Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R4 modded vs Tascam DR680  (Read 2684 times)

Offline melvis1645

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
R4 modded vs Tascam DR680
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »
Thinking about getting one of these two from YS. The r4 is modded and about 300 more than the tascam which is stock. Anyone care to offer opinions of each?

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: R4 modded vs Tascam DR680
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »
That's something I was wondering myself!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
What do you record, like what environments? How often would you need more than 4 channels? What would you want to power the unit with?

I think those are the three questions I'd want to answer that would impact a decision on those two specifically.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline melvis1645

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
Mostly local bands in bars but also jambands. I have a couple of WSP shows coming up. My mics are Nak cm300, CA 14s , At943 Hypers, and adk sc-t. My pres are ca-9200, UA5, Niant big box and a DV promix 3. I would not need more than 4 channels very often and power would either be alkaline batteries or I also have a naztech 1500 and wouldn't be against getting another or dvd battery. Remote power is not really a concern I can get whatever I need. To me it is mostly a question of how much do I want to spend on a recorder. A modded r4 is pretty much my dream but the tascam is less money and an upgrade from what I currently have (dr2d and pmd670).

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
If you want a Roland/edirol I would get an R44 instead of the R4!!  Newer model, smaller, and doesn't resample the digi in. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
If you want a Roland/edirol I would get an R44 instead of the R4!!  Newer model, smaller, and doesn't resample the digi in. 

but not available in the YS currently which as the original criteria (although I do agree with you, I'd get the R-44 first).

Mostly local bands in bars but also jambands. I have a couple of WSP shows coming up. My mics are Nak cm300, CA 14s , At943 Hypers, and adk sc-t. My pres are ca-9200, UA5, Niant big box and a DV promix 3. I would not need more than 4 channels very often and power would either be alkaline batteries or I also have a naztech 1500 and wouldn't be against getting another or dvd battery. Remote power is not really a concern I can get whatever I need. To me it is mostly a question of how much do I want to spend on a recorder. A modded r4 is pretty much my dream but the tascam is less money and an upgrade from what I currently have (dr2d and pmd670).

Ok, well, two things that I'd read up on and see which bothers you less for your environment:

The R4 is bigger, and uses an hdd (and CF mods have so far proven unsuccessful). There is something in the design that will cause the hdd to produce write errors under heavy bass (e.g. electronic/dance levels of bass) so lots of care is needed to ensure vibration reduction padding is adequate. Second, if you use the digital in, you only get 2 channels, you can't do a mix of 2+2 with the digital connection. The downsides of the 680 are that a number of people have fried theirs when field powering them, they seem particularly finicky about that. Second, it seems to occasionally eat a file so you come home with nothing. If you need the extra channels on the cheap, it's an ok recorder, but it's not something I'd put myself in a position where I had to have a recording at the end of the night. Lots of people love them and have no issues, so read up through the unit's thread for detailed info there.

//disclaimer; a guy I know used an R4 when I was taping with him a lot so I have more first hand knowledge of that unit and the threads here on TS. I have read the threads on the 680, but I haven't run one nor do I have any extensive experience in the field taping with others who have.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline melvis1645

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I will just wait and try to find a R44.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I will just wait and try to find a R44.

Smart move ;) I also think the R44 is more reliable than an R4 or DR680!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com