Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 460s  (Read 5621 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
460s
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »
what is the difference between the ones that can be modded and those that cannot? Can you physically tell if they can or cannot be modded?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
Re: 460s
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
The moddable kind of vertical switches on them as opposed to seperate horizontal ones I believe... most of them are the moddable type. I've never seen the other type.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
The moddable kind of vertical switches on them as opposed to seperate horizontal ones I believe... most of them are the moddable type. I've never seen the other type.

well I have one of each here, just wondering which was and wasn't
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:38 PM »

well I have one of each here, just wondering which was and wasn't

Definitely the one with vertical switches can be modded. I guess the other can't.

While we're talking about this, does anyone have links to a description of the JW mod?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:04 PM »
what is the difference between the ones that can be modded and those that cannot? Can you physically tell if they can or cannot be modded?

The pics aren't so great, but this will give you the idea.  The single switch is mod'able whereas the three switch version is not.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,48168.msg661295.html#msg661295
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »
While we're talking about this, does anyone have links to a description of the JW mod?

Lots of info in this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,48168.0/all.html
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »

The pics aren't so great, but this will give you the idea.  The single switch is mod'able whereas the three switch version is not.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,48168.msg661295.html#msg661295

weird, based on your description I have a serial #2974 with 3 independent switches run horizontally and a serial #4365 with the 1 single vertical switch
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »
make sure you're taking the serial # off the body and not the cap...

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »
make sure you're taking the serial # off the body and not the cap...

I am right there on the side of the body
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:20:38 PM »
I wouldn't worry as much about the SN in regards to switch types.  The fact of the matter is JW will not mod the three switch bodies. 

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 10:27:46 PM »
I wouldn't worry as much about the SN in regards to switch types.  The fact of the matter is JW will not mod the three switch bodies. 

thanks for the clarification and all for the pics and such

+T
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »

thanks for the clarification and all for the pics and such

+T

Not a problem.  The 460's (JW Mod or not) are fantastic mics especially for the money.  I miss mine.  Made some excellent recordings with them.  I still think the JW Mod's shine with a transformer based pre (MP2/M148/PSP2) or with the T+ Mod UA-5.  I don't know what it is about the pairing of the JW Mods with the T+ Mod UA-5, but it's one of the best sounding low budget rigs to my ears.  KCMoeJoe has some excellent recordings up on the LMA with this rig.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 01:22:26 AM »
What's everyone's opinion on JW mod 460's into a 7xx..? Warm enough to round them out nicely?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on JW mod 460's into a 7xx..? Warm enough to round them out nicely?

i think they sound great together - i actually enjoy the 722 pre more and more each time i run it. i think the warmer pre pairs every nicely with the mics.

check out this marc ford show from a few weeks back, JWmod463>722

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508610
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:37 AM »

i think they sound great together - i actually enjoy the 722 pre more and more each time i run it. i think the warmer pre pairs every nicely with the mics.

I quickly found the pre in the 722 to be well suited for the JW's. Prior to the pre in the 722 I was using a V3 and found the sound to striking and almost harsh at times, especially in the highs. The 722 pre really mellowed the sound. I still use the V3 pre, mostly outdoors. For some reason I get less fatiguing highs when that combo is run outdoors. ???

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »

I quickly found the pre in the 722 to be well suited for the JW's. Prior to the pre in the 722 I was using a V3 and found the sound to striking and almost harsh at times, especially in the highs. The 722 pre really mellowed the sound. I still use the V3 pre, mostly outdoors. For some reason I get less fatiguing highs when that combo is run outdoors. ???

pretty much my experiences with the V2 - wasn't always a harsh combo but in a lot of indoor rooms that weren't so great, the highs were definitely a bit much for me. seemed to be hit or miss. i think the JWmods sound consistently much better with a warmer pre
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »

pretty much my experiences with the V2 - wasn't always a harsh combo but in a lot of indoor rooms that weren't so great, the highs were definitely a bit much for me. seemed to be hit or miss. i think the JWmods sound consistently much better with a warmer pre

Yea, you're right. It was always hit or miss indoors. I never drag the V3 into theaters anymore. It became a space issue also. Actives and the 722 make for quick setups and more room. I still find myself using the V3 outdoors, usually with the full bodies, not the actives. I then use the big Shure screens and find they help mellow out the shreiking highs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com