Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wireless printing  (Read 1337 times)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
wireless printing
« on: March 12, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »
i have a printer that is attached to my little home network.  what settings should i be using to be able to print wirelessly from my lappy to networked printer?

thanks

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: wireless printing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »
Generally speaking, you should be able to print via tcp-ip.  Assuming you're using a Windows laptop and the print server is configured for TCP/IP, try this:

(from memory, so don't shoot me if it's not 100%...)
- add new printer
- local
- create new port
- name it with the ip in the first box: ie: 192.168.1.200
- the next box will auto fill with something like ip_192.168.1.200 which is cool
- next steps just select the appropriate drivers, do a print test, and you're good to go.

Windows considered printing directly to an IP printer to be a 'locally' configured printer, since there's not a print server that spools the job.  Since it's being spooled locally (on the workstation), it's 'local' even though you or I would call it a networked printer.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »
I think you'll also need to enable sharing the printer on the machine it's connected to. In addition Both machines need to be in the same working group.

To enable sharing: Control Panel >  "Printers & Faxes" > Right Click on the printer > select sharing > select share this printer and give it a name.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 06:07:31 PM »
FYI - what Ethan described is something different.  Is this printer connected to the network directly (ie: either a built-in network jack, or connected to a dedicated print server), or is it connected to a PC via USB or Parallel and shared out to the other clients on the network?  Former - try my instructions.  Latter - try Ethan's.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com