Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: say you had 2k, what would be a good tube preamp and amp  (Read 4592 times)

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
say you had 2k, what would be a good tube preamp and amp
« on: March 21, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
So what do some of yall think would be good, this will for now go into a set of monitor audio br6s, but in th uture will be used with something along the lines of von schweikert vr4jrs, any ideas or am i lowballing my numbers here?  Any help would be great!  Thanks!
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline Tim

• Needs to get out more...
Re: say you had 2k, what would be a good tube preamp and amp
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
ss amp?

any thoughts about integrated tube amps? There's some nice Cary Audio gear around that price point
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
E.A.R YOSHINO INTEGRATED...!!!

phewww that was a relief

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
If your interested...I may have a deal for you under $2K
Cary monoblock tube amps [CAD-50MKII signature] and a Golden Tube Audio peramp [SEP-1]
I plan to put them up on Audiogon this month.

PM if interested.

So what do some of yall think would be good, this will for now go into a set of monitor audio br6s, but in th uture will be used with something along the lines of von schweikert vr4jrs, any ideas or am i lowballing my numbers here?  Any help would be great!  Thanks!
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:05:02 AM »
now you're talking
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
Tim, I have been on the McIntosh kick lately so I would say a nice tube pre-amp with a McIntosh solid state amp. Tons of options out there for model numbers, get in touch if you want to talk specifics. There are so many choices out there for tube pre-amps but I would say an Audible Illusions M3 can be found for less than $1,000 on Agon. Then I would add a nice solid state amp, sticking with my Mac suggestion you could find a nice MC 2105 or 2155 for about $1,000 on Agon as well. Couldn't beat that combo with a stick honestly. If McIntosh isn't your cup of tea even though they have awesome resale value you could find any number of classic solid state amps to work with the Audible pre-amp (a classic in its own right!) such as DNA-1, BAT VK200, Classe, Bryston, the list goes on & on.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
Timmy,  there is McIntosh stuff on Craigs List - I see it every other day...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=MCINTOSH

Also this: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/607878077.html

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:07:39 AM »
I'll offer a vote for simplicity.
Manley Stingray.
:)
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1210896786

I'd also look into Dared and Shanling to see what sort of tube monoblocks you might pick up.  those are just so pretty...

the comobo of tube preamp and SS amp is nice.  best of both worlds.
Something I was dying to try and never got around to it was the PSA class D amp.  It was all the rage a few years ago, and probably a dime a dozen now in the used market.  They were supposed to excel in the bass dept.  Slap a nice preamp in front and that could be a real winner.

I too have been lulled by the Audible Illusions preamps as of recent.  really nice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:11:17 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:58:42 AM »
I'll offer a vote for simplicity.
Manley Stingray.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1210896786

I'd also look into Dared and Shanling to see what sort of tube monoblocks you might pick up.  those are just so pretty...

the comobo of tube preamp and SS amp is nice.  best of both worlds.
Something I was dying to try and never got around to it was the PSA class D amp.  It was all the rage a few years ago, and probably a dime a dozen now in the used market.  They were supposed to excel in the bass dept.  Slap a nice preamp in front and that could be a real winner.

I too have been lulled by the Audible Illusions preamps as of recent.  really nice.

the stingray is mighty nice looking and seems to have gotten great reviews, have you heard one nick?  anyone else?  I would definitely like to check it out in person

KM140>V2>722

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
yes, I had one for a while.  Glorious sounding.  very pretty to look at.  especially at night w/the logo lit up and all those tubes rockin'.

fire bottles !

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
yes, I had one for a while.  Glorious sounding.  very pretty to look at.  especially at night w/the logo lit up and all those tubes rockin'.

fire bottles !

Nice thanks nick, I think it will take me a while to get the $$$ together, but a little extra work here and there and I may treat myself, so we will see, with a new house my wife may spend it all before I can get one!

KM140>V2>722

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »

fire bottles !

Nice thanks nick, I think it will take me a while to get the $$$ together, but a little extra work here and there and I may treat myself, so we will see, with a new house my wife may spend it all before I can get one!

if its anything like the taping gear she may get more use out of the playback than you do!

hope all is well  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

fire bottles !

if its anything like the taping gear she may get more use out of the playback than you do!

hope all is well  ;D

NICE   :lol:
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 07:09:46 AM »

its such a pretty piece of gear.  I hope you get it.  it would compliment any new home.

J.T.L

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »

BAM! :lol:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com