Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini-mic handling noise  (Read 1708 times)

Offline nicksowers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
mini-mic handling noise
« on: May 15, 2004, 01:54:21 AM »
Hey,

I bought the SP BMC-12s a month or so ago and I pick up a slight brushing sound in the left channel.  For a while I thought it was just something wrong that I was doing since I'm new at this.  But then I realized that it's the microphone wire that is picking up the sound... even at the base where it connects to my pre-amp, you can hear sound transmitted through the wire.

The sound pro tech said it's "not uncommon" because it's difficult to separate the mic from the wire.  he was confused that only one of the two mics had the problem.

Should I bother exchanging the mics?  I'm leaving the country Monday, and it would be inconvenient but still possible to have them shipped abroad.  It sucks that I won't be able to walk around and record quiet sounds without the ruffling noise.  Maybe there is a quick fix?

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
Re:mini-mic handling noise
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 06:06:35 AM »
Well is it a handling noise or could it be a bad connection?  If you take the mic and wiggle it are you getting noise?  (make sure that the wire doesn't touch anything else)  

Being that you are hearing it in one mic only, I kinda doubt it is handling noise...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline nicksowers

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:mini-mic handling noise
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 04:10:29 AM »
There's nothing I can do to the connection to change things... wiggle it around at the base as much as I like and it will still absorb handling noise.  it's actually in both mics, I don't know why I thought it was only one.  the intensity diminishes as I move away from the mics.

Is there a way to insulate the wire more so that it doesn't make so much noise?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com