Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback sluttiness....  (Read 27726 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Playback sluttiness....
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:51 PM »
missed the fedex guy with my sacd player from oade bros. today  :(
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »
picked up the sacd player from the fedex terminal today, got home, and found that power outlet on my doorstep. boy does that thing make a difference. another +t to you, tim, for pointing me towards that unit...

now the only problem is that my wife just called, and she really wants to go out and do the "nice evening" thing - i just wanna stay home and crank tunes...

-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2005, 10:23:11 PM »
+T backatcha :)

Sara works unitil 9pm on monday, wednesday, and friday... it's great I get 4-5 hours by myself to listen to whatever I want.  good stuff...

I think you'll like the Furutech. I had Todd R over last weekend and turned the amp on, switched to both the dat and cd inputs with nothing playing and turned the amp up *all* the way and there was literally *nothing* coming from the spealers... NO sound, nothing at all. You'll really enjoy it. :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2005, 10:27:15 PM »
+T backatcha :)

I think you'll like the Furutech. I had Todd R over last weekend and turned the amp on, switched to both the dat and cd inputs with nothing playing and turned the amp up *all* the way and there was literally *nothing* coming from the spealers... NO sound, nothing at all. You'll really enjoy it. :)

exactly - i did the same thing - no noise, not even from my computer source...

where do i attach the ground cable (it was included but i dont see where it should go)...
-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2005, 10:43:35 PM »
I have no idea. I've been wondering that myself. Looks like it may go with the 80 version.

what power cable are you running from wall to the furutech. I'm running some hospital cord that I was able to get my hands on but wouldn't mind getting something nice.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2005, 10:46:21 PM »
I have no idea. I've been wondering that myself. Looks like it may go with the 80 version.

what power cable are you running from wall to the furutech. I'm running some hospital cord that I was able to get my hands on but wouldn't mind getting something nice.

i was gonna ask you the same thing...i am using a cord from an old 'puter monitor. i probably should do something about that, but those things are big bucks...

gotta love the gear that stays in the background - the sacd player is a bit hard to hide :P

edit:

now it's time to move on to the cables... i have poking around here...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:09:56 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »
thanks for the link!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2005, 05:15:42 PM »
this guy is apparently local around here...makes high end cables...dont know anything about him, but I am considering getting him to make me an upgraded power cable for my receiver.

www.moon-audio.com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2005, 09:18:54 AM »
I made a couple of the venhaus power cords.  can't fluff them enough. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2005, 09:21:30 AM »
yeah, nick pointed me to the Bob Crump DIT power cords yesterday

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

I am going to have to give this a shot I do believe...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2005, 10:28:40 AM »
If you build the Crump cord, would you be interested in doing a comparison?  I need to build a couple of cords and I was going to use the venhaus recipe again.  I like it but it's the only one I've tried so I'm intersted in trying some others.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2005, 10:35:28 AM »
how much do you save making them yourself? i am looking at flavor 3 for my joLida...

-macdaddy ++

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2005, 10:37:19 AM »
If you build the Crump cord, would you be interested in doing a comparison? I need to build a couple of cords and I was going to use the venhaus recipe again. I like it but it's the only one I've tried so I'm intersted in trying some others.

I would be happy to...but I probably wont get to it for a couple of weeks...shoot nmculbreth a PM...he has one that he currently uses today and would probably be interested in doing a comp right now!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2005, 11:13:08 AM »
how much do you save making them yourself? i am looking at flavor 3 for my joLida...

I don't remember exactly.  I built a 3 foot flavor 1 and a 10ft flavor 2.  What I built was equivalent to the base model he sells with watgate IEC and Marinco plug.  I spent about $160 in parts.  I think the cost difference was about $20 a cord for the assembled ones, maybe less.  At the time I remember thinking that I wish I had just bought them assembled because it was a real PITA to push 10ft of twisted wire through the airhose for the long flavor 2.  I think for shorter lengths it wouldn't be as much hassle. 

The flavor 1 was pretty easy and quick - 10 minutes if your tools are handy.  That one could be worth your time. 

I don't know if there is a sonic difference between the flavor 1 and flavor 3 when used on a unit that requires no ground wire.  But if I wanted a flavor 3 and my gear would accept a 3 wire IEC, I'd make a flavor 1 instead just because having that ground wire makes the cable more widely applicable.  Send Chris an email and ask him if the ground wire has a negative sonic impact inplace of a flavor 3 cable.  He's a really nice guy.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2005, 11:21:19 AM »
Send Chris an email and ask him if the ground wire has a negative sonic impact inplace of a flavor 3 cable.  He's a really nice guy.

+t for the info, maynard.

my experience with him has been great - prompt shipping, too. i just bought that furutech(sp) power outlet from him. and that thing is sweet - no noise...

as for the time vs. money thing with cables i am on the fence - i have done some of the cat5 stuff, and it is kind of a pain in the a$$. it might be worth it to just buy the cables from him - his prices are VERY reasonable for all this stuff...

edit:

what about this thing..?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:42:39 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com