Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 107305 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
Anyone else have this issue?

When I have internals batteries in my 680 they discharge and die in about a week when the unit is off and sitting, is that normal? They are new rechargeables.

I've noticed that on occasion, but not sure if it happens consitantly or not.  I do leave NiMH low self-discharge AA batteries in my recorders until I replace them before the next use, mostly to keep the clocks set.  I've never had alkaline cell type leakage problems using NiMH cells in any gear, anyone know if that a legitimate concern with this cell type?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

When I have internals batteries in my 680 they discharge and die in about a week when the unit is off and sitting, is that normal? They are new rechargeables.

I've noticed that on occasion, but not sure if it happens consitantly or not.  I do leave NiMH low self-discharge AA batteries in my recorders until I replace them before the next use, mostly to keep the clocks set.  I've never had alkaline cell type leakage problems using NiMH cells in any gear, anyone know if that a legitimate concern with this cell type?

Ok so you swap them for every show? I guess I should buy an other set of batteries. What do you use for a charger? I have a 4 battery alpha something charger that's very nice and expensive, but I'd like to know what you use to charge, and it's nice if I could do 8 at a time.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
I always run the 680 and R44 off DVD batteries, so the AAs are simply for back-up and clock retention.  the DVD batteries have been so reliable that for one-night gigs I've gotten complacent and manytimes don't bother replacing the AA's even if they've become discharged.  I always replace them before a multi-day fest when I know I may be swapping DVD batteries.

I use Maha Imedion AAs and the Maha MH-C9000 charger, which may be a bit over-compex but works well and has modes for break-in, cell matching and analysis and runs off 12VDC so its campable.  It only does 4 cells at a time though.  Pretty sure Maha makes 8 cell chargers as well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

Ok so you swap them for every show? I guess I should buy an other set of batteries. What do you use for a charger? I have a 4 battery alpha something charger that's very nice and expensive, but I'd like to know what you use to charge, and it's nice if I could do 8 at a time.
Hey philzone,

Have a 680 and leaving in batteries does drain them. I remember some post about this way long ago at TS. Not sure where though. I put in Akaline double A's and in 3-4 weeks or month plus or so they would drain. So I never run them anymore. Even though they are a back up if my external goes bad. Don't like the weight they add to the machine and they did leak once though I just caught it and it cleaned out easily. Did not like taking them out after each show and sometimes I would forget if I ran them the last time and how much did they drain from just sitting in the closet between show and 8 batteries are expensive way to go. (Found Home depot had cheapest double A batteries)  The double A would run out at about 2.5 hours running 6 channels at 24/96 with phantom on for one set of channels. Most shows I attend are 3 hours so the batteries really are only a back up and to have 8 of them was too much.

So I just go with the most reliable external battery - tekkeon 3450 and it runs the 680 with even  8 channels at 24/96 for 4+ hours. Unless I am at a very long show. All I need is another tekkeon backup and I am good for 4 more hours. Many do not like the tekkeon though...

Just find what works for you and go with it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:51:58 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
It's been a while since I've tested this, but I'm 99% certain the batteries won't drain if you correctly power down the unit and only drain when left in stand-by mode. Make sure you turn the unit completely off and then use the "hold" switch on the top of the unit.

From a best practice perspective:
- Not using internal AAs is incredibly risky
- They shouldn't be left in the unit for extended periods of time, but if it means you're too lazy/busy to replace them... leave them in.

You need to be using AAs. If you don't and lose power, you are basically fucked and your files will not be recoverable. Just because an external battery has adequate capacity (perhaps many times over) does not safeguard you from losing power. Bags get bumped an power cables can get yanked. Imagine a wook spills a beer on your bag and you are frantically trying to clean up the mess? Think you can do this without accidentally yanking the power cord? How about if the DC Input jack becomes loose? Mine is and if I wiggle it just right, it will cut over to internal AA power. Power failure can occur in many ways and it's suicide not to use the internals when the unit won't finish writing to the SD Card.

As far as leaving in batteries between shows, yes... you should remove them when applicable. Not going to a show for a week or longer? Probably best to remove them. Have a show in a few days? Don't even bother... leave everything in your gear bag and just make sure to properly power down the unit w/ the hold switch.

At the end of the day, this is a $400 recorder. The batteries probably aren't going to leak in a week and if they do, it's easily replaced technology.

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
Just to clear it up I use external power. My battery is the naztech pb15000 and its awesome.

Those are all very good chunks of info, I guess I just have to take out the batteries when not in use.

Thanks
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »
Yep.  One should always have charged AAs in there when recording with an external power source.  Just because I sometimes get away without swapping them out them once discharged certainly isn't a suggestion to do that!  It's a Berenstain Bear lesson waiting to happen.

I am curious about whether NiMH rechargeable AAs actually pose a realistic potential leak hazard or not, regardless of removing them as best-practice.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
Possible very stupid question warning, but could you just take out one battery to prevent drain?

I used to keep AA's in there, but got tired of switching out the drained ones, and almost never do anymore.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Possible very stupid question warning, but could you just take out one battery to prevent drain?

I used to keep AA's in there, but got tired of switching out the drained ones, and almost never do anymore.

I was thinking that as well, ill try to do that at some point as long as it won't damage the unit.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

I was thinking that as well, ill try to do that at some point as long as it won't damage the unit.
FWIW: I always use alkaline batteries in my DR 680, and experience no drain at all. In contrast, I have a Tascam HD-P2 which will apply a constant drain to the batteries inside. I may go quite some time between using either deck as I have a few other decks I use too, but have never had an alkaline leak. I am sure they could, but it would likely have to be in the deck a pretty long time.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »
Maiden voyage Thursday for a tracking session.  Local HS girl needs an audition recording (tenor player).  Picked up two K&M stands (210/2 and 210/9): the build quality on these is incredible!

Plan (six track):
Avantone CK-40 in Blumlein (grand piano)
Avantone CK-1 (Busman), Recorderman configuration (drums)
AT4050 (bass)
AT4050 (tenor)

Recording in a HS music room.  Can't imagine it will sound good (so I'm close micing), but I'm making a separate safety room recording with an AT825>PMD661.

I've read all the posts.  I've played around with it in my basement.

Wish me luck....

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:02:22 PM by boltman »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:01 PM »
good luck..

jamesa5454

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 06:18:11 AM »
Hey all, forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong spot.

I was doing some SFX recording today with a loaned DR-680 when this happened:

https://soundcloud.com/james-ashton/tascam-dr680-overheating

I had a quick search on the internet and found a few people mention that they can overheat, and I suspect that I may have fallen victim. It was around 35 degrees (95 Fahrenheit) and I was recording to all 6 channels, with +48v phantom engaged on each. The AC power indicator stayed on, even when I removed the AC plug whilst troubleshooting. After 5-10 minutes (and a software reset) it seemed to function correctly again, only to start doing it again 15 minutes later.

Does anybody recognise this fault to be due to overheating? And I guess more importantly - is it simply a heat issue that will disappear once the unit has cooled? Or does this mean the unit needs to go back to Tascam for repair? I've racked up quite a few hours with this recorder now and was quite impressed up to this point, but this definitely ain't cool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

James

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »
Based on your description, I would say that overheating is certainly a possibility. In my experience, the dropouts would gradually increase from about 1-2 seconds apart to relatively close to the pace in your recording. I assume this occurred on all six channels?

I can't tell you if the unit needs repair. In my situation, the problem doesn't seem to have caused any long-term issues. The unit functions exactly as expected once its cooled down and my ears don't detect any issues. That said, I have always been curious to take a look inside and will probably do an inspection at some point. If everything looks ok on the inside, I may consider modding the case to improve ventilation.

jamesa5454

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:20 AM »
Thanks for your reply - well I've had a trouble free day of recording today (it was 10 degrees cooler!), so I'm guessing that I'm free of long term issues too. Fingers crossed. Might take a cooler with some ice packs with me on the next hot one!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com