Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT2496: Recording time cut in half using S/PDIF?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
MT2496: Recording time cut in half using S/PDIF?
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
I just noticed this and I'm not really sure if it's been covered or what the explanation is.

If I record onto a 1GB CF card using the 1/4" TRS inputs, I can record for over an hour and a half.  If I switch the input to S/PDIF I only get about 45 minutes of record time.

What is the deal?

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MT2496: Recording time cut in half using S/PDIF?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:00:34 PM »
What bitrate/khz setting are using? Are you using the same for both?
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:03:02 PM »
What bitrate/khz setting are using? Are you using the same for both?

I don't change a thing regarding bitrate and sample.  All I do is switch from TRS to S/PDIF and the recording time halves itself.  Firmware is 1.2.3.

EDIT:  When I switch to S/PDIF it also won't let me change the sample rate, only the bit depth.  The sample rate is stuck on "auto".

cmoorevt

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »
I've never had this specific problem, but are you doing the switch without powering off the deck?  That might make a difference.

The sample rate when using the spdif in is always on Auto. It detects whatever you are sending it.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:07:12 PM »
Are you using 16/44.1? The first TRS seems like the setting would be that, while the S/PDIF seems like it would be 24/44.1 or 48.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:10:22 PM »
I've never had this specific problem, but are you doing the switch without powering off the deck?  That might make a difference.

The sample rate when using the spdif in is always on Auto. It detects whatever you are sending it.

I tried switching it and then cycling the power but it didn't change anything.

Are you using 16/44.1? The first TRS seems like the setting would be that, while the S/PDIF seems like it would be 24/44.1 or 48.

When it's on TRS I have it set to 16/44.1 and when I switch it to S/PDIF the bitrate is set to 16 and the sample rate is auto.  I will be sending it 44.1 from the UA-5 though.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »
One last thing, check the adv switch on the back of the ua-5. Is it off? I am guessing that this isn't the problem to your time reading, but I just wanted to try something.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »
One last thing, check the adv switch on the back of the ua-5. Is it off? I am guessing that this isn't the problem to your time reading, but I just wanted to try something.

No it's set to "off" and the sample rate is set to 44.1

I just did a test record with my UA-5 and the MT won't even record S/PDIF for some reason.  If I set it to use S/PDIF and go to record the timer doesn't count down and no file is created when I stop the recording (even though it says "writing file").  I switched it to TRS and it recorded fine.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 03:28:11 PM by mojomonkee »

cmoorevt

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
Where are you reading that you have 1/2 the recording time with spdif as you would when using 1/4"?

Reason I ask is because if I go into the Record Settings and choose 1/4"/16/48,and then, still within Record Settings, scroll down to Rec Time Available,  I have 03:01:50 total time on media, with a 2GB card. 

If I choose spdif/16/AUTO, then check Rec Time Remaining, I have 1:30:38 total time on media.

HOWEVER, if I leave it set to spdif/16/AUTO, then plug in a coax cable into the spdif input, send it a 48k signal, and start recording, I am told on the main recording screen that I have 2:53:11 time remaining on a 2GB card.

If I set it to 1/4"/16/48 then plug 1/4" TRS cables in, and start recording, I am told on the main recording screen that I have 2:53:36 time remaining on a 2GB card.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 03:36:48 PM »
Yeah now I realize that the  "file recording" screen will tell me how much time I have (it's telling me 1:37 using S/PDIF) so that isn't an issue anymore.

Now I'm trying to figure out why I can't get the MT to actually record a file over S/PDIF.

Anyone have any ideas? I recorded a show earlier this month over S/PDIF just fine and I haven't changed any of the equipment.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 03:49:02 PM by mojomonkee »

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »
I just re-flashed the firmware (same 1.2.3 version since it can't get any newer) and it still won't start recording while using S/PDIF.  I went to the store and got a nice S/PDIF coax cable thinking it might be the cable I'm using but the connector is too fat to fit in the MT's S/PDIF input (thought I'm pretty sure the cable I'm using is fine since it worked a few weeks ago and I haven't used it since).

At this point, I know I can use the TRS outputs from the UA-5 and run them into the MT's TRS inputs but I'd really like to be able to use the UA-5's ADC.  Also, if this is the future of my MT I'm going to have to get it replaced by M-Audio for sure.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to why the S/PDIF connection on my MT magically stopped working?

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
Not to sound like a dumb question or anything, but are hooking up your mics and ua-5 and making noises/having some type of sound go into them when you are trying out the mt? I know that I read somewhere that the mt won't even start recording via s/pdif unless there is a signal. Only thing I can come up with.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »
Not to sound like a dumb question or anything, but are hooking up your mics and ua-5 and making noises/having some type of sound go into them when you are trying out the mt? I know that I read somewhere that the mt won't even start recording via s/pdif unless there is a signal. Only thing I can come up with.

I actually had been playing music and trying to record it, but not at a high SPL.  I just blasted Death Cab For Cutie (and probably got the cops called on me for it) but the S/PDIF recording started when the music kicked in.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's not like I hadn't been using music to test the device but I just didn't think about cranking up the music so loud for it to "register".  I'll put this S/PDIF "quirk" in my notes that I keep in my feeble brain.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 09:24:19 PM »
You don't need to crank up the volume, just have some type of sound. Sorry this is not working for you. Hope you figure it out.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »
You don't need to crank up the volume, just have some type of sound. Sorry this is not working for you. Hope you figure it out.

No it works but I had to crank up the volume.  The mics just weren't picking up the sound of regular music.  The levels started bouncing once I turned up the speakers loud enough.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com