Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: options for 2 or 4 track recorder with XLR line ins?  (Read 14864 times)

Offline hoccusfoccus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: options for 2 or 4 track recorder with XLR line ins?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
Has any1 modded a R-26 to record 6 balanced inputs?  >:D

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
On the R-26, you can record up to 6 channels at a time, made up of any combination from the following:

-XLR L/R channels (2 channels)
-3.5mm stereo plug, 1 input, (2 channels)
-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

I have used the 4 channel with XLR's and 3.5mm stereo plug and it works very well.

Levels on all channels can be adjusted on the fly without changing  menus (for 4 channels).

I have never used the internals or a 6 channel set up.

This pretty much sums up my experience with the R-26 so far. For 4 channel I'm running my mics into the XLR's with P48 on and SBD into the stereo mini input ('Low' gain setting.) I have mine set up to fine tune XLR levels with the knobs on the front and the 3.5mm input using the touch screen.

Yes, you can toggle the power setting for all inputs.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
On the R-26, you can record up to 6 channels at a time, made up of any combination from the following:

-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

I have used the 4 channel with XLR's and 3.5mm stereo plug and it works very well.

Levels on all channels can be adjusted on the fly without changing  menus (for 4 channels).

Thanks for the info!  And am I right that the "plug in mic" can be set so that there is no plug-in power on?  I would assume so. 

If that's the case, I think that makes this the logical choice under $1000 for multichannel recording.  Lots of ways to go- either get a pre with miniplug out and run it into the mini and take board feeds into the XLRs, or do the reverse, though you might need attenuators to pad that hot input to the miniplug.

Very nice unit, it would seem.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »
Yes, plug in power can be turned off.

Sensitivity can be set individually for all channels.

Another plus is that the battery life is really good, I get approx 6-7 hours on 4 channels with P48 and P-I-P with Eneloops rechargeables.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
though you might need attenuators to pad that hot input to the miniplug.

No attenuators necessary for any except the hottest-of-hot-turned-up-to-11 SBD feeds so far for me...and in that one case I asked the FOH if he could turn it down...he did and the recording is perfect.

Offline NewTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »

-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

Thanks for the info!  And am I right that the "plug in mic" can be set so that there is no plug-in power on?  I would assume so. 

If that's the case, I think that makes this the logical choice under $1000 for multichannel recording.  Lots of ways to go- either get a pre with miniplug out and run it into the mini and take board feeds into the XLRs, or do the reverse, though you might need attenuators to pad that hot input to the miniplug.

Is there an adapter you can buy to connect a 3.5mm Stereo plug into a XLR input?
If I could do line in with two 3.5mm cables this would be perfect!!

NT

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

Is there an adapter you can buy to connect a 3.5mm Stereo plug into a XLR input?
If I could do line in with two 3.5mm cables this would be perfect!!

NT

Sometimes Google is your friend.

http://www.neobits.com/other_y_mpsra_2xf_right_angle_mini_stereo_male_to_p3802670.html?atc=gbs&gclid=CNyg89ym7bICFcqj4AodqlEAsg  - this is just one of the first hits I saw, but I'm sure these can be picked up anywhere. 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Right-Stereo-Female-CYX-402F/dp/B00394LYIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349557898&sr=8-2&keywords=dual+female+XLR+to+3.5mm

That is great to hear about the R-26.  Really makes that a tempting pickup, esp if the price dropped to more the $300 range. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »

-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

OK one last, maybe, silly newbie question.
Since I now know there are adapters, thanks AcidJack,
can you trun off the power to the Phantom Power XLR Inputs?
I ask because my 3.5mm with XLR adapter into the XLR Inputs will not be a microphone and it needs no power.
Will that make a difference?

NT
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:48:33 PM by NewTaper »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:21 AM »
The phantom power can be turned off.

BTW the cable linked above is not correct, you would need male XLR's and a female stereo plug, I got Ted over on the cables board to make me one, highly recommended:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:13:31 AM by yates7592 »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

BTW the cable linked above is not correct, you would need male XLR's and a female stereo plug, I got Ted over on the cables board to make me one, highly recommended:

How can you patch into a soundboard using the male XLR tips?  That'd be the first board in history that I've encountered where you plug in with male XLRs.  Similarly, not really sure how you plug into the deck using a female stereo miniplug input.

Either you or I is confusing what the OP is asking for. If I were running this, I'd go mics into the XLRs using normal XLR cables, and then SBD going stereo miniplug>2xfemale XLR, with the necessary adapter cable to plug into an RCA or TRS board instead.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »

How can you patch into a soundboard using the male XLR tips?  That'd be the first board in history that I've encountered where you plug in with male XLRs.  Similarly, not really sure how you plug into the deck using a female stereo miniplug input.

Either you or I is confusing what the OP is asking for. If I were running this, I'd go mics into the XLRs using normal XLR cables, and then SBD going stereo miniplug>2xfemale XLR, with the necessary adapter cable to plug into an RCA or TRS board instead.

Yes we are confused! I thought the OP was asking about the possibility of recording 2 separate sets of mics with 3.5mm stereo plugs, using an adaptor on the XLR inputs, but maybe I was wrong.

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 06:47:09 AM »

Yes we are confused! I thought the OP was asking about the possibility of recording 2 separate sets of mics with 3.5mm stereo plugs, using an adaptor on the XLR inputs, but maybe I was wrong.

Sorry for the confusion.
yates7592 - You are right. I want to run two sets of mics that have 3.5mm plugs.

NT
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:51:06 AM by NewTaper »

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.
yates7592 - You are right. I want to run two sets of mics that have 3.5mm plugs.

Why not get a Tascam DR-2D if you want to do two sets of mics with 3.5mm? I know both inputs wouldn't be line in like you specified, but if you use an attenuator on the Mic input you could get four channels of 3.5mm inputs for about one quarter of the cost of the R-26

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.

Why not get a Tascam DR-2D if you want to do two sets of mics with 3.5mm? I know both inputs wouldn't be line in like you specified, but if you use an attenuator on the Mic input you could get four channels of 3.5mm inputs for about one quarter of the cost of the R-26

I would like to be able to monitor both channels & to be able to set levels as needed.
With the Tascam once you set the line level you can not change it while recording,
the most you can do is verify that is is not too high or too low. You can not actually
hear the channel with headphones as well while dual recording.

NT

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
Gotcha. Makes sense

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com