Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using an integrated amp as a preamp only...  (Read 4211 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Using an integrated amp as a preamp only...
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »
Hey guys, thanks in advance for assistance with this.  I have an integrated amp on its way, and I figure at some point I'm going to want to use it as a preamp in combination with a power amp, connecting the power amp to the integrated using the pre-outs.   However, I would have speaker posts on the integrated then going unused, which is obviously harmful to the integrated amp.  So, my question, do I plug one of these into each speaker output or something?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062288&cp=2032058.2032230.2032267&pg=2&cp=2032058.2032230&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032267&categoryId=2032267&kw=resistors&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

If not, is it possible to do what I am considering?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Using an integrated amp as a preamp only...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:14:44 PM »
People use receivers as preamps all the time.  I've never heard it being harmful, please explain.  However, in most cases the preouts on recievers and integrated amps are not as clean (more noise) than dedicated preamps.  This is at least been my experience and a few others I've talked to.

sc

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »
hmmm.... I guess what I'm worried about is having the integrated amp turned on with no speakers connected.  Isn't that a really bad thing?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:46:43 PM »
Not in my experience. There should be an output impedence on each channel, so the amplifier section still "sees" a load.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 12:53:53 PM »
Matt, just to make sure I'm clear, are you saying that when the power amp gets hooked up via the pre-outs, the speaker terminals on the integrated don't need resistors?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:00:15 PM »
Pretty much. Check the manual to be sure. Most receivers/integrateds have a section dealing with the pre out. Alternatively, you could look at the specs and see if there's an impedance listed.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:28:07 PM »
thanks +Ts

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com