Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aligning problematic sources for matrixes...  (Read 1788 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Aligning problematic sources for matrixes...
« on: June 18, 2005, 07:22:08 AM »
I am having a headache trying to align two sources that have different pitches at various points thru a song.  The problem seems to be a fast-slow-slower-fast situation on one vs. the other.  It is only on a track so far and conincides with the end of the cassette master (like towards the end of a 45min side).  How does one align them properly without creating little gaps in one source?  Does anyone wanna help me tackle the problem?  I am trying to do the GD 12-15-1986 Jerry comeback show and have been struggling with the 'Let it Grow' for way too long. The results of my matrix from the rest of Set One has been really very nice and I believe this project is worthy of the work to create a matrix.  Right now, I have only access to Wavelab 4c and am using the SBD as the time reference (and  aligning my Audience master).

Thanks,

ANDY

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Aligning problematic sources for matrixes...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 07:49:42 AM »
I am having a headache trying to align two sources that have different pitches at various points thru a song.  The problem seems to be a fast-slow-slower-fast situation on one vs. the other.  It is only on a track so far and conincides with the end of the cassette master (like towards the end of a 45min side).  How does one align them properly without creating little gaps in one source?  Does anyone wanna help me tackle the problem?  I am trying to do the GD 12-15-1986 Jerry comeback show and have been struggling with the 'Let it Grow' for way too long. The results of my matrix from the rest of Set One has been really very nice and I believe this project is worthy of the work to create a matrix.  Right now, I have only access to Wavelab 4c and am using the SBD as the time reference (and  aligning my Audience master).

Thanks,

ANDY
If you want to stretch one file to match the other:

match up a precise start point and end point on each recording and divide the length of one segment by the length of the other (same section of music).  You'll find that one is maybe 99.98454% of the other or something like that.

Use wavelab's stretch function (it's the only one I've tried that sounds good).  Select the whole file to be shortened and do a time stretch with these settings

It's probably good to set wavelab temp files to 24 or 32 bit as well.

Note that there's no point in using anything other than the ratio box to set the stretch.  All the other boxes only appear to be more precise - in fact they don't produce the stretch that they indicate.  Rather, they always produce the nearest '3 decimal ratio', so it's better just to set it there so you can see the length of the the file you'll *actually* get.  And 3 decimals is it - any more precision ends up getting ignored. "(thanks dklein)

Time Stretch

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Aligning problematic sources for matrixes...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 07:50:21 AM »
"Here's another method to time stretch in wavelab that doesn't involve calculations. 

Get your tracks in sync in a montage. Then go to the last few minutes of the set & split them(in the middle/left of the screen hit "edit>split all tracks @ cursor").  Then move the end portion of the track that needs to be stretched so it is again in sync.  The gap you have between the track is the difference between the 2 tapes clock speeds, or drift.  Move your cursor so it is exactly @ the beg. of the end piece of the track that you intend to stretch.  Right click over the longer piece of the track that you intend to stretch & hit "transform>time stretch to cursor". Just make sure "Preserve pitch" is enabled. "

(thanks the yokel) 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com