Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: After you dither to 16..  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
After you dither to 16..
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
Hey All,
   I was wondering what you all do after dithering a 24 bit file.  Since you don't need to run 24 bit as hot as a 16 bit setup what do you do after the fact?  Is it just a Normalize peak to 0db.  I remember reading somewhere here never to run a 24 file through a limiter as that reduces you dynamic range.  What about after dithering.  I recorded Dave Matthews from Banknorth back in Decemeber and I friend of mine has a modest home studio, (Alan Veniskosky-Telefunken North America)  after he ran it through a limiter in Pro Tools LE I was astonished at how much better it sounded. (16 bit file)

So I guess my next question is, What are your thoughts on limiting? ^-^
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: After you dither to 16..
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »
again, for public consumption should only be done by those that know what they are doing and with adequate tools do do it with...for yourself...have a ball!

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 01:03:55 AM »
I run my 24bit recordings just as hot as my 16bit recordings.

*shrug*

seems to work just fine.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 01:16:56 AM »
AFTER dithering to 16 bits, you adjust the sample rate to 16 bits, save it, and share it.  Any other stuff should be done first.  ie: any level adjustments (including normalization), EQ, limiter, expander, compression, etc should all be done while you're still working with the 24-bit files (or even at 32-bits).  Doing that stuff after dithering is in some ways easier and faster, but you should hear some advantage of working in 24-bit and only dithering at the very end.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 07:11:06 AM »
I remember reading somewhere here never to run a 24 file through a limiter as that reduces you dynamic range.

Well, a limiter basically limits the dynamic range. I guess that's why it's called a "limiter" ;)
And it has the same effect on 24, 16 and even 8 bit recordings (it limits the dynamic range in every resolution, not only 24-bit).

Any my opinion is: As long as you know what you are doing, I don't have a problem with it. Just clearly label the recording as edited and include some notes on what exactly you have done.

And, as Jason already said, *every* editing (even normalization/volume adjustments) should be done before dithering.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
AFTER dithering to 16 bits, you adjust the sample rate to 16 bits

Eh?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 09:49:27 AM »
AFTER dithering to 16 bits, you adjust the sample rate to 16 bits

Eh?

i think he meant sample rate to 44.1... not sure though.

i do agree that dithering and resampling is the final step.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
i think he meant sample rate to 44.1... not sure though.

If that's the case, I believe one should resample before dithering.
Roland R-05

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 10:07:21 AM »
Here's a newbie question for you all... As I'm currently recording in 16 bit, I haven't needed to know this yet but thought I would ask all the same... I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find an answer...

Do you need to dither 24 bit to 16 bit for cd playback??? Or can you keep your source in 24 bit???

I know that the JB3's onboard ADC is 16 bit, but when running a UA5 into a JB3, should I run the UA5 in the 24 bit mode or 16??? Will the JB3 accept a 24 bit signal or only 16???

I easily get confused between bit rate, bit depth, and sampling rates... I've read the archives on the differences but still find myself confused... Does bit rate directly affect sampling rate or for that matter bit depth???

Thanks folks, much appreciated
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »
Sorry - typo on my part...

Yes - downsample before dithering.

With several dithering programs, all this process does is (in lay terms), push the usable data down into the first 16-bits, and leaves the last 8-bits padded with zeros.  You may still need to convert the bit depth to 16-bits after dithering.  This is the case when I use a dithering plugin in Adobe Audition at least.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »
Do you need to dither 24 bit to 16 bit for cd playback??? Or can you keep your source in 24 bit???

The former - you must dither 24-bit down to 16-bit for CD playback.  CD is also uses a 44.1 sample rate, so if you're recording at a different sample rate, you need to first convert the sample rate to 44.1, then dither to 16-bit.

I know that the JB3's onboard ADC is 16 bit, but when running a UA5 into a JB3, should I run the UA5 in the 24 bit mode or 16??? Will the JB3 accept a 24 bit signal or only 16???

Turn the ADV switch on the back of the UA5 OFF.  ON = 24-bit.  OFF = 16-bit, which is what you want.

I easily get confused between bit rate, bit depth, and sampling rates... I've read the archives on the differences but still find myself confused... Does bit rate directly affect sampling rate or for that matter bit depth???

Bitrate is a different animal altogether.  Bit-depth = 16-bit or 24-bit.  Sample rates are usually 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, or 192 kHz.  Think of viewing the waveform on graph paper.  Bit-depth is the vertical resolution, sample rate is the horizontal resolution.
Roland R-05

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 11:44:27 AM »
Thanks Brian for clearing up a few quetions... much appreciated
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »

Turn the ADV switch on the back of the UA5 OFF.  ON = 24-bit.  OFF = 16-bit, which is what you want.
you can go 16 bit 48 though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com