Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bit Torrent Networking Question...  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Bit Torrent Networking Question...
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:38:12 PM »
Couldn't figure out the best place to ask this question...

I have a Linksys wireless router, with my computer hooked up via the cat-5 cable (the laptops in the house use the wireless).

I would like to make my computer ALWAYS have the same IP address (behind the router). Just so I can open the ports for BT and some games and always have the same IP.

I'm a bit lacking in networking knowledge. If anyone could help me out, I would be pretty damn happy!

Grassy Ass,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re: Bit Torrent Networking Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:46:55 PM »
Mike, what is the router model? 

Chances are you will have to visit the "routers website" and login with an administrator password.

Assuming this is windows..?

Click the Start Button > Run > 'cmd' > press enter.  Command prompt will come up.

Type 'ipconfig' and look for the "Default Gateway ........ 192.168.x.x"

Open up your favorite web browser and head to http://192.168.x.x (replaces x's with your gateway #'s).

If your lucky you'll see a Linksys login screen and if you know your password (likely "admin" if you've never changed it)...  From there you'd want to see the DHCP settings, turn them off and then set the IP addresses manually which are bound to the MAC addresses of your NIC cards.

If you report back with your model # I can google and see if we can't find some online tutorials about the Linksys admin website and what you need to do.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:50:21 PM »
Mike, what is the router model? 

Chances are you will have to visit the "routers website" and login with an administrator password.

Assuming this is windows..?

Click the Start Button > Run > 'cmd' > press enter.  Command prompt will come up.

Type 'ipconfig' and look for the "Default Gateway ........ 192.168.x.x"

Open up your favorite web browser and head to http://192.168.x.x (replaces x's with your gateway #'s).

If your lucky you'll see a Linksys login screen and if you know your password (likely "admin" if you've never changed it)...  From there you'd want to see the DHCP settings, turn them off and then set the IP addresses manually which are bound to the MAC addresses of your NIC cards.

If you report back with your model # I can google and see if we can't find some online tutorials about the Linksys admin website and what you need to do.

I think that may be enough to get me going in the right direction. I can set up my router to work, but when my computer gets assigned a new IP address. I just want mine to stay the same all the time.

Thanks +T

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:53:24 PM »
Cool, if you can handle that, I did leave out some steps :P

Once you have it setup in the router, it knows that it should assign a specific IP address to each computer on the network instead of assigning one via DHCP.  But the computers are still connected and taking up whatever IP they got last time they got on the network.  So.... you need to tell the computers to "renew their lease" and get a new IP address for your changes to take effect.

Again, Start > run > 'cmd' > type 'ipconfig /release' hit return, type 'ipconfig /renew' and it will fetch a new IP and it *should be* the one you assigned it on the router.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
Well I can't quite figure this out. Ideally I'd like to make my computer have it's own IP address and the other still get one automatically. If I have to make them all get the same one each time, I can do that, but since my roomies don't BT or do anything else that requires a static IP then why bother.

Here is a link to the directions for my router:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/manuals/befw11s4v4_ug.pdf

Right now my computers IP address is 192.168.1.102. I'm happy to keep that one. The way I figure I have to tell the router that 192.168.1.102 goes to my LAN cards MAC address which is 00-04-5A-5A-4F-F9. Then I need to tell my computer that it's always going to be 192.168.1.102.

So a few more details should get me going. So far all I've acomplished is to make the internet not work on my computer :) I can get it to work again, but still haven't sorted everything out.

THanks again,
MIKE B

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 10:38:58 PM »
Oh, I see, my bad Mike.

You need to revert everything back to DHCP (not too big o' deal) and then what you'd idealy like to do is setup what is called a "reservation" for an IP address that will be assigned to a static computer.

I'm not sure what it might be called on your linksys router tho...  it might use another term other than "address reservation".

Another terminology that is really a different animal but serves the same purpose is setting up an "exclusion" on an ip address and then DHCP will not allow computers to get this IP when looking for an IP via DHCP, then you'd set the PC up with that address manually with the instruction I posted before about going into network settings > NIC card > TCP/IP > Properties > etc.

Give it a whirl, if anything you'll be just a little smarter about networking after all of it ;D

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 01:20:07 PM »
It looks like your router support port triggering.  This is a better way to enable Bit Torrent and other Games etc.  Have a look at page 42 of the PDF.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com