Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re-centering stereo image of a recording  (Read 5528 times)

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Re-centering stereo image of a recording
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »
Oops you're right.  The vocals sound more central, but the kick sounds a bit off to the left.  There's something strange going on in this recording.  The low-end seems centered in the recording, but the rest felt a bit right.

This might have happend if the house's low-end subs were not at the same position as their house speakers, or if there was a lot of reflection of the high-end from the right side.  Either way, I'm going to bet it was the venue's speaker system at fault, and not some piece of gear.

On the topic of correcting it, I don't know a plugin that can break audio down by frequency and then pan it left/right.  Manually you could transform it similar to how a crossover works--by splitting it into different signals based on frequency.  This means using an EQ to roll-off all but the lows, mids and highs, each into a separate file/fader.  Then pan the different frequencies around to correct the stereo image.

I'm pretty sure sequoia has some built in "image tools" which would in a round about way allow you to accomplish just that. I'm fairly sure that one can eq a channel at a time and then pan from there which would basically get the same results if I understand you correctly.

On a side note. 
a local engineer told me long ago.  "you cant polish a turd" I took it as sometimes you just gotta let it go and not try to hear all the shit you cant fix and focus on a things you can.  keep it from being muddy, dont over compress it and make it fatiguing to the ear.  .... ect
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
Your S1 tweaking went a bit far, I think.
A difference of opinion on mastering is another reason I really don't like post. Anyone ever see this site before? http://www.dontcrack.com/ Maybe this would work?

Here's source info on the recording: SP LSD2 (cards, XY@135º) > T+mod UA-5 > iRiver H120 > iMac G5 > Audacity (tracking)
I remember DSatz commenting that cards XY90º weren't ideal. Of course he also mentioned "angular distortion" at angles >90º and basically said stereo mics weren't good for much besides M/S and Blumlein. I'm not sure the angle is responsible for these sonic anomalies since my XY90º and Blumlein recordings at that stage all have this problem. Anyone else run cards XY > 90º and have good results?

I know the LSD2 is supposed to be cake to run, but could aiming the mic slightly to the left or right by accident account for this? Would adding gain to level out each channel not compensate?

Btw, if you liked the music, The Myriad just won an MTV2 competition.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:48:50 AM by CliveStaples »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »
I found a plugin that functions as a multi-band compressor and allows for panning of frequency ranges: Voxengo Soniformer2

I believe they offer a demo download if anybody wants to play.

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »

I just stumbled across this thread, as I was wondering the same thing and asked a similar question in another forum.  I was directed to a plugin in Reaper.  I haven't tried it yet, but this may be a low cost option for you.  If anyone has any experience, please let us know if it worked for you....otherwise, I'll update this at some point....

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16518

Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com