Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 101355 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
I have a question that probably is answered in these threads, but I cannot find it. Last night I used the deck and ran 6 channels plus a mix. All six channels were balanced nicely, but the mix was about 4db higher in one channel than the other. I knew I could fix it in post, but was wondering how to adjust the mix on the fly. Again all 3 sets on mics were evenly balanced so I am wondering how to control Left and Right channels on just the mix balance.

Thanks!

A quick shout out to Darktrain, because having six short cables preset in place (which takes a bit of time to get just right, but once done can just be left in place) made setup and breakdown a breeze  ;D

Well, since no one has responded yet, I'll at least say I checked and don't know how to specifically control the mix level.  Did you double check your Mix Level on the front pannel?  They seem to only control the 6 channels independently, but could you have had your Mix level slightly higher on one channel than the rest?

I think achalsey is right on the money here. I'm not aware of any feature on this deck that will allows you to directly control the recording levels of the mix channels (7 & 8). The only way this could have happened is if you had the mix level or pan for one of you channels (1, 3, and 5 or 2, 4, and 6) adjusted to something other than the default value.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
remember, the channels are summed, so a slightly higher level keeps getting added to itself which could show more after they are all added togther.  IE:  you set both @ -1 but each left mic is 1.2 db higher(ch-1,3,5), something that you might miss with the 680 metering then all the 1.2 get added up making for a 3.6db difference on the 7-8 channel recording.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:30 AM »
remember, the channels are summed, so a slightly higher level keeps getting added to itself which could show more after they are all added togther.  IE:  you set both @ -1 but each left mic is 1.2 db higher(ch-1,3,5), something that you might miss with the 680 metering then all the 1.2 get added up making for a 3.6db difference on the 7-8 channel recording.
Thanks all! I think you all had it more or less correct and Kirk probably nailed most closely what happened. In post I did see one channel on one mix hotter and then on two other pairs of mics a tiny bit higher. I was wondering if there was just something I was missing being so new with the deck. That said, I was impressed at how easily I went from 2 mics to six and the corrections were pretty basic in post. I probably wouldn't do that many mics too often as I ended up with way too many choices as to what to listen to, upload etc, because all 4 recordings sounded really good.  ;D ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
You can contol the level of the stereo mix the same way as each individual channel contributing to it (select the stereo channel by pushing the button under it's meter on the display to adjust it while in mix level mode.  Typically is is best left turned all the way up but useful to attenuate somewhat if the channel sums would otherwise clip.  Unlike the variable panning available on each individual channel, there is only level control and no ability to adjust Left/Right balance.  That level adjustment is for the analog mix only and is not possible with a digital input.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »
You can contol the level of the stereo mix the same way as each individual channel contributing to it (select the stereo channel by pushing the button under it's meter on the display to adjust it while in mix level mode.  Typically is is best left turned all the way up but useful to attenuate somewhat if the channel sums would otherwise clip.  Unlike the variable panning available on each individual channel, there is only level control and no ability to adjust Left/Right balance.  That level adjustment is for the analog mix only and is not possible with a digital input.

So with an analog mix, the entire mix strength can be controlled while in Mix Mode, which is especially useful if the signal of the channels that make up the mix are fairly hot individually thus making the mix, which would be the cumulative effect of those signals, hot enough to clip. That is good to know. At the same time the cumulative effect of say 3 right channels slighly higher than their left counteparts, would show a more pronounced effect of that channel in the Stereo Mix as I observed.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
I had my first hiccup with the 680 last night. At the start of the second set I had the deck on pause record. Once I went to start the deck both the pause and record button started blinking and the message "not continued" popped up on the screen. once the deck was turned off and on it seemed to be fine. The owners manual lists this as an error and says to power it down/up but what actually happened? Any Ideas?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »
I haven't seen that error message with mine.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I've never personally seen that error, but all of the issues I've ever had with this unit have been either to do with the battery or else the card.  Was the card reformatted prior to use?
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
Using 12v sla so there shouldn't be an issue there. The card was not formatted before the show and I actually had to delete a few files after the opener finished his set to make room as I'd forgotten to transfer everything before I left home. However the first set of the headliner went off without a hitch. I'll make sure to format before every show and hope it never happens again.
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

Offline Chuck

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
The card was not formatted before the show and I actually had to delete a few files after the opener finished his set to make room as I'd forgotten to transfer everything before I left home.

Ding Ding Ding

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline fsulloway

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
The card was not formatted before the show and I actually had to delete a few files after the opener finished his set to make room as I'd forgotten to transfer everything before I left home.

Ding Ding Ding

:facepalm: Honestly I've gotten away with it so many times I just thought I was good to go. lesson learned.

AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

Offline Chuck

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
Live and learn  ;)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Speaking of living and learning.   Learned the hard way that it sounds better when I run an MP-2 into the 680 if I set the 680 to mic level and crank the volume down on the 680 as opposed to setting the 680 to line-in like one would think when coming out of another preamp.

Did someone here say that the line-in is the same path as mic-in but just attenuated?  Now I get it!   :facepalm:

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »
Speaking of living and learning.   Learned the hard way that it sounds better when I run an MP-2 into the 680 if I set the 680 to mic level and crank the volume down on the 680 as opposed to setting the 680 to line-in like one would think when coming out of another preamp.

Did someone here say that the line-in is the same path as mic-in but just attenuated?  Now I get it!   :facepalm:
At the Pickathon this summer
Busman (Chris Johnson) told me for the 680 that often from a sbd or line feed to run as mic in and turn the gain down... I cant remember exactly why, but if you tried line in on TRS it was way too low, could be a +4 and -10 issue. Most pro gear line level is +4db while most  consumer line level is -10db.
I tried it during soundcheck... and yes the mic level in and adjust from there, since line with the pad still was too hot.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:53:36 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »

Ding Ding Ding

Late to this discussion because I'm new to the 680.  In fact, I won't have it until tomorrow.

But as far as card read errors go, just remember that the fuller a card gets and the longer it's been since it's been formatted, the more 'work' needs to be done to locate free sectors for writing music onto.  So the more jumping around that's needed to find free sectors, particularly with a slow card that hasn't been reformatted in a long time, the more of a chance you'll have buffer overloads which cause drop-outs or worse.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com