Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: recorder suggestions for DAT transfers  (Read 3347 times)

Offline bigalow

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ISO: recorder suggestions for DAT transfers
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:11 PM »
Hello everyone-

I am in the process of transferring a sizable DAT collection to wav files and am now in the market for a new digital recorder. I have been out of the tapers circle for many years now and don't really know what people use these days. I would like a recorder that has digital in/out that I can transfer from a DAT machine straight to wav files on a SD or whatever the options are on the recorder. It might be wishful thinking but I would like a portable unit for obvious reasons but since my budget isn't huge I am open to non portable units as well. I don't really have a set budget but I would like to spend the least amount possible (without cutting corners) as I might be purchasing several of these devices to ramp up the project.

The DR-100MKII looks like a decent option but I don't like that I can't output a digital signal to another device.

Really, I am open to just about any suggestion. Any and all input is appreciated!

edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:41:30 AM by bigalow »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: ISO: recorder suggestions for DAT transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:27:19 AM »
Look for a cheap marantz 670! That's what I used last year! Check ebay
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »
Hello everyone-

I am in the process of transferring a sizable DAT collection to wav files and am now in the market for a new digital recorder. I have been out of the tapers circle for many years now and don't really know what people use these days. I would like a recorder that has digital in/out that I can transfer from a DAT machine straight to wav files on a SD or whatever the options are on the recorder. It might be wishful thinking but I would like a portable unit for obvious reasons but since my budget isn't huge I am open to non portable units as well. I don't really have a set budget but I would like to spend the least amount possible (without cutting corners) as I might be purchasing several of these devices to ramp up the project.

The DR-100MKII looks like a decent option but I don't like that I can't output a digital signal to another device.

The DR-100II is one of the *very* few portable recorders that has a digital input - you will need this to properly clone the DAT tape.

As for digital output - you connect the recorder directly to the computer or take out the flash card and pop that in the computer.  You then download the files to the computer and edit and burn the CD there.  You don't really need a normal digital output, which is why it doesn't have it.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
I don't like that I can't output a digital signal to another device.

You don't really need a normal digital output, which is why it doesn't have it.

Yeah, no one really "patches" anymore since it just easier to get a copy of the Flash Card or wait for a download...

I have an HD-P2 and one of the features I looked for was SPDIF output...  I have NEVER used it, and have NEVER had anyone ask me for a patch...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bigalow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
The DR-100II is one of the *very* few portable recorders that has a digital input - you will need this to properly clone the DAT tape.

As for digital output - you connect the recorder directly to the computer or take out the flash card and pop that in the computer.  You then download the files to the computer and edit and burn the CD there.  You don't really need a normal digital output, which is why it doesn't have it.

I was thinking a digi output in case I ever motivated to record in the field again. I do still own some mics and other hardware but I realistically don't foresee much of it. I was just was thinking I would keep my options open/available. Not a make or break deal since my real priority is transferring DATs.

On a different note - is there a consensus on what bit/sample rate(s) is a 'standard' these days? I know it's not necessary for a DAT transfer but should I be considering a recorder that handles 24/96 or 24/192 in order to future proof or be compatible with other devices such as a 24 bit soundboard?

Are there affordable rack mount or 'home' deck alternatives that I should maybe consider?

thanks again for everyone's input

edit: previous post kind of answered my patching question/concerns. Seems odd to me that people don't 'patch' for that instant gratification after a show. gotta love the interwebz these days!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:14:21 AM by bigalow »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »
Are any tapes 32khz ?  If so you may want to track down a JB3 for the 32khz xfers (the jb3 does record as 16bit files - extra 4 bits padded  - 32khz LP mode is 12bit natively)

You may also consider the Tascam HD-P2 for 44.1 and 48k xfers
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:24:39 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bigalow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »
Are any tapes 32khz ?  If so you may want to track down a JB3 for the 32khz xfers (the jb3 does record as 16bit files - extra 4 bits padded  - 32khz LP mode is 12bit natively)

not that I am aware of - most are 44.1 or 48k. thanks for the suggestion.

anyone have any stand alone/rack mount suggestions?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

not that I am aware of - most are 44.1 or 48k. thanks for the suggestion.

anyone have any stand alone/rack mount suggestions?

Tascam makes a line of rack mounted SD recorders:  SS-R100 and SS-R200...  They have higher end units that do 24bit, but these (2) do 16/48...

Honestly, you may be better off finding a portable that does the same thing...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
A short time ago I was in a similar situation but I decided to add to my PC a Roland UA-700 (I bought used for 100 euro and I can also directly plug my guitar) and all went smoothly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com