Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple Q for Moke and/or other Jdisk folks  (Read 2430 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Simple Q for Moke and/or other Jdisk folks
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:24:27 PM »
Yes I am reading back through everything but there is a LOT to wade through!

So... just wondered if I could throw out a specific Q here:  I want to use my handy-dandy home-made Jdisk (ca 6") with my CMC8s.  I've got one good rec'ing out of it (was v impressed by the sound) but I have no clue what I did other than put the mics on either side of the disk and push "record" (n00bs... whatcha gonna do with them?!)

What I'm wondering is exactly how does one orient those mics relative to the disk? Do they face out or forwards or does it not matter so much?  They're omnis, btw...

TIA for any pointers! :)
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Simple Q for Moke and/or other Jdisk folks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »
they angle outward.supposedly Jecklin achieved the best results when the two capsules were about 6.5 inches apart...though I vary mine depending on enviroment.

http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »
Thanks T - the picture, while great, unfortunately doesn't help me much as far as the miniature CMC8s - I find it hard to get them to stay put much less angle them accurately (compounded by the fact I lost a clip and keep forgetting to replace it - note to self, order new clips... ;))

So further sugg's?  Thanks!

(Btw T, has that baby arrived yet? I'm WAY outta the loop so not sure when it is/was due, I just remember reading you were expecting!)
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »
with the dpas I glued a clothespin open and secured the mic body along the angle of the opened pin..(and glues the pin to the disc)

ghetto solution, but it worked!

a doorstop or something similar glued to the face...anything wedge in shape..

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:41:52 PM »

(Btw T, has that baby arrived yet? I'm WAY outta the loop so not sure when it is/was due, I just remember reading you were expecting!)

July!

Kaia Mirabelle Bullard (its a gal)

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:54 PM »
HA!  GMTA - I was in Michaels this afternoon (before I read this) and saw some miniature doll clothespins which struck me as perfect - have glued 4 of them to a dowel inserted through the disk which gives me two options of about 7" apart (3.5 from the disk on each side) or about 5" apart (2.5" either side). Sure enough the cable fits EXACTLY in the groove of the little pin.  I'll post pix a bit later - and there I thought I was being so original but I guess not!! lol

Also, I cleaned up the original disk (which I made in about 10 minutes last week w/a piece of card and some eggshell foam) by buying a real piece of craft styrofoam, which I covered with the 2 pieces of soft eggshell packing foam and then a velvet outer cover (it's what i had lying around).  Is that too much baffling? Again, I'll post a picture later if I have time (all this for a gig tomorrow - I finally get to OPEN record myself in performance! First time, so we'll see what I get.... Knowing me I'll go through all this and then forget to press "start" or something equally stupid!)

Thanks, as ever, for the help!! :)
DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 08:27:45 PM »
ok, pix :)

Ultimately I guess the thing to do is get a couple of the SP clips which snap on and use those instead, but for tomorrow, this'll do.  Talk about "necessity is the mother of invention"!!!Btw, is it going to hurt the mic cable to have the peg clipped round it? I have it around the "housing" part of the cable at the very top (before it goes into the mic itself).  Should I wrap something around the cable to protect it, like electrical tape?

And does that spacing look about right?

Last Q: how high for stand? Maximum, or roughly seated-audience-member head height? 

Thanks guys!

DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »
. 2-3 feet above the musicians heads is a good very general starting point. This is only one part of the equation as distance from the "front line" of the players combined with height is crucial... Also angle of the mics relative to the floor.

There is a good primer on this in Bob Katz's Mastering book(Mastering Audio) - chapter 17. Or you can google "Critical Distance " .

The short of it is that the height and distance from the players change relative to the size of the ensemble and the size of the room. With experience you will get a feel for it...

ok, pix :)

Ultimately I guess the thing to do is get a couple of the SP clips which snap on and use those instead, but for tomorrow, this'll do.  Talk about "necessity is the mother of invention"!!!Btw, is it going to hurt the mic cable to have the peg clipped round it? I have it around the "housing" part of the cable at the very top (before it goes into the mic itself).  Should I wrap something around the cable to protect it, like electrical tape?

And does that spacing look about right?

Last Q: how high for stand? Maximum, or roughly seated-audience-member head height? 

Thanks guys!

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:16:01 PM »

There is a good primer on this in Bob Katz's Mastering book(Mastering Audio) - chapter 17. Or you can google "Critical Distance " .

Thanks. Googled it and I understand in theory but since I won't be able to take those kinds of measurements (and since gig is tomorrow no chance to get reading textbooks!) ... is there any general rule of thumb that I can invoke?  Sorry if this is a stupid Q - I've only ever stealthed before where there was so little control over where I was that I've never even really thought about this aspect of things!

Tx! :)
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:59:55 AM »
Theres no real rule of thumb, acoustic spaces vary so much that it is really difficult to say...start with the 2-3 foot height above the musicians and after that just walk around to where it sounds good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com