Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Annoying idle tones on Fostex FR2LE?  (Read 3959 times)

Offline scottwu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Annoying idle tones on Fostex FR2LE?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
I thought they just was typical computer screen pickup, etc. But I took my setup out about 3 miles off shore for some nature recording and I still got them. They are all >15K Hz and never cause any audible artifacts. In searching I found them mentioned on a British nature recording site with a big ???.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Annoying idle tones on Fostex FR2LE?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
sampling rate recording at?

I've seen a (~500hz long) spike up in the 35khz range when I record at eiher 88.2 or 96 (stock or modded). Not sure if thats what your refering to.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline scottwu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »
Yea, I was doing 24/96 so it looks like they are there. I wonder if it's chip set or layout/shielding related.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
scott, were you using the unit's analog inputs? Mike or line level? (I have no solution to offer; I'm just trying to find out when this problem might tend to occur.)

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline scottwu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
I was using unbalanced in on the XLR connectors. I have my own mics that are low impedance unbalanced out with an external battery box. I got the same result with a Rode NT01A BTW w/wo an external P48. Someone said the problem was only with the internal P48 but I find random low level tones that are different for different sample rates almost all the time. I also notice that changing the mic position moves the amplitude around, so there is some kind of coupling definately a tough nut to crack. The fact that a few others see this makes me feel that it's not just me, and anyway I don't hear any artifacts in the recordings. I got some very nice recordings at the Omega Institute in upstate NY of wild turkeys.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
I've seen it on the  TRS 1/4" as well. I think it's on my samples the Will is hosting for the T-Mod test.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tonfunk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
Hi folks,

sorry for resurrecting a fairly old topic, but unfortunately this was the thread coming as close as possible to the issue I have with (used) Fostex FR2LE I bought recently.
Mine shows audible, periodic noise, especially (but not exclusively) with high gain settings.

Maybe someone in the forum remembers if there is a cure for the potentially clock related issues on this device.

Attached you can find an audio sample with the 'characteristic' chip chip chip chip chip....

BR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com