Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using 2 Vark Extensions to make a variable angle Kwon style bar  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Using 2 Vark Extensions to make a variable angle Kwon style bar
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Meant to post this a while back, but never got around to it, and a PM just prompted me to do it now.  :)

The goal was to use a pair of Vark extension tubes & a couple adapters + Schoeps SGC clips to get a Kwon style bar, but with an adjustable angle. So materials are just 2 Vark Bars (2 x $49.00 = $98), one Female 3/8 to 5/8" Male ($3.95), and 2 Schoeps SGC clips ($22 x 2 = $44). Total cost = $145.95.

Parts - there are also the 2 Vark risers & another adapter pictured that are not used.

Insert the adapter into one of the extension tube ends:

Mount clips on studs:

Screw the 2 tubes together, using the clips to make sure the alignment is correct. This is where it's a little tricky, you will have to fidget a bit with the adapter to get it right, but it's not that hard.

In the Donut:

from above (bad pic)

With caps in:

Spacing is about 25 cm.....

.....which led me to replacing one of the extensions with a 5/8" female to 3/8" male adapter. I only had a silver one, so it looks ugly, but spacing is closer to 20cm.

The other benefit is you can hack down the spare Vark bar to a low pro X/Y mount. I did not actually do this, this is MS Paint'd for your viewing pleasure, but you get the idea.

So in the end, you have a Vark bar, a ~ 25cm spaced adjustable angle bar, a ~20cm spaced adjustable angle bar, and a low-pro coincident mount (and a spare riser). Not bad IMO.

Side note- the 2nd vark bar I got was different than the first. It's slightly larger & has more squared edges. Pic:
Top = old, Bottom = new

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: Using 2 Vark Extensions to make a variable angle Kwon style bar
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
very nice, matt.  ;D
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.181 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com