Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy sd744 ssd drive ?  (Read 4391 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
diy sd744 ssd drive ?
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
has anyone installed an ssd drive in their 744/22? with the complicating factor: my unit is so old that it needs the pata > sata adapter.  on the last issue, has anyone done this old drive > new drive swap using a generic/non sound devices pata > sata adapter? the sd pata > sata is $117, which is not breaking the bank -- especially if it's a physical configuration issue -- but of course, standard pata > sata costs $6.  anyone enter this world before?
db

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: diy sd744 ssd drive ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:22:48 PM »
would size be an issue (2.5" ide>2.5"ssd sata with adaptor)?  If so, would going another step to an even smaller msata drive help?  I see a few 44pin ide/pata>msata adaptors out there.

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »
would size be an issue (2.5" ide>2.5"ssd sata with adaptor)?  If so, would going another step to an even smaller msata drive help?  I see a few 44pin ide/pata>msata adaptors out there.

sd tech is pretty well convinced that their device is essential to install any sata drive.

this is what it looks like:  http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/xlsata_en.pdf

sd devices also claim (in email to me) that they have heard of success and "odd issues" with ssd drives in the smaller 7 series units. i'm at a loss as to why there would be any issues. they're offering me a samsung 250gb sata drive for $197, which is, gently put, fucking nuts. so i went looking and found this one:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT120M500SSD1

i have a number of 2.5 satas here at work that will cost $0.00...
db

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
way outside of my comfort zone here, but I know that one needs to be careful with which ssd manufacturer/model choices when substituting into a mac -- believe it has to do with how trim control and garbage collection is implemented and a need (on a mac) to use a drive that recognizes the same commands apple's built into its code for drives it recognizes.  Interestingly, Samsung is one of the "go to" drives for macs for this reason.  So, I'm not too surprised by the "odd issues" comment -- and would wonder how a device that was not designed/built for a ssd would interact with a ssd.  That said, I'm still skepitcal as to why an expensive/"magic" adaptor would be required to perform a basic IDE>sata conversion -- these seem to be basic format translators . . .

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
way outside of my comfort zone here, but I know that one needs to be careful with which ssd manufacturer/model choices when substituting into a mac -- believe it has to do with how trim control and garbage collection is implemented and a need (on a mac) to use a drive that recognizes the same commands apple's built into its code for drives it recognizes.  Interestingly, Samsung is one of the "go to" drives for macs for this reason.  So, I'm not too surprised by the "odd issues" comment -- and would wonder how a device that was not designed/built for a ssd would interact with a ssd.  That said, I'm still skepitcal as to why an expensive/"magic" adaptor would be required to perform a basic IDE>sata conversion -- these seem to be basic format translators . . .

i'm with you on this. i'm going to dig a bit more, but from the source: 

"The XL-SATA is a custom adapter that carries data and power in the same ribbon cable, specific to our gear. Without this adapter you wont be able to install any modern SATA drives..."
db

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
I went threw this same issue last year when I installed my ssd drive into the 744 I broke down and bought the adapter they sell it worked like a champ. Still didn't help out on the heat it puts out.But super fast though I screwed up taping last Sunday realized the mytek was clocked in at 24/176 and it handled it without a issue while my cf card freaked out lol

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
I went threw this same issue last year when I installed my ssd drive into the 744 I broke down and bought the adapter they sell it worked like a champ. Still didn't help out on the heat it puts out.But super fast though I screwed up taping last Sunday realized the mytek was clocked in at 24/176 and it handled it without a issue while my cf card freaked out lol

which ssd did you use?
db

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
128GB 2.5" SATA III SSD720 Solid State Internal Drive from Transcend
When I got it was 120 looks like there 150 now.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
Well there is such a thing as a PATA SSD, linked below, but I imagine it's a bit of a crapshoot as to whether or not it will work w/o hiccups. Of course, speeds will be smaller and capacity will be slower, but it would still have the advantage of no moving parts vs. a mechanical disk.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128-2-5-SSD-IDE/dp/B007IXORCO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372382323&sr=8-5&keywords=pata+ssd

they're offering me a samsung 250gb sata drive for $197, which is, gently put, fucking nuts...

I'm not sure I understand the issue is here. An SSD at < $1 per GB is pretty reasonable. As an early adopter of SSDs, I've purchased plenty of them at costs as high as > $3 per GB. That's a competitive price these days for a 250GB drive.

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Well there is such a thing as a PATA SSD, linked below, but I imagine it's a bit of a crapshoot as to whether or not it will work w/o hiccups. Of course, speeds will be smaller and capacity will be slower, but it would still have the advantage of no moving parts vs. a mechanical disk.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128-2-5-SSD-IDE/dp/B007IXORCO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372382323&sr=8-5&keywords=pata+ssd

they're offering me a samsung 250gb sata drive for $197, which is, gently put, fucking nuts...

I'm not sure I understand the issue is here. An SSD at < $1 per GB is pretty reasonable. As an early adopter of SSDs, I've purchased plenty of them at costs as high as > $3 per GB. That's a competitive price these days for a 250GB drive.

the issue is that for 197 clams i'm getting a 5400rmp samsung standard drive. sd is not recommending ssd drives because of odd issues that have been reported to them, according to their communication with me.

edit: but then that pata drive you mentioned could work. dunno.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:37:56 PM by db »
db

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
Ah, that makes sense. I thought the $197 was for a Samsung SSD, not a mechanical drive. That is a bit steep.

My inclination is to say that Sound Devices are being cautious in their advice. I'm sure they invest a lot in testing various media and take reported issue seriously (as evidenced by their recent post-release removal of compatible CF and SD cards for the 664 mixer) and of course SSDs are all over the place in terms of controller chips and firmware. Even if they tested and recommend a specific SSD brand and model for use with their older generation recorders, it probably won't be available for more than 6 months and they'd have to stock outdated SSDs as parts. Speculating here, of course.

If $117 isn't going to break the bank and you've got a few SSDs laying around for testing, I'd say go for the adapter. It'll probably work and I'm sure a few others can and will confirm kingkita's experience. Glad to know this is an issue with 744ts since I would want to do the same.

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 02:54:46 AM »
Glad to know this is an issue with 744ts since I would want to do the same.

it's only an issue with older units where the drives were pata.
db

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »
I run a 120GB Intel Maple Crest SSD in my 744. Absolutely 0 issues over the last 6 months or so with fairly moderate use, mostly at 24/48 with 4ch. I also had to install the XL-SATA. Super easy.

I also ran a 40GB Intel SSD in my old 722 with zero issues for about the same amount of time before I upgraded to the 744.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
I run a 120GB Intel Maple Crest SSD in my 744. Absolutely 0 issues over the last 6 months or so with fairly moderate use, mostly at 24/48 with 4ch. I also had to install the XL-SATA. Super easy.

I also ran a 40GB Intel SSD in my old 722 with zero issues for about the same amount of time before I upgraded to the 744.

thanks.
db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com