someone.  only need to move 20 more gigs and well see how it goes :o

kskreider

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
Good luck.  IT has worked for me and many others afterwards.  Best of luck. 

If it works out I'd be interested in a couple HSMF sets.  And if you come down to the SF Bay then maybe we could match a beer and talk some shop.   8)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:53:19 AM »
And for future reference:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,65307.0.html

Not really a proper backup plan - like if your house burns down - but will provide redundancy in the case of HDD failure.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 01:10:08 AM »
Good luck.  IT has worked for me and many others afterwards.  Best of luck. 

If it works out I'd be interested in a couple HSMF sets.  And if you come down to the SF Bay then maybe we could match a beer and talk some shop.   8)

It's a deal, or you could venture to the Portland, Or area ;D

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »
does that program work if the drive is making a clicking sound?
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

kskreider

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:35:09 PM »
does that program work if the drive is making a clicking sound?

That was when I first tried it on mine.  It's worth a shot, but be prepared to piss away a little bit trying.

kirk97132

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:47 PM »

Only $69 too.  Sure cheaper than taking it to someone.  only need to move 20 more gigs and well see how it goes :o

ok now up to $100 and still not recovered.  Waiting on a friends pro help.  Fuck me 42 gigs of 24/96 files that may never be recovered.  It is just plain discouraging, makes me just wanna say fuck it.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
don't give up hope!
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

kskreider

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
Shit kirk, I'm sorry.  I am with Ian here though.  Try it on another machine.  As a last resort maybe even try cracking it open and sliding the drive into an external case.  Maybe it is just a power supply issue.  Don't give up!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:03:48 PM »
Dang. I hope this works out..

If your drive is making a noise it is extremely unlikely any software activity will recover anything. In that situation the more you screw around with it, the worse it may get. In "noise" cases you generally need pro help.

then it came back after a shut down.  And, then when I went to move a 2GB file on to it it said it would take 48 minutes to move.

Never ever write or attempt to modify a drive that has given you hints of trouble. It can only make things worse. I don't even like the idea of plugging a drive in that condition into a windows box. At least under linux you can mount a drive Read Only and not have to worry about the OS attempting to update file access times, etc (windows LOVES to write to your drives even when you aren't actually writing anything).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com