Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102539 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »
FollowIng on and melding two seemingly unrelated subjects discussed earlier today, is there any possibility the cyclical issue is a data write/buffering issue related to either running lots of channels simultaneoisly, or a slower than optimal card or some combo of both?

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »
Yeah, I format mine in the machine every time I use it. I've never had an issue doing it that way.

Yep! general best practice... start fresh each time...
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »
Since I'm the proponent of the phantom power on in high heat theory, I'll ask...
Has anyone experienced the cyclical gain problem in cool conditions, or running the DR-680 with no phantom power being on?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Good questions Chuck.

My suspision, and it's only that at this point, is that my episode was possibly caused by a combination of a heavier phantom load than I've had previously, using an external 9V battery power, perhaps aggravated by heat.

This was not the first time I've run 6 mics on phantom power into the 680, but it was the first time I've run the MG M210s in that mix.  I'll have to take a look at the current draw of all the mics I had running this time compared to what I've run into it previously.  This time it was the two pairs of Gefells and one pair of 4061s>Niant PFAs, previously it's typically been 4x4060>PFAs and one pair of Gefells, or 3 AKD TLs and one pair of Gefells, ocassionally other combinations.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »
I recently purchased a lower end external headphone amp for monitoring during shows.  Since I just received my 680 today and will be taking it out on Saturday, I'm curious how the on-board headphone amp is on this and whether I should bring the headphone amp along.  Does it provide enough volume to be able to monitor the recording with the house volume pumping out pretty good?

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
yer asking if you should bring your new toy?   ::)   ;D

I use the onboard for monitoring but the shows aren't that loud nor does it sound that good.

stevetoney

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »
^ True, but I actually bought the headphone amp before I even considered the 680.  I got it partly because the DR100mkii monitor doesn't have much power and partly because I just wanted some more balls behind my ipod.  I was just curious about what to expect out of the 680...thanks for the heads up.

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »
I'd try the stock headphone amp as I feel it does the trick for me. I do have good monitoring headphones that seem to block the show out though. I hate lugging headphones for the most part these days. if levels are good it should be good. i would read the manual a bit and have someone on standby should a new issue arise that you have not seen. I had that when doing 6 or 8 channels in and had to change spdif and monitoring settings on channels 5-8. I really like mine. good luck

I recently purchased a lower end external headphone amp for monitoring during shows.  Since I just received my 680 today and will be taking it out on Saturday, I'm curious how the on-board headphone amp is on this and whether I should bring the headphone amp along.  Does it provide enough volume to be able to monitor the recording with the house volume pumping out pretty good?

stevetoney

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
Thanks Ziko.  I agree about lugging headphones, but sometimes it's fun to have them especially if the show isn't doing it for you and you want to pass some time.  Of course, it's always nice to have them too when you've got new gear for peace of mind that nothing is distorting in background, but after you get some confidence in your levels and all, then it's moot.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
The DR-680's headphone output is certainly nothing to write home about, but not to the point where you should bring an external amp. The two major flaws I've found are mediocre sound quality and a crummy potentiometer, however it is capable of driving most headphones at or near full volume. The gain range is anything but smooth, but overall it will work just fine for what you need to do at a show.

Another point to note is that I initially found the monitoring on the DR-680 to be quite confusing, probably because I didn't read the manual closely enough for quite a few outings. My mistake was that I thought the Solo function was what I needed to use to monitor specific stereo pairs, but all that function does is output a single channel to both left and right headphone channels. Instead, you need to use the front panel "Mix Level" button and lower the mix level to zero of any channel you don't want to hear. That's quite a tedious process because if you only want to hear channels 1&2, you've got to manually turn down 6 other channels (or 4 or 2 depending on how many total tracks you've got going). I much prefer the monitoring on the R-44 where a simple button press rotates between 1&2, 3&4, or all four mixed together.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »
Yes, that's a very good summation of headphone monitoring on the DR-680.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
Hm, seems I only monitor with phones when I'm set up behind the stage someplace where it sounds like crap.... otherwise I just set the levels conservatively and listen to the show.
Don't know if this has been said previously, but the solo buttons actually mute all channels except the ones you "solo" so you can select as many channels as you want.
Good enuff for me to coast through the various mics and see how they are doing..

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
crummy potentiometer.

Its some sort of digitally incremented gain, changing headphone volume level is pretty annoying.  OK once set.

I don't listen while recording unless someone else has phones.  The significant advantage the 680 has over the R44 in monitoring is the ability to pan.  It can be a pain turning down unwanted channels, but if you're fast with the channel ganging buttons you can turn down a bunch at once.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »
I am very close to grabbing a second 680.  Is it true that the cascade feature does not create a true time sync between the machines? 
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:48 AM »
I am very close to grabbing a second 680.  Is it true that the cascade feature does not create a true time sync between the machines?

can't speak for the 680 but i think i read similar issues with synching 2 r44's which i did not experience. The files were identical in length. there might have been a slight delay but i always line up files regardless so....i look forward to folks actual results/responses
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:57:33 AM by ziko »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com