Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stereo or mono MUST- HAVE sacd titles  (Read 8618 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
stereo or mono MUST- HAVE sacd titles
« on: February 11, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »
for those of us who have the sacd thing going, i was curious - what titles do you have that just blow you away..? performance is a given - i assume none of us would recommend a title that sounds fantastic, but where the music sucks a$$...

i specify mono or stereo because i am only set up for two channel sacd and surround is not an option for me ( my sacd player runs into a two channel tube amp), so i would like to avoid discussion of surround layers in this thread (thanks)

please chime in - playback sluts like me are just itchin' to go scour ebay for new music :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 08:34:58 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

Re: stereo or mono MUST-HAVE sacd titles
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 08:30:45 PM »
rolling stones - beggars' banquet
rolling stones - get yer ya-ya's out
rolling stones - let it bleed

bob dylan - blonde on blonde
bob dylan - blood on the tracks
-macdaddy ++

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: stereo or mono MUST- HAVE sacd titles
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 09:08:24 PM »
Any of the new RCA Living Stereo releases.  I like them as well as my Classic Records copies.  And they're $11.98!!  With two records on one SACD I'm amazed at the value.  It was transferred on tube tape deck and SOTA dCS gear.  It shows!!

I just listened to the Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky/Rachmaninoff this evening and I'm blown away by the quality on these CDs.  And I don't have a SACD player in house at the moment (will tomorrow!)

This is if you like Classical, of course...  If not, buy some anyway.  It just might convert you. 

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 06:47:25 AM »
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters!!, or any other release

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 10:36:58 AM »
I think this months issue of The Absolute Sound has some recommendations :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 10:50:30 AM »
I think this months issue of The Absolute Sound has some recommendations :)

are you doing the sacd thing yet..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 10:56:26 AM »
nope, no hi-rez for me at all. just lowly redbook upsampled with the bel canto. In this months TAS it really sounds like neither format is going to be around much longer. Sony is no longer backing SACD and the biggest proponents of dvd-a are backing off (Neil Young for instance)....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 11:04:17 AM »
nope, no hi-rez for me at all. just lowly redbook upsampled with the bel canto. In this months TAS it really sounds like neither format is going to be around much longer. Sony is no longer backing SACD and the biggest proponents of dvd-a are backing off (Neil Young for instance)....

that is why i got in now...

esp. for me because the sacd stereo layer of the stones' abkco catalog is the best it will likely ever get - that was worth the price of admission for me, all by itself. couple that with the dylan set of discs (blonde on blonde and blood on the tracks are fabulous), i feel like i got a real steal. plus mfsl is doing some work with some really nice jazz stuff - davis, trane, dolphy - those will be worth hearing. and the clapton titles, and the creedence catalog... there is way more than enough in the way of titles right now...

i also think there are few outfits that just dumped lots o' cash into DSD recorders, so i think we will see some titles come out that way. since a couple of these units are up in marin, there is a chance i might even care about some of the acts that use it (i would LOVE to see faweed and the crew to a DSD recorded  release)...

anyway - i will seek out the absolute sound. what is that, some audiophile-strking glossy magazine..? i will swing by the newsstand today...

-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 11:07:03 AM »
yep, it's a hi-fi magazine... you should be able to get it at the bigger chain stores (B&N) or any good independent book store... it's a decent read, this months is like a 2004 year in review.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 07:30:38 PM »
Any of the new RCA Living Stereo releases. 

These are awesome. Goes to show that things recorded 30-40 years ago can sound awesome. I also agree that even if you don't like classical music these releases may change your mind about classical music.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 10:42:54 AM »
I'll also add any of the Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) SACD's.  I listened to Chet/Chet yesterday on the UDP-1 I'm auditioning and I had to hold my wallet in my pocket...  It's damn close to my $50 45rpm reissues, and at half the cost (and no wear) I'm impressed.  Look into them.

As for the demise of SACD/DVD-A...  I have been following this for awhile (as I stated in the DAC thread)...  My educated guess is SACD will remain an audiophile label staple and DVD-A will become DualDisc for the masses (until HD DVD or BluRay take over, in which case it will disappear).  I have been putting off buying a hirez player for that reason...  But damn am I missing some music.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »
Any of the new RCA Living Stereo releases.  I like them as well as my Classic Records copies.  And they're $11.98!!  With two records on one SACD I'm amazed at the value.  It was transferred on tube tape deck and SOTA dCS gear.  It shows!!

I just listened to the Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky/Rachmaninoff this evening and I'm blown away by the quality on these CDs.  And I don't have a SACD player in house at the moment (will tomorrow!)

This is if you like Classical, of course...  If not, buy some anyway.  It just might convert you. 

These sound killer!!  I did some of the intial transfers of these releases on a dCS904 and was blown away by these reels!! Definitely check them out if you haven't yet!!!

Don't miss Steely Dan - Gaucho.  I've been rocking this for a while now, and can't get over it (both the stereo and the multichannel).  I must admit though, that the multichannel is my favorite.   ;) ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Frank M

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 10:21:20 AM »
I haven't gotten into SACD yet, but if you're looking for a good mono title, I've heard good things about Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus.  I have the Analogue Productions 180-gram LP, and it sounds amazing.  You can practically feel the air moving through his sax.  A classic must-have album.

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »
I am a big sheryl crow homer, so this should be no surprise, but the globe sessions is fantastic in both multi and 2 channel

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 04:26:34 PM »
Call me crazy, but I still love Dark Side Of The Moon in SACD! I have also heard the Roger Waters SACD is stunning, but I haven't heard it yet! Maybe I'll grab it this evening...

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 04:28:40 PM »
Call me crazy, but I still love Dark Side Of The Moon in SACD! I have also heard the Roger Waters SACD is stunning, but I haven't heard it yet! Maybe I'll grab it this evening...

i was waiting for someone to mention DSOTM. :)
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 10:31:21 AM »
I still prefer my DSOTM vinyl, but the SACD isn't bad...

I'm going to add Ray Charles "Genuis Loves Company" SACD.  I don't actually have the SACD, but the CD is un-friggin-believeable.  Buy it, even if you don't like Ray.  You will after a few listens.

heath--you worked on the Living Stereo releases??  Damn, you lucky bastage!  Please tell me you have some under-the-table hi-rez transfers off those masters...   ;D

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 12:27:54 PM »
I still prefer my DSOTM vinyl, but the SACD isn't bad...

I'm going to add Ray Charles "Genuis Loves Company" SACD.  I don't actually have the SACD, but the CD is un-friggin-believeable.  Buy it, even if you don't like Ray.  You will after a few listens.

heath--you worked on the Living Stereo releases??  Damn, you lucky bastage!  Please tell me you have some under-the-table hi-rez transfers off those masters...   ;D

we have the transfers here in the archives, but alas, if they ever left here I'd lose my job, and I love it too much to compromise!  The sacd's will have to do  ;) ;D

The Upstream Mend

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 04:28:18 PM »
Riiiiiiiight ;)

You're a lucky bastage, tho, I appreciate your point of view.  I have heard direct transfers before (might even have a few..) and I am blown away by the sound quality and immediacy.

Anyway, good work.  Something I'd like to clear up, at least in my head--many audiophiles claim the first 10 releases are subpar, and the second 10 are far superior.  The rumor has to do with tubes in the chain.  Care to comment?

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
Riiiiiiiight ;)

You're a lucky bastage, tho, I appreciate your point of view.  I have heard direct transfers before (might even have a few..) and I am blown away by the sound quality and immediacy.

Anyway, good work.  Something I'd like to clear up, at least in my head--many audiophiles claim the first 10 releases are subpar, and the second 10 are far superior.  The rumor has to do with tubes in the chain.  Care to comment?

i'll have to look into it to see what the exact signal chain was on those.  I also need to figure out which tapes were released when, since when I worked on those, I got in about 40-50 reels at a time.  I did the initial transfers, but the sacd dsd transfers were done elsewhere.  I can try to find out how the other transfers were handled by the other engineers.

The Upstream Mend

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 07:48:05 AM »
That would rock.

You guys did a fabulous job, congrats.  SO many engineers have mucked this type of thing up in the past...

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »
Any of the new RCA Living Stereo releases. I like them as well as my Classic Records copies. And they're $11.98!! With two records on one SACD I'm amazed at the value. It was transferred on tube tape deck and SOTA dCS gear. It shows!!

I just listened to the Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky/Rachmaninoff this evening and I'm blown away by the quality on these CDs. And I don't have a SACD player in house at the moment (will tomorrow!)

This is if you like Classical, of course... If not, buy some anyway. It just might convert you.

These sound killer!! I did some of the intial transfers of these releases on a dCS904 and was blown away by these reels!! Definitely check them out if you haven't yet!!!

Don't miss Steely Dan - Gaucho. I've been rocking this for a while now, and can't get over it (both the stereo and the multichannel). I must admit though, that the multichannel is my favorite. ;) ;D

they're being added to the shopping list now, thanks guys....

I guess I'll add guacho too :P

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 09:59:54 AM »
The only two SACDs I've picked up so far sound fantastic.

Allman Bros "Eat a Peach"

Allison Krauss/Union Station "Live"
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 10:05:19 AM »
The only two SACDs I've picked up so far sound fantastic.

Allman Bros "Eat a Peach"

Allison Krauss/Union Station "Live"

get david johansen an the harry smiths and coltrane's "a love supreme" and of course, "beggars' banquet" - those are the three that have really blown me away thus far...

i will have to pick up "eat a peach" - havent listened to it in years...

+t for being another sacd fan!!
-macdaddy ++

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 10:25:57 AM »
I recently purchased Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble's When Strangers Meet and it's really fantastic.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 08:54:42 AM »
IMO someone who doesn't "get" Jazz will not like A Love Supreme.  Coltrane can take a bit to get used to.  (BTW--if you think the studio recording is good--have you heard the only live performance, released a few years ago on CD?  Phenom).  I do think Kind of Blue should be in every music lovers library.  It opened up a whole new world for me, years ago.  I still remember first putting it on, and thinking, "I *get* this!!!"

Growing up in the 80s really turns someone off to Jazz--a pox on Smooth Jazz  >:(

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 09:48:06 PM »

bob dylan - love and theft

duke ellington - blues in orbit (mfsl sacd - oop, and probably too pricey and not available, but if you find it snatch it up)

just listened to brubeck's take five sacd - it sounds wonderful. hadnt listened to it in years - it is definitely one of the more accessible jazz titles around...

-macdaddy ++

BobW

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »
OK word up from old fartsville:

This label kicks ass !

Especially these albums:

Leon, piano god and the most interesting voice that OK ever produced:

And these two guitarists are incredible:

Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd

Strange how this 1980 recording, Brazilian Soul, shows what a strong influence Trey was on them.      ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:06:59 PM by Lower-Powered »

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 09:08:00 PM »
are those cd releases or vinyl..?

leon is a trip...

the other one looks quite interesting...
-macdaddy ++

BobW

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 10:00:03 PM »
are those cd releases or vinyl..?

leon is a trip...

the other one looks quite interesting...

Hi-Rez is a 24/96 boutique DVD-A label.
They get analog masters, use tube pres, top-end ADCs and make 2.0 DVD-A discs.

That Leon Album was one of my all time favorites.

Check out the "unheard of" session men:

Leon Russell - Bass, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Vocals, Producer, Engineer, Mixing
Joe Cocker - Vocals
George Harrison - Guitar
Mick Jagger - Vocals
Ringo Starr - Drums
Steve Winwood - Keyboards
Charlie Watts - Drums
Bonnie Bramlett - Vocals
Delaney Bramlett - Guitar
Bill Wyman - Bass
Jim Gordon - Drums
Eric Clapton - Guitar
Merry Clayton - Vocals
Buddy Harmon - Drums
Jim Horn - Saxophone
Alan Spenner - Bass
Chris Stainton - Keyboards
Klaus Voorman - Bass
B.J. Wilson - Drums

BTW, if you click the Hi-Rez picture in the above post, it will get you to their page.
Tower has their stuff on sale this week.

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
I have the Freddie King Texas Cannonball from the Hi-Fi label.  Great album and great blues guitar player.

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
the sony store has the dylan limited edition box set
for like $175, and you get another 10% off (the list of 220, I think)
by using the coupon "DYLAN"

is this worthwhile even if I don't have SACD?
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline slowburn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2005, 05:23:55 AM »
the sony store has the dylan limited edition box set
for like $175, and you get another 10% off (the list of 220, I think)
by using the coupon "DYLAN"

is this worthwhile even if I don't have SACD?

Unless you already have the included albums remastered it certainly is. The CD layer of the hybrid disks was used to upgrade the regular titles. The quality of those remasters is a huge improvement compared to what they had before.

Of course you could probably buy the 15 titles as regular remastered CDs for a little less but then you wouldn't get that nice digipak feeling

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 08:29:34 AM »
Anybody know european stores that carry fair amounts of DVD-A?
Or a way to get hiresmusic.com's releases over here without troubles?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com