Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Acoustic recording  (Read 2258 times)

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Acoustic recording
« on: December 11, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
I am recording an acoustic show from a table about 5 ft. from artist.  I only have card caps.  Assuming I can sit directly infront of the artist, what configuration should I use?  If I sit off center how should I adj. my mics?
4023>m148>722

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Acoustic recording
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:10:20 PM »
I record a lot of acoustic music x/y 90 degrees with pleasant results.

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »
I am recording an acoustic show from a table about 5 ft. from artist.  I only have card caps.  Assuming I can sit directly infront of the artist, what configuration should I use?  If I sit off center how should I adj. my mics?

kind of room? size? amplified at all? how many instruments? vocals?

db

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »
If it's one musician solo, and you can run onstage right in front of them, then I second XY all the way. Also, if it is only one sound source (solo instrumentalist), I might even run the XY a little tighter than 90 degrees, say 70 degrees or so. The reason is that with a full 90 degrees, you're really only picking up the main sound source off-axis to the cards and the by summing them the image places the source in the middle of the image. Thing is, in this case, then you're only getting your main sound source on the off-axis part of your mics, which can be colored and generally not as good as straight on. And in the case of one instrument, you aren't going to be getting much of a stereo image anyway, so I'd pull in the angle a bit so the mics are picking up the sound more in there sweet spot. Anyway, that's my two cents....
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:23:44 PM »
ORTF

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com