Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Passing ADAT and TRS with a Focusrite MKII  (Read 2971 times)

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Passing ADAT and TRS with a Focusrite MKII
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
Also posted here http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=165064.msg2070719#msg2070719

Anyone know if the Focusrite Octopre MKII (NOT the dynamic model) will pass both TRS and ADAT out at the same time?

Did an 8 channel gig last night and going back for round two tonight.  Had some issues with one channel last night so I'm looking for some redundancy in case it was a bad TRS cable on my end.  Too many factors involved to figure out exactly what the issue was.  Here is what I am thinking of doing tonight for redundancy.

For the input:
16 channel Console > TRS Direct Outs > Focusrite TRS

For the output:
Focusrite TRS > HD24 TRS on channels 1-8
Focusrite ADAT > HD24 ADAT on channels 9-16

Offline kcmule

Re: Passing ADAT and TRS with a Focusrite MKII
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Maybe so.

Direct outputs on every channel
For routing and flexibility, especially in the live environment. Each mic-pre can be routed to the mixers analogue channels, with two mirrored ADAT outputs (44.1) left free to send to digital recorders.

Source http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=8802

That leaves the question: Can the HD24 record from both ADAT and TRS at the same time.  I suspect so, but I'll see if I can test this before the gig tonight.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
Maybe so.

Direct outputs on every channel
For routing and flexibility, especially in the live environment. Each mic-pre can be routed to the mixers analogue channels, with two mirrored ADAT outputs (44.1) left free to send to digital recorders.

Source http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=8802

That leaves the question: Can the HD24 record from both ADAT and TRS at the same time.  I suspect so, but I'll see if I can test this before the gig tonight.
Not 100% positive but I don't think the HD-24 can do analog and ADAT at the same time.  I Have never tried to split the inputs but I seem to recall reading on the HD-24 groups that the deck was one or the other. 

Offline kcmule

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
Thinking you can set the hd24 to be digital or analog per bank of 8 via the utility input map

Offline kcmule

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
Thinking you can set the hd24 to be digital or analog per bank of 8 via the utility input map

Looks like this can be done in pairs not per banks of 8.  I set input map via HD24 utility for channels 9-10 to digital instead of analog. 

With a quick test, appears this is doable.

Input:
1 channel from PC sound card via TRS > Octopre TRS channel 1

Output:
Octopre TRS channel 1 > HD24 TRS Channel 1
Octopre ADAT channels 1-8  > HD24 ADAT channels 1-8

Recording result was channels 1 and 9 recording the same data.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:03:33 PM by kcmule »

Offline kcmule

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
Tried this last night at the gig, it works.  Couple of things I noticed:

1. I dug out two optical cables, not being sure if either were completely functional (don't use them often), I thought I'd try and use them both.  The octopre data states that when doing 44.1 or 48 the two ADAT outs are mirrored.  So, I had one cable from each output on the octopre ran into the HD24 ADAT inputs 9-16 and 17-24.  Adjusted the input map on the HD24 to be digital in for those banks of channels.  I was only able to receive signal on 9-16 nothing on 17-24.  Swapped inputs on the back of the HD24 and had signal on 17-24 but not 9-16.  So, not sure if this is an octopre or HD24 issue.

2.  The digital in signals where hotter than the analog signals by about 3db or so (eyeballing it in samplitude).  So the octopre digital out must run hotter than the TRS out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com