Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To Build or Buy tis that is the Question.....  (Read 2246 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
To Build or Buy tis that is the Question.....
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
I was wondering if its better to build or buy premade at this point.  HP W/beats comes to mind.  I would be using it for audio processing....budget 750$ or less....

If building is there a motherboard best suited for audio.  I see a lot of premades are coming with optical out right on the board as apposed to a sound card. 

I do have a m-audio delta24/96 card currently not in use.

Thanks OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: To Build or Buy tis that is the Question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
In terms of build or buy, I will always recommend build to anyone with even the slightest bit of technical know-how. I realize that buying has it's place, but building a modern computer is ridiculously easy and it pays off to know exactly what components are in your system. Happy to assist with component recommendations if necessary and obviously this does not apply to mobile computing.

For playback, not sure I'm capable of seeing something like 'hp w/ beats' as anything more than marketing. Even if they sound better than most, you'll never get true audiophile playback inside a DAW. An external interface w/ ability to drive headphones will always be better which includes anything from a ~$100 USB or Firewire interface all the way up to something truly amazing like the Grace m902 or m903!

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
In terms of build or buy, I will always recommend build to anyone with even the slightest bit of technical know-how. I realize that buying has it's place, but building a modern computer is ridiculously easy and it pays off to know exactly what components are in your system. Happy to assist with component recommendations if necessary and obviously this does not apply to mobile computing.

For playback, not sure I'm capable of seeing something like 'hp w/ beats' as anything more than marketing. Even if they sound better than most, you'll never get true audiophile playback inside a DAW. An external interface w/ ability to drive headphones will always be better which includes anything from a ~$100 USB or Firewire interface all the way up to something truly amazing like the Grace m902 or m903!

Well that's the route I was going....Thinking digital out of a computer to a TC electronic BMC-2 monitor controller to a set of KRK RP6Gen
 2's.... 

Here is the controller.....         
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619458-REG/tc_electronic_967_420011_BMC_2_Digital_Audio_Converter.html
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Ah, I gotcha... Digital out on the motherboard vs. a dedicated audio card. Not too familiar with the topic (i'm using the far from perfect usb interface), but htpc enthusiasts seem to have asked this frequently. If you assume no resampling occurs, they would both sound the same. However, on board digital outs frequently resample to 48k to comply with the dvd/tv standard.

I guess I'd go with a dedicated sound card that's trusted, like the m-audio!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
I would suggest building a computer. $750 for building a computer can go quite far. check out bare bones systems at tiger direct to see how far $750 can go. The only issue is that they rarely come with any kind of operating system so if you want windows 7, you would need to buy the license.

Since you already have a sound card, might as well use it as long as it is compatible with the motherboard of your choice; however, you can then also compare the audio from the soundcard to the audio of the dedicated card to see if there is much of a difference.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:09:46 AM »
I would think a non-resampling dedicated soundcard would be better. But I have no facts to back that statement up........
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com