Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are my CA 11's dying on me ?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline tw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • COYS
    • From the Basement ... Danish Archives
Are my CA 11's dying on me ?
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
I've been taping with ca11's since 2008 and been more than happy with them - but this last week they have started to make noices - dont know for sure that it's the mics, could be the cables ?? ... - they run via a fully charged bb  into the irriver ... I'v included a small sample - maybe someone can hear what is wrong ... I've got couple of shows comming up NeXT week, so I have to do something !

Willer

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Are my CA 11's dying on me ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
Do you mean the two static crunches near the beginning? That sounds like a failing connection somewhere. Try bending the cable at various places and see if you can find it.

If it's at the plug, there's probably a local electronics guy with a soldering iron who can replace the plug.  If it's at the mics, maybe you can send it back to Chris and he can do a repair. He fixed an old pair of Church Audios I had for $35--though he's so backed up it took a while.

Or do you mean the sudden volume dip and rise later on? That's more mysterious.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:39:55 AM by earmonger »

Offline tw

• Taperssection Member
  • COYS
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
I was hoping one fix could repair it all ;-) ... if it is the wire ... how to make a simple repair ?? Anything a happy amateur could fix ?

tw

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Have you tried cleaning the jacks?I had that similar sounding issue and cleaning the mic jacks solved this.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
Have you tried cleaning the jacks?I had that similar sounding issue and cleaning the mic jacks solved this.

Sometimes this is all that's needed and should be the first step taken in trying to solve the problem. Guy Sonic provided good instructions on how to do this:
Clean & recondition noisy mic. jacks with 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.  Repeatedly insert a headphone type plug soaked to the point of dripping (filling the alcohol bottle cap and dipping only the metal part of the mini-plug works well) into the mic. jack until any connection noise disappears.  Monitor the progress with a set of headphones while the deck is in a record function.  Rotating the microphones plug should not produce audible noise with cleaned and conditioned contacts.   Applying a contact conditioner to already cleaned plug and jack metal parts (Stereo retailer & Sonic Studios available Pro-Gold by Caig Labs works great) once to several times a year will help protect contacts from corrosion/wear and from producing noise for much longer between cleanings.     

CAUTION ADVISED: AVOID PLACING CONTACT CLEANER ON ANYTHING BUT THE METAL CONNECTOR PARTS; Plastics can be softened,  discolored, and even dissolved!  This may actually coat the very metal contacts intended for cleaning!   Fortunately,  deck input jacks are reasonably resistant to alcohol and most ‘plastic safe’ cleaners when used occasionally and with care.
WARNING: Never spray anything into the jacks on a deck.   Most Mini-DECK jacks are not the enclosed type anymore, but are open, allowing sprays to go where they can cause mechanical problems with the tape transport mechanisms and coat the tape heads.  Use the method described above with the mini-plug OR purchase a special insertable cleaning brush from CAIG or Sonic Studios (a round shaver cleaning brush may also be used with careful attention to the delicate nature of these mini-jacks).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline tw

• Taperssection Member
  • COYS
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
Thanks - good advice ... I'll clean the mini jacks and hope that will fix the issues !

TW

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »
Make sure the brass tab is bent up and making a solid connection to the center pin on the capsule. Do this first. If you still have noise issues it could be time for a recable send me a pm for details on that.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com