Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)  (Read 107388 times)

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:20 PM »
FWIW I got mine from newitemsonly on ebay for $415 shipped.  It was brand new, unopened and I have had no problems with it.  I also got a 4 gig CF card (transcend 133x) for about $30 shipped from newegg.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #361 on: February 10, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
FWIW I got mine from newitemsonly on ebay for $415 shipped.  It was brand new, unopened and I have had no problems with it.  I also got a 4 gig CF card (transcend 133x) for about $30 shipped from newegg.
drewski
thanx
for the info...
I noticed that new items only
does not always stock this unit...
peace

limiter use anyone?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline homer420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
Howdy folks.  Wanted to share my first recording w/ my new (stock) FR-2LE ....

http://www.archive.org/details/bhtm2008-01-22.mbho.flac16
http://www.archive.org/details/bhtm2008-01-22.mbho.flac24

I have to say I'm very pleased w/ how it turned out.  No problems w/ going 24/28 to an A-Data 4GB "speedy" CF card .....

Source: MBHO 603/KA200N's -> HYDRA cables -> FR-2LE (24/48)
Lineage: normalized, dithered and split via audacity

Enjoy!
MBHO 603/KA200N's -> furtooli

Offline loud noises

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
Fostex has released a firmware update, version 1.10.  Read about it here
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/pro_support/FR2LE_V110_supplement.pdf

The update adds 3 new features.
-Mono recording is now possible (except when recording 192K MP3)
-Info about manufacturer and serial number of the Compactflash card is available
-Metering can be set to peak or continuous.

No word about what bug fixes might be contained in the release.

Flintstone

Nice!
They told me that I was the first to ask for a change in the front-panel metering...Glad they ended up doing it.  At least now you have the choice!  Mono recording is a no brainer also.

I don't think any bugs have been found, just little tweaks like this that make it more user-friendly.

"-Metering can be set to peak or continuous."

Can you please explain to me the what this means?
Busman Audio BSC1's>The Big Green Fatty>FR2-LE [oade t-mod]

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

This setting applies to the meters on the side, and not the top (the top meters are always continuous).

Peak Setting =  The meters on the side will display where your peaks are hitting, and do not depict what your levels are doing on an instant basis  (i.e. does not depict quick changes on the levels, but more of an 'average' of where your peaks are).

Continuous Setting = The meters on the side will display exactly what the levels are doing at any given moment  (i.e. depicts exactly what the signal being fed to the recorder looks like at any given moment).

I don't know of anyone that prefers the Peak Setting for live recording, FWIW.  If so, maybe they will speak up.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

This setting applies to the meters on the side, and not the top (the top meters are always continuous).

Peak Setting =  The meters on the side will display where your peaks are hitting, and do not depict what your levels are doing on an instant basis  (i.e. does not depict quick changes on the levels, but more of an 'average' of where your peaks are).

Continuous Setting = The meters on the side will display exactly what the levels are doing at any given moment  (i.e. depicts exactly what the signal being fed to the recorder looks like at any given moment).

I don't know of anyone that prefers the Peak Setting for live recording, FWIW.  If so, maybe they will speak up.

Does the "peak" setting give the peak all the time, or just at selected intervals.  If it gives peak all the time (just slow to go down again), that is what I'm looking for.  I used it the other night.  Cool that I could just look over and see the peak levels.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2008, 01:54:42 PM »
the top meters are the way to go for anything exact
the side rather you are on peak or (whats actually called, in the manual) level only show -24/12/6/3/over
so you could be at -4 for example and only the -6 will light up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
Richard-
I believe peak displays the peaks at selected intervals, but I'm not positive since I've got my setting on continuous. (Edit:  I haven't used the peak setting enough to have an opinion.)

willndmb-
Good point about the side meters.  I have found that the side meters are not as accurate as the top meters (and yes, I have the side meters set to continuous).  Others have reported the same conclusion.  I have seen brief clipping on the top meters and the side meters did not indicate clipping.  I have found it best to keep the -6 lit up almost continuously on the side meters, and let the -3 only blink some.  I have always preferred to run my levels hot, and when I first got the FR2LE I thought running the way I described above to be too conservative.  The end result turns out great, however.  Basically, I'm trying to say that it is not hard to clip if you try to run hot by only looking at the side levels.  If you want to run hot & see the most accurate meters, better use the top.  Now that I can run 24 bit, I need to change my mindset on running hot levels anyway.
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline loud noises

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #368 on: March 06, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
the side rather you are on peak or (whats actually called, in the manual) level only show -24/12/6/3/over

Doesn't the update to 1.10 update make the side (and by side I take that as the top side when the unit is
on a surface with the main screen facing you) levels replicate the front screen levels and the actual
sound input when set to "Level"/or continuous as the term signifies...??  I shouldn't have to worry about the
main screen levels if I am running "level" with the 1.10 update; correct?
Busman Audio BSC1's>The Big Green Fatty>FR2-LE [oade t-mod]

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
For the most accurate levels, use the LCD screen, not the LEDs. The LEDs may be more convenient, especially when the LE is in a bag but they don't have the accuracy of the LCD screen. Once you are used to the results at various levels, you shouldn't have to check the meters very often anyway.

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

Doesn't the update to 1.10 update make the side (and by side I take that as the top side when the unit is
on a surface with the main screen facing you) levels replicate the front screen levels and the actual
sound input when set to "Level"/or continuous as the term signifies...??  I shouldn't have to worry about the
main screen levels if I am running "level" with the 1.10 update; correct?

Top = has the display screen depicting the main levels & where the menu buttons are located
Side = the narrow part where the secondary (side) levels are, as well as the trim knobs & level knobs

You are partially correct.  The update allows you to set the side levels to "level" (continuous) so that they behave like the top levels.  However, as willndmb pointed out, the side levels only have lights for -24/12/6/3/over.  You could be running at -4, and only -6 would be lit.  You could be running at -2 or -1 and only -3 would be lit (i.e. you would be running hotter than you think).  Also, as I previously stated, on my unit the side meters are not as accurate as the top meters (others have reported this as well, so I don't think it is just a quirk with my FR2LE).  

I suggest setting up in front of your stereo and watching the realtionship between the top meters & side meters.  I have seen clipping on the top meters that did not show up on the side meters.  As suggested, use the top meters for the most accurate adjustments or if you want to run really hot.  The best thing you can do is to learn how the side meters perform in relation to the top meters so you know how you want your side meters to look in the field when the FR2LE is sitting on its side in a gear bag and you are recording.  Running 'fairly conservative' on the side meters does not equate to actually running 'fairly conservative' on the top meters (at least on my recorder).  Not to be repetitive, but the top meters are dead accurate and the side meters are not (at least on my recorder).  Set up in front of the stereo and you should be able to see what I mean.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
We've passed page 25 now. That's the limit here, so please post anything FR2LE related to the Team FR2LE thread here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92774.0.html

Whoever started this thread...please lock her up.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com