Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie to flash drive recorders...my d8's have finally kicked the bucket.  (Read 2988 times)

Offline bearcobb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
ive been taping with a pair of refurbished d8's for just shy of 10 years (xmas '98 from the sony outlet store in la). the primary one had more hours but a few years after major use the the tension in the secondary deck caused some jammed tapes and slightly off timing (half second or so over a 60m tape). so the primary unit was put back into primary use. nonetheless after all this use it seems as if the heads on both of the units are shot and im pretty sure that you cant get replacements anymore. but i know i should be looking into the next generation of recorders.

so im looking for a good overview of what is out there and what you would recommend as my replacement. i wish i could afford a SD 744 but thats not happening. i run a pair of neumann skm184's into an apogee minime.

ive had a friend patch in with a microtrack before and that seems like a good option, but what else is out there these days? new or used, im looking up to around $500 +/- $100. thanks for any suggestions.

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
Re: newbie to flash drive recorders...my d8's have finally kicked the bucket.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
oh, i should add im hoping to find a recorder that can be powered by 6v batteries. my rig uses ecocharge ec-90's with a 12v/6v split to simultaneously power the minime and the d8 (formerly i guess now) so i am hoping to use the same battery configuration. thanks.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
I think you will be very happy with the newer technology. Transferrng files no longer be in real time, and if you record a lot, this is one of many features that are hard to ignore. Regarding something that works with your current gear:

I have a Microtrack2496 (MT1) and love it, but it seems that some people have issues with it. Mine is the first generation version, and it is stable, and it apprears the second generation (MT2) is just getting there too. Having the newest firmware is important toward that stability.

The Fostex FR Le2 sounds like a very good deck too for your price range. Bigger than the MT for sure, but maybe easier to operate. I always hear good things about it, but have not used it myself.

There are a number of great decks that may be just out of your price range that you may find used. A used Tacsam HD P2 may fall to the high side of your budget, but it is worth the money. I can pretty much only speak of the MT and the Tascam as that is what I run, but there are many happy folks out there running Marantz and others that have the digital capabilities you seek.

I am sure that others will chime in. Enjoy the hunt...

EDIT: The battery issue may make it a bit harder, but don't let that deter you from the best set up you can find. I know the MT takes 5V, so that may be a problem. The Tascam uses 12V, and also works with 9V.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:01:05 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
If you want to keep to your budget and want to keep using the MiniMe, you probably won't have too many options.

The microtrack is one of the few cheaper flash recorders that takes a coax digital input.  The FR2LE doesn't (analog in only), so you wouldn't be able to use it with your MiniMe.  Recorders like the Tascam HDP2 and Marantz 671 have a coax digital input, but are more expensive than your budget.  I'm not sure there are any flash-based recorders in the $500 range new that can take a digital coax input other than the Microtrack.

The Sony PCM-D50 is a nice, hand-held size recorder that meets your budget ($450-475 new).  I've got one and like it far more than the Microtrack that I also owned for a couple years.  The D50 takes a digital input, but optical, not coax.  You could use that with your MiniMe, but you'd need to add a digital format converter (like the Hosa ODL276) that will convert the coax digital of the MMe to the optical digital needed for the D50.

EDIT to say:  if you're not totally wedded to the MMe, you might want to consider selling it and spending a bit more for an all-in-one recorder, particularly a busman- or Oade-modded one like the FR2LE, the 671, the HD-P2, or the Edirol R44.  These would be in the $900-1200 range, but with the sale of your MMe might be in your price range.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:09:48 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
if you're not totally wedded to the MMe, you might want to consider selling it and spending a bit more for an all-in-one recorder, particularly a busman- or Oade-modded one like the FR2LE, the 671, the HD-P2, or the Edirol R44.  These would be in the $900-1200 range, but with the sale of your MMe might be in your price range.

im not wedded to the mini me but i do like the apogee ad conversion, always have. and i liked that the preamp was built in one. ive heard many tapes from the sd 722 and 744 preamp/converter and love those machines but they are out of my price range. so how do some of these more expensive recorders handle the preamp and ad conversion built in to the recorder? has the technology improved enough that you can get a preamp/converter/recorder all in one unit with quality for each of those components for a decent price? if so im all about jumping up.

its good to see that the oade bros are still up on everything with the newest stuff still modding it. they were who i got my first battery system and still use their oade cable with my d8s (well did  :()  so i trust them. what can you get for a used mini me these days? and then adding the $500 or so id spend on a new recorder, what is out there that would meet the needs of a recorder and replacing the preamp/ad conversion of the mini me?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
Of course, you could also look at the all-in-one recorders without Oade/busman mods, but the mods by most accounts improve the sound.

If you really like the apogee A/D conversion, you could keep the MMe and get a Microtrack or spend more $ and get one of the flash recorders with a digital coax input.  Or you could sell the MMe and get a used Apogee AD500/AD1000 which have optical digital outputs (though that route opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms).

As much as you like the Apogee conversion, I'd say the biggest effect on your sound in decreasing order of importance is mic location > microphones > preamp > A/D converter.  That said, another option you might consider is selling/trading your Apogee MMe and getting an Apogee Mini-MP preamp -- I'm assuming the MiniMP will sound alot like the MMe, though I don't really know about that one.  You could use the mini-mp with any of the flash recorders since they all take an analog input.  I'd still recommend the Sony D50 if you go this route.  I'd imagine you could sell/trade the MMe and pretty much get a MiniMP without any additional money, so your cost would just be for the Sony D50 -- so still in your price range.

As to the FR2le, 671, HDP2, and R44 -- and their modded versions -- I'll let others talk about those, or you can research ts.com.  I'm guessing a used MMe would bring $500-575, so pretty much any of the modded all-in-one recorders should be in your reach.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
Or sell the MMe and with the additional cash snatch the Korg MR1000 from the yard sale.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108402.0.html

yet another option

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
While a used PMD671 or HDP2 could be had for $600-$800, it will be a much larger occupant to your bag than you are used to with the D8. The newer Microtrack may actually work well for you and it's a bargin just for the coax input. I know several tapers using them with V3s and MMEs. Since your rig bag is setup for a D8 as your recorder, swapping it out with a Microtrack will allow you keep the same form factor, instantly move to being able to transfer the wave files at high speed to your PC, and also allow you to move from running 16 bit to 24 bit with your MME. The internal rechargeable battery is a small detractor, but it can be backed up with inexpensive USP power packs easily, so I would not sweat that.

Good Luck!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
I have been running my mics> V3 (thru spdif) > microtrack 2 for about a year now and am very pleased for what I've gotten out of the recorder.  Like said above, if you're happy with your existing mics>pre and adc then I think you'll be very happy with the MT2.  You'll be able to record in 24 bit, having compact flash cards you can store a ton of music without worry of losing anything b/c of 2 hours limit, the download is quick thru the usb (like <10 minutes per 2 hour show and even faster if using a card reader).  The only thing with the MT2 is that it has internal battery power.  A charge will last around 5-6 hours and there are external batteries (any external mini usb battery will work) that you can use if you need it.  I use a lil' macally battery that has gotten me another 5-6 hours.

So, my reccomendation:

MT 2 $240
16 GB CF Card:  $100
Macally battery:  $50

Well under $500...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:14:53 AM by taperwheeler »
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
alright, ill probably go with the microtracker and when i can afford a 722 go that route. thanks!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 05:57:52 AM »
Someone is selling the MicroTrack 2 (brand new) on E-Bay for $218.99 shipped. Sign up for Microsoft Live Search and you can get it for that price and receive a 30% rebate in 2-3 months. Net cost after rebate comes in $153.29!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:04:08 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com