Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure MV88 iPhone Mic  (Read 13886 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Shure MV88 iPhone Mic
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
Used it for Dylan tonight and the recording stopped at 1:15:27 for seemingly no reason. I'll have to test it out a bit more to see if that happens again.
I’ve had that happen a couple of times when I’ve got short on space on the iPhone (down to the last few hundred MB).  It was on an iPhone 5s.  I’ve not had the problem when I’ve had more space.   Assume you had it on airplane mode and with notifications set off? Did it come up with message ‘unexpected recording error’ (or similar)?

When it happened to me I searched on the web and couldn’t find any mention of others having a similar problem, so I’m interested in whether your situation had anything in common with my experience (I.e. available space on phone and model).

Also it’s probably worth closing down any apps that are running in the background before you start recording - I’ve got no evidence that this caused my problems but I’ve only just discovered how to do it, so think I will do in future as then all processing power will be available for the recording app

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201330

Had it in airplane mode, and plenty of space (10+ GB). Was also using a SE, I believe at the latest version (not sure if everything was updated). Good idea on having apps closed down, will think to do that next time.

Also, I believe that was the error message I received.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:21:20 AM by heesu »

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
^ thanks for getting back to me.  If it happens again I’ll try to remember to take a screenshot and send it off to Shure Europe - they were very helpful last time I had a query, but I’d like to have a picture of the exact error message before I ask them (the times it has occurred I’ve been in a mad panic trying to ‘save’ things and never thought to take a screenshot).

I don’t know much about the processing specs of the various iPhone models, but we’re both using phones a few away from the latest models, so I wonder whether the app is pushing the processor close to its limits, so it doesn’t take much to make it fall over?
I’d be interested if anyone with a newer model has any similar experiences.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »
FWIW, I have an Iphone 6 for work that I've used, and have had no trouble. In fact, I tested it today and it ran for about 6 hours w/ no issues. I'm going to do the same with the SE tonight.

Update, here's the response I received from Shure (quite promptly, I might add):

Hey there Erik,

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Motiv setup. I've got a few a suggestions that could help alleviate the issue.

1. Please update your iOS device to the newest version of the OS.

2. Uninstall and reinstall the Motiv app.

3. If those previous steps don't resolve the issue, please try this method as recommended by our Motiv development team for Error Message 66570.

1. Back up device to iTunes, making sure it’s encrypted to save passwords, etc. https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203977 How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
2. Restore device to factory settings: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201252 Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings
3. Restore from backup: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204184 Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

It takes about an hour. That should “clean up” the storage. It will also free up space from email attachments, cache, etc.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:16:48 PM by heesu »

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
Ok, I think park of the problem might have been an outdated iOS vs the app. I’m guessing it’s some combo of that vs system memory. Not exactly sure how to prove this, but I’m going to keep my phone/app updated, apps cleared out, and as much space open as possible.

FWIW, I think the recording that I got was pretty solid. Will post here soon.

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 09:21:03 AM »
Thanks for the investigative work - Shure seem to be good at responding to queries quickly and helpfully. 

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
So, another reason I like the MV88, is that it can be used as a decent backup - in case of something going wrong with the main setup. A ledge, or anywhere you can set it always works, but I also wanted a way of attaching my phone to the stand, and came up with this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-in-Metal-Spring-Clamp-012386/203752762

^ plus some velcro (wrapped around the handles of the clamp, and a strip on the back of the phone) and it's nicely secured to the stand, at whatever height you want it. I tried a few clamps, and this size seemed to work best for me in terms of being secure. The clamp & the velcro ran me about $4.

Side note, I've used it twice since my issue a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues. Making sure everything is updated in terms of apps / software + having space available seems like the trick to me.

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
I'm a novice taper and just picked up the MV88. I'm hoping to take it for a spin tomorrow. Do you guys just use the raw mid side mode when taping? It seems to me that the Stereo mode is just a mid side recording with the stereo image baked into source material. I'd rather have the flexibility of doing it myself in later in Audacity. Thanks,
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
I know I didn’t record raw m/s.  Def Leppard and Journey at the Gorge.  Pretty good sound actually. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.212 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com