Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TEAM Marantz PMD 660 (Part II)  (Read 102428 times)

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Marantz PMD 660 (Part II)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »
Text of e-mail re: busman mod of pmd660

It will disable the line inputs but bring the gain level down  on the XLRs so you can use it for SBDs or mics.
The op amps are changed out and input capacitors are changed for better ones and then I run bypass caps there too to help with noise and to give better detail and speed.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:14:08 PM by pmonk66 »

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
So I ran the 660 (Oade BCM) last night again.  Quite pleased with its ability to handle dense and voluminous rock music (Roger Waters) without any clipping, brickwalling or muddiness.

The problem was the flash card.  I got a "CARD FULL" message about 30 minutes before expected and when I got home the card had only used 1.48GB.  A real bummer, but a lesson learned (change flash cards at set break, always bring 2 with you!). 

The question becomes what caused it.  This was a 2GB Kingston Flash card, purchased from a Hong Kong ebay dealer at a very nice price.  My inclination is that its a defective card, but a friend suggested that it might be a formatting issue. 

I did not re-format the card since my last use (I know--30 lashes).  I have used SanDisk cards in my Microtrack many many times, and never reformatted after the last use.  Is the 660 finicky about cards, does it require a strict re-format policy, or am I right about the card.  I guess time and experimenting will tell.

Another semi-unrelated question.  If I use a Sandisk card that has been exclusively used with the Microtrack, and I insert it in the 660 (and format it!), will it work just fine?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »
you should have no problem with the sandisk from the microtrack, just format it ;). i always ran sandisk in my acm660. you might have gotten a bunk card, it may have just needed a formatting. you will figure that out with some testing. thanks again for that GREAT 9/06 show you posted. +T
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »
I, off and on, reformat my card for the 660 but that is the only thing I use them on. I will erase tracks and record with no problems. I did reformat each card when I first used them though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:58:07 AM by tfs8271 »
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
If anyone cares, I just popped a Sandisk Extreme III 16gb CF card into mine and did a few test recordings (just a few seconds each in different formats).  Worked fine.  I haven't done any longer recordings yet so don't know what will happen past the 2GB mark or whatever.  But it claims to have 284 hours(!) available for stereo mp3 recording, or 25 hours for stereo 44.1 khz WAV. 

Any further progress with this card?  I have an Extreme III 4GB and it works well. Was always told to not go above and beyond 4GB, as it might cause errors. What is the latest and greatest?

Anyone else get their PMD660 modded by Busman?

Offline Keyser Soze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to look more into that mod!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 11:34:48 PM »
Get the Busman Mod. I just got mine back and there is a noticeable difference. Especially in the Preamps. Before I was forced to run at -20 attenuation and now I can run it wide open. Found that the level meters are more accurate and there is less hiss now. Busman got it back to me pretty quickly. I can't wait to record more music with it. Now I just need to figure out how I can record a whole day worth of music with one power source. Anyone used and external battery pack with success?

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 09:24:46 AM »
Now I just need to figure out how I can record a whole day worth of music with one power source. Anyone used and external battery pack with success?

http://www.batterybarn.com/pr2310.htm

Works great for 660 & my R4.......little pricey.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Keyser Soze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
Get the Busman Mod. I just got mine back and there is a noticeable difference. Especially in the Preamps. Before I was forced to run at -20 attenuation and now I can run it wide open. Found that the level meters are more accurate and there is less hiss now. Busman got it back to me pretty quickly. I can't wait to record more music with it. Now I just need to figure out how I can record a whole day worth of music with one power source. Anyone used and external battery pack with success?

Does anyone know how the Busman Mod compares to the OADE WCM?   I was leaning toward the WCM due to the fact I'll be running an AT stealth setup most of the time.  I also have some Oade omnis, but I don't want to factor those into whatever decision I make that much.

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »

Is that the busman mod compared to the Oade ACM?
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »
FWIW, just sent mine off to Chris (AKA Busman).  Will report my thoughts when I get it back.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »
I had a family member hook me up with a loan to buy a 660 for some upcomming festival action... ;D

I got the Song Catcher Mod (Oade SCM Marantz PMD660)

Doug mentioned that it is very close to the ACM in sound.  It has an upgraded line-in and will work great for amplified or acoustic stuff.  The unit should be in my hands tomorrow.  I am very excited!

I have a sandisc Ultra II 4GB, and a Lexar Pro 133x 4GB.  I assume both of these will work.  I also have a Kingston 2GB SD card that I am going to try with a SD->CF convertor.  I plan on using Energizer 2500 rechargables. 

I am amazed that this thing can do EVERYTHING (pre/AD/recorder) in such a small size.
The only thing I wish it could do is record from the line-in and the mic-in at the same time like the UA5....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 01:02:57 PM »
Well do to some $$ constraints I canceled the hd-p2 I had on order and picked up an ACM 660 instead.  Should be in hand next week.  I think it will sound mighty tasty with the Peluso CEMC6 pair I just ordered! 

Woot for new gear!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »

The above is a huge difference over the Oade version, IMO.  I don't know if Doug's version can do that now, but I owned his first modded 660, and you had to run the -20 pad.  I'd love to see the results of the Busman 660, attenuation at 0, for a heavy bass show.  That would be a major plus over the Oade mod if it can't brickwall.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:57:50 PM by spyder9 »

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »

The above is a huge difference over the Oade version, IMO.  I don't know if Doug's version can do that now, but I owned his first modded 660, and you had to run the -20 pad.  I'd love to see the results of the Busman 660, attenuation at 0, for a heavy bass show.  That would be a major plus over the Oade mod if it can't brickwall.

I have the BCM, and I need to use the -20dB pad.  My BCM was purchased about 2 months ago.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com