Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 460 vs jw mod 460? anyone have something handy?  (Read 5107 times)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
460 vs jw mod 460? anyone have something handy?
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »

I just bought some 460's and I am considering the mod.  My searches fail a true comp.  I'm hasty, as I know one will surface soon.  Do you have one to share?

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: 460 vs jw mod 460? anyone have something handy?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
Head over to www.tapers.org & us FTP to grab the AKG-460-mod460-480-comp.flac16/ from Drive 1.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
Head over to www.tapers.org & us FTP to grab the AKG-460-mod460-480-comp.flac16/ from Drive 1.

perfect!...d/l'ing now...thanks!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:20:32 AM »

What's your consensus of this comp?
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
i personally prefer the stock 460 to the modded 460. just my .02 though

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Interesting timing.  Ted did a comp Wednesday night with stock 460's and JWmod 460s.  He forgot to write down which mics were going into which channels on the R4, so he doesn't know which is which.  I haven't heard the tape, but I asked "isn't it really obvious?"   The simple answer is "no, it's not really obvious".
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
Interesting timing.  Ted did a comp Wednesday night with stock 460's and JWmod 460s.  He forgot to write down which mics were going into which channels on the R4, so he doesn't know which is which.  I haven't heard the tape, but I asked "isn't it really obvious?"   The simple answer is "no, it's not really obvious".
Nice!

Still waiting for ted to do a 480/460 comparison.  ;D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
Comps are totally subjective anyway, but I'm gonna give you my totally subjective conclusions from my own ownership and comparison of all of the products.

First, IMHO the 460s are a totally different mic with the actives and CK1x setup than they are with the CK61 and CK63.  IMHO, I thought the 460's sounded better than either the JWMod 460 or the 480s, but ONLY when connected through the stock active cables and CK1x capsule (which are darn near impossible to find).  I can't comment about the CK3x capsule because I never owned them.

If you put CK61/CK63 directly onto the bodies, I thought the both the 480s and JWMod 460's sounded fuller, with a better soundstage when connected directly to CK61s and CK63s than the 460s...pretty marked difference to my ears when I ran the comp.

I thought the JWMod 460's sounded damn near identical to 480s in every sound comparison test that I did between these two, with a nod going to the JWMod 460s for a teensy tiny boost in fullness and soundstage...although if you like presence the nod goes to the 480s...having said this I'd be hard pressed not to conclude that these two mics really don't sound identical.

My opinions...nothing scientific.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:38:47 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
I have access to a pair of JW Mod 460's here locally (KCMoeJoe), and we plan to run a comp sometime soon.  I'll update this thread with yet another opinion in a bit.

--Michael

EDIT to add:

My ears aren't good enough to tell the difference.  I was hoping that there would be an obvious difference in flavor, but I can't hear it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:47:12 PM by mblindsey »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

^^^ That comparison really helped me when I got into the AKGs. Don't do the comparison if you are in a huge hurry. Take a while to really listen...

I prefer the C-480's to either the JWMod C-460's or the stock C-460's.
I can see why some like the JWMod C-460's over the stock C-460's, but I just prefer the stock C-460's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
I have access to a pair of JW Mod 460's here locally (KCMoeJoe), and we plan to run a comp sometime soon.  I'll update this thread with yet another opinion in a bit.

--Michael

EDIT to add:

My ears aren't good enough to tell the difference.  I was hoping that there would be an obvious difference in flavor, but I can't hear it.

There really is a difference. Not like the difference between AKG C-480's and, for example, Church STC-11's... (...not to dog the Church mics...) I owned a pair of the STC-11's. They just sound very different than the AKG's.

Anyway, the difference is not dramatic but it is there. Stick with the stock C-460's then, as they are the least expensive of the bunch.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
i think it also depends what you plan to run behind them

i personally think the mod460s are a little too bright with the v2/v3 - but the stock 460s don't sound as harsh with the v3

i haven't heard too noticeable of a difference but I recall that Jim Williams stated the frequency response on the mod460s goes lower than either stock 460 or 480 but i assumed that this was offset by the limitations of the cap freqeuncy response

can't really go wrong with any of the 3 options IMO
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »
I've owned several of Jim's mods and I must say that I have not been impressed at all. I had a pair of 414's that sounded just awful, so I sent them back to Jim and he called and said they were in perfect condition and sounded the way they were supposed to. Stunned, I asked him how he tested them....he snapped backthat he listened to them. When pressed, he admitted he hadn't tested their freq spectrum or even opened them up to inspect them.
In his defense, he didn't charge me for the inspection but I was baffled to hear him say they were exactly how he had intended. I sold them and the next buyer felt the same way and I think Jim wound up buying them from him when he sent them back again.

I certainly don't see enough of a "positive" impovement to warrant the price he charges to rip the transformers out of your mics.
To my ears, they sound worse for it. YMMV

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
Interesting timing.  Ted did a comp Wednesday night with stock 460's and JWmod 460s.  He forgot to write down which mics were going into which channels on the R4, so he doesn't know which is which.  I haven't heard the tape, but I asked "isn't it really obvious?"   The simple answer is "no, it's not really obvious".

I bought one of Ted's 3 pairs from the YS, and noticed he picked up the modded 460's  ;D

I've listened to the tapers.org comp on my cheap PC speakers, and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones since my last post...and, I still can't hear the difference.  Not that there isn't one, because I admittedly can't here a lot of things others can.  My play back system is off for repair, so I'll try a third system when it returns.  Plus, there is always that comp I mentioned I plan to do myself earlier.  For a $175/mic upgrade, I expect at least "different" if not "better"...but I don't hear "different" yet (says the guy with bad ears).

--Michael

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »
I bought one of Ted's 3 pairs from the YS, and noticed he picked up the modded 460's  ;D
--Michael
That doesn't mean anything.
Ted is a whore!

If he ran them both and couldn't tell a difference, which should be semi obvious IMO, well.. :-\
FWIW, I didn't hear any difference to the comparison on tapers.org either, so I am with you on that.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
I've owned several of Jim's mods and I must say that I have not been impressed at all. I had a pair of 414's that sounded just awful, so I sent them back to Jim and he called and said they were in perfect condition and sounded the way they were supposed to. Stunned, I asked him how he tested them....he snapped backthat he listened to them. When pressed, he admitted he hadn't tested their freq spectrum or even opened them up to inspect them.
In his defense, he didn't charge me for the inspection but I was baffled to hear him say they were exactly how he had intended. I sold them and the next buyer felt the same way and I think Jim wound up buying them from him when he sent them back again.

I certainly don't see enough of a "positive" impovement to warrant the price he charges to rip the transformers out of your mics.
To my ears, they sound worse for it. YMMV

I agree with Phil. I toyed with the idea of sending Jim my 460s a few years ago, even had discussed it with him via email and was about to pull the trigger. Then, I listened to some JW mod sources of shows I recorded with my stock set and while the tighter and deeper bass was a positive, the high end sounded strange to me, and the warmth of the transformers in the midrange was noticably absent. Some JW mod sources I listened to were a tiny bit harsh sounding to me, actually. Glad I kept them stock.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:13:03 PM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
> I had a pair of 414's that sounded just awful, so I sent them back to Jim and he called and said they were in perfect condition and sounded the way they were supposed to.

There have been a dozen or more different types of AKG condenser microphone with "414" in their names. They've all been rather different from one another, so for the past 25 years or so it's been impossible to tell what that number is even supposed to mean other than "buy me."

Those dozen or more models have used two different capsule types. One is a poor imitation of the company's own CK 12 capsule from the 1950s; they cunningly refer to this imitation as a "CK 12" even though absolutely no one outside of the company thinks that it sounds like the original. It has an intentional high-frequency coloration for close-up vocal recording, while the capsule used in the other "414" microphones has basically flat frequency response (e.g. the C 414 B - ULS) and is not widely used in U.S. studios.

If you were trying to use a pair of AKG mikes from the first category (e.g. the C 414 B - TL II) for the kind of moderately-distant two-mike stereo recording that people here mainly do, your recordings would probably sound pretty bad most of the time, and what Jim told you would be spot on.

So, which specific model of "414" have you got?

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:37:06 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »
I had the B-ULS version and I was using them for studio applications, acoustic bass, guitar cab, etc....

Not everyone at taperssection uses their mics for distant recording.
I also know the difference between a crappy 414 and a good one having used many of the different models including the Silver EB, which was the best of the bunch to my ears.
None of that has anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Point is that I just don't think having JW mod your mics is a worthwhile investment or a sonic improvement.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:55:20 PM by nashphil »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
nashphil, very well. A few years ago on something of a whim, I decided to make a little study of microphone modifications, and I ended up sending microphones to Stephen Paul, Klaus Heyne and Jim Williams for them each to "do their thing" (a single U 87, a pair of KM 84s, and a pair of C 414-B ULS respectively).

Jim converted the AKGs into transformerless microphones which in the end, had 4 dB lower equivalent noise than the stock model; their high-frequency response also increased by a dB or two. The "down side" was that the mikes were far less resistant to RFI--probably because he removed one layer of screening from around the capsule in the name of increasing their "openness."

I don't accept Jim's views on "micro-overtones" or indeed, the whole notion of choosing substitute components on the basis of having a much faster rise time than should ever be needed in a low-level audio-frequency circuit. But it was evident that he knew the microphones very well. He was able to make impressive objective improvements in their performance, and beyond that, he was utterly unpretentious (I never heard a single word of self-promotional bullshit from him) and eager to take part in the whole experiment. I appreciated all that.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »
As I said in my OP, Jim didn't charge me and I appreciated that. My point was that his opinion differed dramatically from mine, which I found very unusual. While I understand that Jim's approach is certainly unique, I don't buy into the idea of removing perfectly good circuitry and transformers to clean up the signal path and thus achieve a "better" or "cleaner" sound with a Microphone. I don't doubt his skills one bit, but maybe his philosophy a little. It's subjective, so I suppose it's a matter of taste.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com