Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running AT-831's to R-09  (Read 2705 times)

Offline calvinroots

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
Running AT-831's to R-09
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:46:15 PM »
OK - Alot of this stuff is new to me, that being said I am not looking to buy unneeded things because I just didn't know better...so I thought I'd ask for some help.  I have recently purchased the Edirol R-09 and am looking to buy a set of AT-831c's.  I keep seeing different things on what they come standard with for the connections.  What I am getting at is how do I rig up these two mics the best way to my Edirol.  Alot of things I read say you are better off in the line-in...pre-amp is need this way right?

Thank you sooooo much for help the new guy, I'm trying to learn!!!
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Running AT-831's to R-09
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
OK - Alot of this stuff is new to me, that being said I am not looking to buy unneeded things because I just didn't know better...so I thought I'd ask for some help.  I have recently purchased the Edirol R-09 and am looking to buy a set of AT-831c's.  I keep seeing different things on what they come standard with for the connections.  What I am getting at is how do I rig up these two mics the best way to my Edirol.  Alot of things I read say you are better off in the line-in...pre-amp is need this way right?

I would get someone to do my 4.7k mod to these mics and run them into the mic input. Or you could purchase a preamp if you want to record from loud to quiet shows.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »

I would get someone to do my 4.7k mod to these mics and run them into the mic input. Or you could purchase a preamp if you want to record from loud to quiet shows.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Have you tried your cardioids (4.7k modded) on the mic input of the R09, plug in power only?  Do they tolerate loud volumes in this setup?

I've run Sennheiser MKE2 (with a 2.2k mod, trying to allow maximum headroom) on plug in power and it sounds wonderful.  Compact setup and no worries about battery.  Does not overload at all.  I tried the same setup on MD and it overloaded on loud input.  (I think was mic input preamp brickwall and not a plug in power problem though).

Thanks,
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »
yes I can confirm what richard said.
I stood 20m from the right stack when uriah heep played and used mic-in with a 12v bbox and my dpa4061 ;) at level 17-20 on the internal r09 preamp.
HI-MD MIC-IN is more sensitive or at least the preamp of HI-MD recorders and produces less noise than the r09 preamp at the same time.

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »
Thanks for responses.  I have also considered the CA's and 9100 but I'm not sure yet about anything.  I have heard alot of stuff from the AT 831's I like so that was my reasoning there (and wanting stealth capabilities!).  I see that the cables come's "unterminated", I am asuming that means there is no connection and you fix it???  if so, what is nice to use, xlrm and then a Y cable to 3.5m into the R-09?  I am very appreciative of all responses! one other concern is getting enough BASS... I hear alot of recordings where bass could be alot better...any suggestions?

THANKS AGAIN!
edit- I am actually listening to a show right now done with CA's and 9100 and the bass sounds pretty sweet, I am diggin' it
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:33:24 PM by calvinroots »
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com