Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD661 Firware Update Disaster - HELP!!!!!  (Read 17204 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Marantz PMD661 Firware Update Disaster - HELP!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
Hey Now – Been a while since my last post as I have been taking a several year break from active taping. But I decided to get back into it and picked up a cherry used PMD661 recently. Everything worked great on the unit but it has been finicky with different SD cards as many of your know already. So hear is my issue:

I decided to update the firmware in hopes I could use other cards with it. I have three right now (all PNY’s , class 4 in 4, 8 and 16gb capacities). Only the 4gb worked on all formats. So I go for the firmware update today as the deck only still had the 1.0v on it. I follow Marantz instructions, using the AC power, etc and I run into a problem copying the firmware file to my PMD. For some reason I get a copy error trying to copy the file to the root directory. It locks up my PC for a while and I loose the USB to the PMD AND it somehow locks up the PMD completely.

So I felt I was forced to disconnect the USB, power down and reboot. It fires up and asks if I want to update the file to 2.01v firmware. I thought cool…..it still worked. The PMD prompted “executing” for several minutes flashing……then the screen went blank (the screen actually turned white with all characters gone). I left it for about 5min or so and decided (which was prob a mistake) that I should reboot again. Now all I get is a prompt saying “update needed”…..no matter what I do. Reformat the card, remove all power source, try other cards, everything I can think of.

Anyone know how to reset the deck to base firmware version? I can’t even get the deck to connect to the USB. I even called Marantz techs from D&M and they were all but worthless. Said it prob had to be sent in for repair (which of course they don’t fucking do).

Any ideas? Clues? Insults for making this stupid fucking mistake?
Anyone know of a good service center capable of taking care of this? Preferably on the west coast.

SHIT!! Hope someone can help me out? Has this happened to anyone else????
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Marantz PMD661 Firware Update Disaster - HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Never happened to me, I've done 3 or 4 updates including the latest on my stock unit since I got it.  Oade does not recommend performing updates on his units so if you have an Oade mod 661 you should contact him.

Try copying to the update to the root directory of an SDHC card using an inexpensive SDHC card reader first.  Then load the card into the 661 and power it up while connected to AC power, it might work for you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:54:05 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline datbrad

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Digigal, You have posted several times about Doug not recommending firmware updates on his modded units and that is a misstatement I feel compelled to correct. Doug does not recommend doing firmware updates period, unless the recorder in question is experiencing the specific issue being addressed by the mfg update. He told me this personally about an update I was about to do to my old stock PMD670 back in 2006. If you read his FAQ page on his website, you will see that his advice about restraint doing firmware updates is not specific to modded units. It's only Doug's opinion, granted, but it has nothing to do with the mods to the analog input path. His mods are simple. The input capacitors and op amps in the preamp sections are replaced with more expensive chips that deliver increased headroom, lower noise floor, and wider sound staging. This would not relate in any way to the computer processor in the recorder that the firmware impacts. Just needed to get that on the record. Again, preamp mods and firmware have nothing to do with one another.

Update to add:  Oade's FAQ post on firmware copied and pasted below....

Should I update the firmware on my recorder ?

I NEVER do a firmware update unless I have a problem with the device. If you have the "bug" and must do it, you should always wait at least one month to see if they got it right. All too often a firmware change causes trouble. It is also possible your computer may have a problem that corrupts the data rendering your recorder useless. A power surge or power outage is another possible source of a firmware change failure. If you do not have battery back up for your computer, a laptop running on battery power is a safer choice. If you have a memory and CPU diagnostic, run it before you attempt to alter the firmware. Many manufacturers will not provide support in or out of warranty should the firmware update fail, be sure to read any documentation provided prior to installing the update. Please keep in mind that if you attempt to change the firmware and it fails, this is NOT covered under Oade Brothers Audio warranty and a service fee may be charged to clear the problem. If the deck we sold with an upgrade has a problem, please contact us prior to attempting a repair.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:26:51 PM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
Tried that already with no luck  >:(

Never happened to me, I've done 3 or 4 updates including the latest on my stock unit since I got it.  Oade does not recommend performing updates on his units so if you have an Oade mod 661 you should contact him.

Try copying to the update to the root directory of an SDHC card using an inexpensive SDHC card reader first.  Then load the card into the 661 and power it up while connected to AC power, it might work for you.
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:24 AM »
It might be that the PMD661 tries to boot from an incomplete firmware. (due to failed upgrade)
So only the bootloader is active.
Maybe ask Marantz support how to recover?

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
It might be that the PMD661 tries to boot from an incomplete firmware. (due to failed upgrade)
So only the bootloader is active.
Maybe ask Marantz support how to recover?

That is EXACTLY what I think is going on. It never completed the firmware update and its stuck in a loop unable to reboot to the main screen. I did call Marantz help but they didn't really provide any real trouble shooting advice (I had already tried everything they did suggest besides sending it in). I'll try again on Monday and also call a local service center who is authorized Marantz tech service.

DigiGal suggested there is a reset button some place which makes complete sense. Question is...... I am just not seeing it unless I am not picking up the location she suggested. 1/4 mounting threads = mic stand threads in bottom of PMD case? I don't really see any button there.....only a shinny bottom which looks like a end cap for the mounting post on mic stand/tripod or a protective plate. Tried pushing down on that but didn't want to push too hard. Nothing.......am I looking at the right place for the reset? Normally reset buttons are the size of a paper clip hole.

DigiGal PM sent for your help
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks DigiGal......I'll take another poke at it and see if I can get it to reset. I'll report any positive results. In the mean time anyone out there that has any info please raise your hand!

Thanks
LoS  :fish:
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
Are you still using the PNY cards to try to redo the update? Maybe try a new completely different brand of SD card that is recommended by Marantz. And do a new download of the update before trying it.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »
I know there were a couple of people that had issues updating firmware on the PMD620.  Given the similarities, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same problem.  I think that they ended up having to scrap the recorder or pay to replace the board...Not covered by warranty, if I remember correctly.

You can probably find those posts on here somewhere with the right search terms.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
I know there were a couple of people that had issues updating firmware on the PMD620.  Given the similarities, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same problem.  I think that they ended up having to scrap the recorder or pay to replace the board...Not covered by warranty, if I remember correctly.

You can probably find those posts on here somewhere with the right search terms.

Hopefully this isn't the case with your recorder, but from the description I fear that it is.

I think Doug Oade's advice is sound, esp if you have a recorder that is out of warranty.  Anytime you update the firmware on something, you run the risk that you will turn it into a doorstop.  I bricked a Samsung Blu-Ray player updating the firmware once, but luckily replacing a blu-ray player is pretty cheap.  I've known of others who have bricked their recorders doing a firmware upgrade.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

Hopefully this isn't the case with your recorder, but from the description I fear that it is.

I think Doug Oade's advice is sound, esp if you have a recorder that is out of warranty.  Anytime you update the firmware on something, you run the risk that you will turn it into a doorstop.  I bricked a Samsung Blu-Ray player updating the firmware once, but luckily replacing a blu-ray player is pretty cheap.  I've known of others who have bricked their recorders doing a firmware upgrade.

UPDATE: I called Marantz D&M tech again today. They referred me to a place in IL called "Superscope" which specializes in Marantz & Dennon Pro audio gear. Had a nice chat with one of their service techs about what happened and so forth. He told me that there is no factory "re-set switch" on the PMD661 as was mentioned in an Amazon review (would have been nice but no deal). Only way to reset the microprocessor is to remove the AA's and AC power from the unit. Since that didn't work or any other methods I was strongly suggested to sending the unit in. The service tech told me they have seen this before on the 661's but not very often....more with the 660's. Anyway, he said the EPROM was prob shot and needed replacing (most common cause of what I described what happened).

So, I guess my unit will get packaged up and sent off. Could be looking at as much as $200 shipped. OWCH.....fuck that sucks, but at least I know that it CAN be fixed and hopefully not become a door stop.
Shit.....not sure which one of my hobbies cost more.....Taping or Paintball!!! Thanks for everyone tried to help me. I will update when I get my deck back......the saga continues!
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
Thanks for the current update and for finding out that there is actually no reset button, guess that was just too good to be true.  Makes me wonder what that guy had going on though and hopefully it was an isolated situation.

You mentioned you got the unit used, hopefully for a great price to help offset the approx. $200 repair bill.

Best of luck!  Good to know it is fixable at least.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the current update and for finding out that there is actually no reset button, guess that was just too good to be true.  Makes me wonder what that guy had going on though and hopefully it was an isolated situation.

You mentioned you got the unit used, hopefully for a great price to help offset the approx. $200 repair bill.

Best of luck!  Good to know it is fixable at least.

If it costs under $200 I'll be OK......but just barely. Scary thing is this can happen to anyone as it wasn't really the units fault. My PC locked up trying to copy the firmware file to the PMD and froze the PC and disconnected the USB. Its at that point I highly suspect the file never transferred correctly from my PC to the PMD. I'm going to request that the service center do the update for me if they will.......otherwise I'll just wait till I get the guts to try it again. Kind of a bullshit thing to go through if you ask me!!!

Thanks again for your help!
LoS :fish:
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »
You're very welcome, wish it worked out better for you though. 

My iMac has an SDHC card slot built in so I never actually connect the 661 via the USB cable.  I format the card in the 661 and then my iMac reads the recorders files and writes back to it for the updates.  I have even transferred original 661 recorded files back to play in the 661. 

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
This may not help at all, but I had a firmware update fail with my 671.
I was referred somewhere (maybe Superscope) and talked with a super nice guy, who actually owned the company.
He told me that it may be fried and the price was $150-$200.
But he suggested trying the update again because I had nothing to lose.
So I did.  It worked the second time.  So I called him back and thanked him for saving me $200 losing business.
He said they were just trying to do the right thing.  Pretty rare these days, so I left some gushing feedback on his site.
Wish I could remember who that was!

An sorry for not reading this thread sooner.

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
So if I read and recall this correctly, you copied the file via the usb to the recorder and that copy failed.  You then attempted to boot with that partial firmware update?

So for others who may face this..  Could this potentially been avoided if the checksum of the firmware file had been verified before attempting the reboot with the card in the recorder?  Maybe by doing the copy via a card reader rather than the recorder?

Given the $200 price, I might consider popping for a new Tascam dr100mk2 at $280.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
So if I read and recall this correctly, you copied the file via the usb to the recorder and that copy failed.  You then attempted to boot with that partial firmware update?

So for others who may face this..  Could this potentially been avoided if the checksum of the firmware file had been verified before attempting the reboot with the card in the recorder?  Maybe by doing the copy via a card reader rather than the recorder?

Given the $200 price, I might consider popping for a new Tascam dr100mk2 at $280.

Only partially correct. When the firmware file copy failed to the PMD, the PC lost the USB connection to the PMD. When the USB to the PMD was lost it caused it to lock up. I was forced to remove power supply and batteries to get the PMD to reboot. It was at that point when the PMD tried to update the firmware to V2.03 and wouldn't allow me to bypass (even pressing no for updated didn't work), so I thought I was lucky and the file was copied complete. During the upgrade all appeared to go well until the unit just locked up and a white screen appeared and just hung up.

I too have been in contact with Superscope. Super nice folks and yes I had to send the unit in. I was told by one of the techs they have seen this before but more on the 660's so it is a known issue that has happened. I was told at max it should be $200 if they have to replace the EPROM. Ya that sucks indeed but WTF, shit happens.

As far as dumping it and moving onto a Trashcan DR100MK2??? I don't think so....I run a pre/AD into the 661 via SPDIF which the Trashcan doesn't have......no thank you.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:14:45 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
Tascam Press Release:

"Tascam has added an S/PDIF electric digital input to the DR-100mkII. "
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
Tascam Press Release:

"Tascam has added an S/PDIF electric digital input to the DR-100mkII. "

Only has 3/32” (2.5 mm) TRS jack (using the conversion cable made for this unit). So yes, it has a SPDIF format but not with standard coax, you need the special cable conversion from Tascam. I'll stick with the coax connector. It's going to be more durable IMO in the long run for field use. Just my opinion.....
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
UPDATE: Got a call today from Superscope. Tech there told me my 661 have to have the chip reprogrammed and updated to firmware 2.03, no big deal. No fried electronics  ;D  Final estimated repair is $125. Not bad, could have been worse from what I was told. Should be at my house in a week. Once again, be careful if you decide to upgrade your firmware........ ::)

BTW the folks at SuperScope were very professional, helpful and super nice!! If you need any work on your pro Marantz gear this IS the place!!! Top knotch!!  8)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:53:34 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline Diogo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

Guys ,know the topic is old, but I found the FirmWare A2.03, if this is useful to someone , I'm happy, sorry my bad english I'm using translator.

Link:     https://mega.co.nz/#!ppgVFaAQ!Uy4SiR0tPP0Tl3jiwDI-Yj41IxJohJSNRP9Bn-lLTCE

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:10 AM »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com