Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vintage Stealth with EV CO94  (Read 3091 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Vintage Stealth with EV CO94
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »
Got a nice price on these and have been playing around...I'll try to post a sample later.

The mic mount is the rim from a pair of saftey glasses...I wear them above my brow - like when you put your sunglasses above your forehead...

The power supplies run on one 9V each...

http://www.coutant.org/data/co94.pdf

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Vintage Stealth with EV CO94
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
Got a nice price on these and have been playing around...I'll try to post a sample later.

The mic mount is the rim from a pair of saftey glasses...I wear them above my brow - like when you put your sunglasses above your forehead...

The power supplies run on one 9V each...

http://www.coutant.org/data/co94.pdf

So how did it work out for you?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
Worked well, I think...all things considered...

There's good prep school in my area, and they just built a new arts building...

They had a Jazz Pianist - I never really got the levels up to where I might like...

- no sound reinforcement - (that I could see...)

Here's the venue from the stage - holds about 600...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:58 PM »

They had a Jazz Pianist - I never really got the levels up to where I might like...

Nice diagram :) Well its very hard when your in a hall like that. So was it a level issue? or a sound issue. I am confused about the specs on these mics.. Ev has always been way off on the frequency response charts they make for there "old" microphones... I think its because test gear simply was not that good back then. So your mics might actually have better frequency response then the factory graphs seem to indicate.

Chris

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »

Nice diagram :) Well its very hard when your in a hall like that. So was it a level issue? or a sound issue. I am confused about the specs on these mics.. Ev has always been way off on the frequency response charts they make for there "old" microphones... I think its because test gear simply was not that good back then. So your mics might actually have better frequency response then the factory graphs seem to indicate.

Chris

Well - just as the show was getting ready to start, one of the last people to come in was the Headmaster, who I know (I'm an alum at this school) and an old teacher of mine...they sit right behind me! - So my chances to really get a grasp on the range was limited. So should have just had the gain a little higher...(maybe I didnt really need the -20pad on the deck)

I'll have sample here shortly...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:03:45 PM »
I use a pair of EV-CO90 as my stealth mics. I usually record singer-songwriter amplified acoustic music and the mics are very good for that, especially in small venues.

I also have to agree with Chris wrt EV being off on their frequency response charts. On EV's archives - http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Microphones/EDS/CO90%20and%20CO90E%20EDS.pdf - they list the frequency response as 40-15K while the product sheets I got with the mics list the response as 50-16K on one sheet and 40-18K on the other. I don't know what the actual response is but for where I use them, I'm very happy with the results.

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »
Here's a bit from the other night - just tiny digi-spit at the end...dang DAT!

http://www.mercersburg.com/CO94sample01.mp3

CO94 > Sony D3

(I did normalize these...)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:59:41 AM »
I use a pair of EV-CO90 as my stealth mics. I usually record singer-songwriter amplified acoustic music and the mics are very good for that, especially in small venues.

I also have to agree with Chris wrt EV being off on their frequency response charts. On EV's archives - http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Microphones/EDS/CO90%20and%20CO90E%20EDS.pdf - they list the frequency response as 40-15K while the product sheets I got with the mics list the response as 50-16K on one sheet and 40-18K on the other. I don't know what the actual response is but for where I use them, I'm very happy with the results.

I think part of the EV frequency response mystery could be the fact they were always trying to update there products.. Maybe too much in the early days. I still think they made some great microphones I was never a fan of the 757 or any of that line, But I still love the RE-20 and RE-15 and RE-27 and the EV 408 is still one of the best drum mics for toms around. They made some pretty cool condenser mics too. Like the pl-80 it was a mic that was WAY before the SM-86 and actually sounded pretty good. They also used Primo mic capsules in alot of the condenser mics they made. Like the Nak mics everyone seems to like so much. Ev was in the mic game for a long time. Before alot of these other players were ever around. But they were always known more for the dynamic mics they produced like the famous EV 664 A great sounding mic for kick drum and for guitar and vocal for its day..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com