Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iPod upgrade for better audio?  (Read 9699 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: iPod upgrade for better audio?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
Really sounds like a lot of bullshit to me... Increased sound stage... please its a freaking ipod... if you were concerned about audio you would not be listing to a compressed format in the first place :)

I have no idea how this sounds but for the record let's be clear - you can play uncompressed audio on the iPod as well as lossless compressed audio on a stock ipod (Apple Lossless). You can also utilize Rockbox and listen to flac's on an otherwise stock ipod.

If you're going to just flat out mock products that you've never heard it would be a good idea to have knowledge of the basic facts.

edit:
I'm guessing you are missing the irony of your position. You are mocking people who would pay for such an upgrade and attacking the "mod" business over "before & after" samples when you, yourself, have never heard this product. So it's okay for you to call a piece of gear that you have never heard "snake oil"? Does the term "double-standard" mean anything to you?

Like I said, I've never heard this and I'll never buy one but I don't think it's asking too much for critics to show a little consistency.

There is no double standard.. Here what so ever. And my comment was there are better sounding devices to play back uncompressed files then an ipod I have more then a few of them.. And I actually do believe if your going to charge $250 to do a simple mod you should have before and after samples.. I am not attacking the mod business at all... There are lots of guys here at T.S that do a great job of doing mods.. But I dont think I would bother trying to do a mod to a product that really is not all that good to begin with, and hell the mod costs more then the fucking ipod does. I guess I am allowed to have my opinion like you are.

Maybe if you had as much understanding of electronics as I do * and maybe you do * you would see the irony in charging $250 to remove parts from a product and not necessarily replace anything except a few caps.. that cost maybe $10 if your lucky...

I totally respect your opinion on this subject. I just think when you do a mod to something like this you really should provide samples of the before and after. I guess that's what I am trying to say.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:05:55 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »

Maybe if you had as much understanding of electronics as I do you would see the irony in charging $250 to remove parts from a product and not necessarily replace anything except a few caps.. that cost maybe $10 if your lucky...

sounds like a very lucrative business to me lol  :P  ;D
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »
There is no double standard.. Here what so ever.

Sure there is - it's okay for you to bash a product you have never seen, touch nor heard but anyone who buys one is an idiot with too much money?

And my comment was there are better sounding devices to play back uncompressed files then an ipod I have more then a few of them..

You said nothing of the sort, you made a blanket statement about ipods playing compressed files.

And I actually do believe if your going to charge $250 to do a simple mod you should have before and after samples..

Agreed, it goes hand in hand with reviewers actually having heard and used the product.

But I dont think I would bother trying to do a mod to a product that really is not all that good to begin with, and hell the mod costs more then the fucking ipod does. I guess I am allowed to have my opinion like you are.

If you had just said this in the first place we wouldn't be having this current discussion. Instead you
1. Made a demonstrably false statement about the abilities of the ipod
2. Proclaimed that Red Wine Audio should be held to a standard that you are not even holding yourself to

We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think it's too much to ask that we make statements based on facts and that there is internal consistency and logic in our statements.

Maybe if you had as much understanding of electronics as I do

::)

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
There is no double standard.. Here what so ever.

Sure there is - it's okay for you to bash a product you have never seen, touch nor heard but anyone who buys one is an idiot with too much money?

And my comment was there are better sounding devices to play back uncompressed files then an ipod I have more then a few of them..

You said nothing of the sort, you made a blanket statement about ipods playing compressed files.

And I actually do believe if your going to charge $250 to do a simple mod you should have before and after samples..

Agreed, it goes hand in hand with reviewers actually having heard and used the product.

But I dont think I would bother trying to do a mod to a product that really is not all that good to begin with, and hell the mod costs more then the fucking ipod does. I guess I am allowed to have my opinion like you are.

If you had just said this in the first place we wouldn't be having this current discussion. Instead you
1. Made a demonstrably false statement about the abilities of the ipod
2. Proclaimed that Red Wine Audio should be held to a standard that you are not even holding yourself to

We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think it's too much to ask that we make statements based on facts and that there is internal consistency and logic in our statements.

Maybe if you had as much understanding of electronics as I do

::)

All I can say is thank God your hear to correct me lol... And I hold my self to a very high standard... Actually I have recordings I can supply to customers BEFORE they purchase so they KNOW exactly what they are buying... I have invested alot of money into making sure what I sell actually works... and I actually can prove that my products perform exactly as published. I am not saying that's what these guys are doing but for $250 for a few caps and some wire please..

Like I said before I have the right to my opinion as do you. I respect yours you dont seem to respect mine. And that's ok.

Chris

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »
FWIW, I just bought the 160GB Ipod classic a month or so ago.  This is my first Ipod and I couldn't be happier with this product.  I'm using the $100 Bose in-ear headphones and I think the combination sounds great.  I'd heard that they've improved the sound quality on the later generation ipods, so I can't comment on the sould quality of the older ipod generations, but I really don't have anything negative to say about the sound quality that I'm getting out of this unit.  At 160gb, I'm in the process of loading so much music that I can take with me, it's like have my entire music collection go with me whereever I go, and that's frankly so cool that even if there was a marginal bitch about sound quality (which I have none) I'd still be loving this thing to death.  Then to top it off, I haven't found one thing that I can say bad about the itunes software which is really amazingly bug free.  I'm especially senstive to this after using various Sony software that have been packaged with their hardware products.  USually what Sony puts out is so buggy that it's more risk using it than not.  This is just not the case with the itunes.  So, I honestly would rate my whole ipod experience pretty darn close to 10 stars outta 10.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »
this is the best iPod upgrade i've seen ....
for better sounding music.

some minor work to the electronics

followed by a total rebuild of the PCB  / oppamps and transport mechanism :

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »
if only you could take a turntable in the car on roadtrips or on a jog or on the train...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
if only you could take a turntable in the car on roadtrips or on a jog or on the train...

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »
that's awesome, hope he has a good suspension ;D

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »
that's awesome, hope he has a good suspension ;D

bet it sounds great with the top down! 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

Actually Audio Technica of all people made a portable turntable WALKMAN LOL.. needless to say it was not very successful.. The idea was you were supposed to wear this on your hip and walk down the street it came with a shoulder strap LOL... I had one only because it was given to me and well it was not very good and it did skip :)

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/11/sound_burger_vi.html

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »
that turntable is A+. As far as the ipod upgrade its laughable.

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »
that imod is hyped up like krazy on that headphone site.
I want that vinyl burger.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »
that imod is hyped up like krazy on that headphone site.
I want that vinyl burger.

Man the vinyl burger is going to make a comeback we all know it, Lets face it ipod is so yesterday the Vinyl burger is the way of the future!

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »

Actually Audio Technica of all people made a portable turntable WALKMAN LOL.. needless to say it was not very successful.. The idea was you were supposed to wear this on your hip and walk down the street it came with a shoulder strap LOL... I had one only because it was given to me and well it was not very good and it did skip :)

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/11/sound_burger_vi.html

oh man, that thing is awesome ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com