Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Usbpre2 clock sync with D50...  (Read 4094 times)

Offline saltyheaven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Usbpre2 clock sync with D50...
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
First post here!  yay!

Hi all,

Is there anyone here that can shed some light on this for me...

My most favourite and used piece of equipment is my Usbpre 2, 90% of the time it is everything I need.
  Occasionally, I would like to be able to record 4 tracks at once though.
 My little portable rig consists of a Sony D50 piggybacked to a Denecke PS2 phantom power supply. I have been trying to get the Usbpre and the D50 to sync clocks via optical SPDIF.
  I have had it confirmed from Sound Devices that this should be possible and that indeed it does appear to be happening because I get solid green SPDIF LEDs on the usbpre 2.

However,   when I import the D50 audio into my daw and line things up I'm getting a drift of 120 samples or so in a minute. Plenty to give me all sorts of phase issues.

I've triple checked that sample rates are set alike across all devices. I've sent a further query to Sound Devices but have not yet received a reply...

The Usbpre2 is in interface mode and sending it's audio to my DAW, the D50 is recording to it's inbuilt memory to be transferred to the computer post recording. The optical SPDIF connection goes out from the D50 in to the usbpre2.

If I had the money I'd buy a 744 and be done with it, alas that is not to be...

cheers, 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Usbpre2 clock sync with D50...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
You shouldn't have any lights for the SPDIF though unless you're clocking against an external piece of hardware, just your mic/line lights if you're using the clock on the usbpre2.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
Hi Page,  thanks for taking the time to reply.   I probably didn't explain very well.  The usbpre2 is syncing to the D50's clock.

Can I tempt you to have a little read on this gearslutz thread where the setup has been explained more fully...?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/869174-usbpre2-sync-d50.html#post9425815

Cheers

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Why don't you clock the D50 to the USBPre2?
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »
Can I tempt you to have a little read on this gearslutz thread where the setup has been explained more fully...?

Yeah, I actually saw the initial reply (I'm not a member, but I occasionally browse), but I hadn't seen any of the replies. And yes, that does explain some things.

So out of curiosity, have you tried doing just D50 > usbpre2 > PC, just with 2 channels? Just to confirm that the pre2 will accurately see the D50's signal (I knew that it could supposedly do an optical out, I just never tried that piece).

yeah, it's not explained here well, but he's trying to get 4 tracks that are all clocked together using a PC, the pre2 and a D50.

So it's

Code: [Select]
sources 1/2   >   usbpre2 > PC
                     ^         (via optical out from the D50 into the usbpre2)
sources 3/4 > ps2 > d50
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »

Yeah, I actually saw the initial reply (I'm not a member, but I occasionally browse), but I hadn't seen any of the replies. And yes, that does explain some things.

So out of curiosity, have you tried doing just D50 > usbpre2 > PC, just with 2 channels? Just to confirm that the pre2 will accurately see the D50's signal (I knew that it could supposedly do an optical out, I just never tried that piece).

yeah, it's not explained here well, but he's trying to get 4 tracks that are all clocked together using a PC, the pre2 and a D50.

So it's

Code: [Select]
sources 1/2   >   usbpre2 > PC
                     ^         (via optical out from the D50 into the usbpre2)
sources 3/4 > ps2 > d50
I externally clock with a usbpre2 all the time.  Granted coax spdif.  So my first thought is the recording software i have on my PC has choice as to what it clocks against.  (soundcard, pre2 etc) and it also has a choice of clocking to the input or output signal.  So I am guessing your recording sofware is not set to clock to the pre2.  I do know that when I use the pre2 for clocking it ios perfectly dead on with what it accepts spdif from. 

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
Awesome.  thanks guys.

George2 - The D50 doesn't provide that functionality.

Page: Good thinking.  I tried simply setting the usbpre inputs to SPDIF and the Usbpre sees the optical signal and passes the content perfectly when it is in stand alone mode BUT,  When it's in interface mode the SPDIF leds light solid but no audio is passed. SO...

kirkd:  I'm thinking you may be right and there could be some setting in REAPER that is mucking up the clock sync.  I've searched and searched the options and menus and don't see anything yet, I'll put this out to the REAPER guys and see what comes up. Out of interest, what is your recording software that provides the options of what to clock against?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I tried simply setting the usbpre inputs to SPDIF and the Usbpre sees the optical signal and passes the content perfectly when it is in stand alone mode BUT,  When it's in interface mode the SPDIF leds light solid but no audio is passed. SO...

Ok, that makes sense. I've used the feature a lot with coax spdif but I'd never tried it with my d50.

If you don't make much progress, I can try it later as I use Reaper, but I'm on OSX instead of Win7 so the driver issue that was mentioned on GS would still be a potential issue...

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
Thanks Page,

I'll let you know how I get on.   If you have time to do a quick test even though you're OSX it might show something up.

cheers.

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
Awesome.  thanks guys.

kirkd:  I'm thinking you may be right and there could be some setting in REAPER that is mucking up the clock sync.  I've searched and searched the options and menus and don't see anything yet, I'll put this out to the REAPER guys and see what comes up. Out of interest, what is your recording software that provides the options of what to clock against?
I use Adobe Audition CS 5.5.   Another thing I also realized after posting is that I am always using the spdif output of the PRe2.  I can't see how that would make a difference but you never know.  Sorry.  I have dabbled in reaper but really prefer Audition even over pro tools and many others.  As for Audition the options are in preferences under hardware.  Probably no help with reaper. 

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »
Well, I never did get a further reply from Sound Devices. I don't hold it against them, they primarily supply professionals and I'm small fry trying to do something a bit odd to save a few bucks.
  Final word from me:  It seems that the Usbpre 2 wont sync while in interface mode with my current setup and equipment. Nevermind.

Thanks all for your efforts all the same.

Cheers,  Mikey

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
Have you tried forcing your Pre2 into dual mode.  IE allowing PC and Pre amp active at the same time.  I think if you hold down both the PC & pre buttons when you plug the USB cord in then you get both active.  It's been awhile and I am reciting this from memory.  I would also try to get in touch at SD again.  I have never found them to be a company that disregards it's customers

Offline saltyheaven

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
Hi kirkd,   
     Thanks for that, it is a good suggestion. I just tried it and there is no audio passed to USB while in 'standalone' mode, which is activated by holding the meter (pre/pc) button while powering up.
  I've not heard of 'Dual' mode and find no mention of it in the manual or elsewhere. However that is exactly what is needed: a mode where the usbpre will use it's own clock (or sync to an external one) while ignoring the computer's clock but still be happy to pass audio to USB.

Yes, you're probably right, I should chase up Sound Devices on this..

cheers,  mikey

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com