Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samplitude version differences, anyone using the Master edition?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Samplitude version differences, anyone using the Master edition?
« on: December 10, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »
I've been putting off buying (and committing to the learning curve of) audio editing software for too long, tired of futzing with Audacity on occasion I'm ready to pull the trigger.  I'm WinXP based.

I had planned on jumping in with Samplitude SE, which seems to be an outstanding value.  But after looking over the various versions on the Magix site, I'm tempted by their Master V10 edition listed for $300.  It seems limited to 2 or 4 tracks which is probably fine (I do want to x-fade and be able to do matrix work, but realistically I don't need full blown multitrack capability at this point).  However it includes many of the more advanced options of the more costly full blown editions that I think I'd like.  Here's their comparison between the current versions.

Anyone using a previous version of the Samplitude Master edition?  Happy with it? Shortcomings?

I don't tend to place a huge amount of value in most bundled 'add on value' stuff in general, but the Master version does includes 'Spectral Cleaning' and comes bundled with their 'Cleaning and Restoration Suite' that may be handy, though I won't deceive myself into thinking that a little spectral cleaning would magically and painlessly eliminate the guy coughing and playing with candy wrappers next to the mics in a few otherwise stellar acoustic recordings.  

So I'm looking for insights on the comparison between Samplitude versions for our uses and also comments on where to purchase & deals available anyone is aware of.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Samplitude version differences, anyone using the Master edition?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
GB - I use SAM8 SE.  It does a lot.  Why not D/L the free trial versions and see how they work?  The SE is now in 9.  For the pin-headed work I do I find the SAM8 just great.  But that is kind of like a color-blind fellow saying he sees colors just fine.  ;)  Until I try a more expensive flavor I do not know what I am missing.

I will tell you that SAM is a great editor.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:14 PM »
i know the SE version 8 has some restrictions on the number of VST plugins you can use for a particular track or project

i believe SE 8 does not offer one of the dither schemes as well but I could be wrong

that being said i have had no issues doing 4 track stuff in SE8 and was considering SE9 at some point
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
i know the SE version 8 has some restrictions on the number of VST plugins you can use for a particular track or project

According to the chart Gb referenced, v9 SE retains the insert limit:  2 internal, 2 VST.

The chart references SmartDithering (SD) and Pow-R, neither of which is available in SE.  SD is available in SAM 10 Master and upwards (SAM 10 Master, SAM 10, SAM 10 Pro, Sequoia 10), while Pow-R is available in SAM and upwards (SAM 10, SAM 10 Pro, Sequoia 10).  But maybe there's another dither algo that's available in v9 SE, but not in v8 SE.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »
^^
That's one of the things I'm particularly interested in, others in bold below.

I've played around with the demo.  I know the quality is there and i've already decided to make the investent (in my time mostly) in some variety of SAM.

Here are a few things from the chart that are in the Master edition that are not in LE SE.  There are many others, but I just grabbed some of which I thought may apply to what I plan on doing-

Dual CPU Support (I've only got one currently)
Master Automation
Object Automation
Cleaning & Restoration Suite (Declipper, Declicker, Decrackler, Denoiser, Briliance Enhancer)Spectral Cleaning
UTR Ultra Transparent Resampling
Stereo Editor with Effect Presets in Track Editor and Mixer
K-Metering System
EQ Automation <<<(this is a big one for me)
Defining FX Sequence
FFT Filter
Noise Reduction
Advanced Dynamics
Stereo Enhancer
Object Multiband Enhancer
Convolution
Comparasonics
Manager (Files, Objects, Markers, Tracks, Ranges, Takes)
Asymmetrical Crossfades
Smart Dithering

In LE SE but not Master-
Midi (I don't MIDI)
ReWire
Auto Jam Session (I might actually use that)

[edit to change LE to SE. Also what is SAM music studio version? a lite or bundled SE?]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:54:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
i bought v8classic legitamately, for under a bill, and there is no limit on plugins (except the limits imposed by cpu and disc space)...

best value ever!
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:24:34 AM »
i bought v8classic legitamately, for under a bill, and there is no limit on plugins (except the limits imposed by cpu and disc space)...

best value ever!

Where'd you get it?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
ebay
-macdaddy ++

Offline boojum

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »
That's a good price.  Was it legitimate?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
oh yeah - totally legit. the only drag is the usb dongle, but i guess that is to thwart piracy, and there is nothing you can do about it...

-macdaddy ++

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:05 PM »
The SAM version comp page for v10 mentions 'Hardware Copy Protection' which is a USB dongle I'd guess? -

SAM Music Studio -none
SAM9SE -none
SAM10 & 10Master -optional
SAM10 pro and Sequoia - required (network ready)

optional?

Offline boojum

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »
What is a "dongle?"  What is a "USB dongle?"
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 09:08:04 PM »
in this case its a USB key that must be present in one of the USB drives in order for the software to work
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »
the usb dongle is a security dealio - the way i understand it (and the way it seems to work for me) is that you have a usb thumb drive that is hardcoded with the signature of the software you bought (the specific copy of your software). at ALL times when using your software, the usb drive must be inserted.

from one of the above posts, it looks like they dont make a "classic" version anymore - i alwayss wondered why it (samplitude v8classic) was so seemingly underpriced - it is the most powerful audio editor for windows, imo...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:13:14 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
It doesn't just work with one version. I use the same dongle for V7 and V8. You have to register your new software with them and they issue a code that works with that dongle. (If I remember correctly).

The USB dongles seem to work well. You can pay a fee to get a new one if your old one gets damaged or lost. The led flashes on the dongle when it is accessed. It checks it when the program loads and I think at very infrequent intervals while it is running.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com