Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices all in one box  (Read 18152 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Sound Devices all in one box
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2003, 12:03:33 PM »
Looks to me like you're stuck with the onboard pre and a/d, is this accurate? If so, that kinda sucks, based on my experience with SD products. Can't address the a/d, but I was less than satisfied with the mp-2 preamp. Not bad, just nothing I'd want to run all the time. Imo.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 12:08:50 PM »
no, it has digi i/o

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 01:47:19 PM »
anybody know if the 4 channel unit can take 2 digi ins at the same time?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2003, 07:08:34 PM »
I seriously doubt it.  I don't know about spending 2 grand on a unit which I would probably not use most of the features.  Doesn't really seem logical, especially considering those fujitsu lappy's are the same price, can be powered realitively inexspensively, and are about the same size, if not smaller.  My 3.2 cents for the day

D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2003, 07:18:56 PM »
strip it down

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2003, 08:29:31 PM »
I seriously doubt it.  I don't know about spending 2 grand on a unit which I would probably not use most of the features.  Doesn't really seem logical, especially considering those fujitsu lappy's are the same price, can be powered realitively inexspensively, and are about the same size, if not smaller.  My 3.2 cents for the day

D

look at all the features on a dap1 people never used....

one advantage to this is not having to deal with tweaking a computer until it records flawlessly... that's a real Pain In the Ass for a lot of people

also this is built to be used in the field, a lappy certainly is not
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2003, 09:08:54 PM »

one advantage to this is not having to deal with tweaking a computer until it records flawlessly... that's a real Pain In the Ass for a lot of people

its kinda funny that the msrp for the dap1 and sd722 are both 2k and people didn't / don't have a problem buying the dap1 and using it strictly as a recorder but have a problem justifying it w/ the sd722.  i'd be willing to bet that the sd722 ends up retailing in the 1300 - 1500 dollar range which doesn't seem all that unreasonable even if you use it only as a recorder.  just my .02

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2003, 04:09:50 AM »

its kinda funny that the msrp for the dap1 and sd722 are both 2k and people didn't / don't have a problem buying the dap1 and using it strictly as a recorder but have a problem justifying it w/ the sd722.  i'd be willing to bet that the sd722 ends up retailing in the 1300 - 1500 dollar range which doesn't seem all that unreasonable even if you use it only as a recorder.  just my .02

i agree....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2003, 09:49:26 AM »
Or the Sony D-10 or HHb PDR-1000.  Both of those units cost more than the SD722.  The D-10 has fewer practical features as well-like no preamp...  but it does have that nice built in speaker and those really cool proprietary multi-pin cables...::)  Still, the better comparison would be to the pdr-1000, which actually has a decent preamp and a/d converter, imo.  At least some of the old Ethan Lee tapes lead me to believe that...  

The biggest advantage of the SD722 in my mind is field durability.  A laptop monitor and exposed keyboard comes to mind as potential problem areas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:51:02 AM by wboswell »

marc0789

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2003, 02:26:19 PM »
1500 or so seems very reasonable, even a little more, to not have to fuck with dds tapes, misloads, misread "a time", not to mention paying for media. If it turns out to be a reliable unit that will capture a w/s no problem, and I can turn around and drop to cdr and/or dat. However, therein is the problem. What's the long term archive/storage media that is also 24 bit? Sure as hell not the computer h/d, not dvd-r because of durability issues, not cdr because it's 16, and if you wind up deciding that dat or dds is STILL the most reliable of a shaky field of archival options, wtf is the point? Until a stable 24 bit archival option arrives, think I'll stick with the portadat. Plus, used portable dat decks are going to get awfully cheap.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2003, 02:45:22 PM »
Computer HD + DVD backup is pretty damn good for 24-bit. Sharing your sources helps tons - it's saved my ass before.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2003, 02:56:19 PM »
Idiot here...  surely there is a way to use an external HD to back everything up using your desktop or laptop as a bus to transport the data?  Then just buy a new hard drive when you fill one up with 24 bit flac files?  Is it as simple as a computer just daisy chain?

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2003, 07:58:03 PM »
it is as simple as more hard drive space.  it is as simple as flac'ing your 24bit tracks and archiving them onto cd (albeit it takes 3-4 of them).  it is as simple as archiving onto dvd.  marc, why aren't any of these as viable as DAT tape to you?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2003, 03:00:50 AM »
as long as you get high quality dvd/cd media, i would trust any sort of optical storage device (cd/dvd) much more than a magnetic storage device (dat, hard drive).  the TY discs have a guaranteed archival life of 70 years i believe and i think those gold kodak discs have an archival life of over 100 years, not sure if they make the kodaks anymore, they used to be $1/disc.  i don't understand why you wouldn't trust optical storage devices, especially with how far they have come in the past few years.

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2003, 10:40:57 AM »
I back up all my 24 bit recordings onto DVD+R ;D  But I also leave the files FLAC'd on my HDDs'. I feel better knowing I have the original/clone files on a hard drive, and the DVD back-up.
 On another note, can someone point me to a post that explains how to track 24 bit files, then FLAC? Right now, I'm only FLAC ing the shows un-tracked, and I want to share these without having them be a problem for everyone.
 Thanks,

Happy Thanksgiving
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com