Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To share or not share a show- Opinions?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
To share or not share a show- Opinions?
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
Taped Snarky Puppy in NOLA last night. Fantastic show as always.

That said, I'm conflicted as to whether to post the show. I emailed the band prior; Mike responded almost immediately, saying it was fine.

When I made it to the show, I was asked by both the club and someone with the band's management to shut it down. They allowed me to tape after I showed the email, but I could tell they (management) weren't completely comfortable with it (though very nice about it).

I think the issue may not have been with taping as much as sharing the recording- the band is staying in NOLA to record the next album, and they played a lot of new material that hasn't seen the light of day.

So what do you think? I had the OK to tape from the band. Management didn't tell flat out tell me "do not post this show," but I can tell they had some reservations about leaking new material...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:45:04 AM by TonyBono »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: To share or not share a show- Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
If I was in the same situation I would delay circulation until a month or two after the album is released as a courtesy to the band (read management). Doing so may allow recording in the future whereas uping it now may give management more ammo to deny all recording from here on out.

You could also send a note to the band (CCing management) thanking them for allowing you to record and then stating that due to the amount of new material you are somewhat hesitant to circulate it until after the album ships. Since you say
Management didn't tell flat out tell me "do not post this show," but I can tell they had some reservations about leaking new material...
and you're already conflicted about doing so I say follow your gut instinct and hold off. It's the courteous thing to do.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
Wait until the new album is released...

If the tape came out good, send them a copy...  Maybe they'll add it on the new album as a bonus disc or something...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
This is a hard one.  Seeing that you had permission to record for yourself and that new material was performed, I would generally shy away from sharing the recording for the reason of the latter.  Once the new album is recorded and released, I don't see what the big deal would be.   

Of course, this is moot if the management and/or band are okay with it being shared.  Personally, I wouldn't want to piss anyone off for risk of a) not being able to record them again and, more importantly, b) others not being allowed to record in the future.

That's just my $0.02.  [of course, two responses were posted while I was typing this].  :)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
If I was in the same situation I would delay circulation until a month or two after the album is released as a courtesy to the band (read management). Doing so may allow recording in the future whereas uping it now may give management more ammo to deny all recording from here on out.

You could also send a note to the band (CCing management) thanking them for allowing you to record and then stating that due to the amount of new material you are somewhat hesitant to circulate it until after the album ships. Since you say
Management didn't tell flat out tell me "do not post this show," but I can tell they had some reservations about leaking new material...
and you're already conflicted about doing so I say follow your gut instinct and hold off. It's the courteous thing to do.

All of this.

If the tape came out good, send them a copy...  Maybe they'll add it on the new album as a bonus disc or something...

Yeah, make sure they get a copy soon, but otherwise sit on it for a while. No harm in that.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Generally I'd say band trumps management.  I agree with emailing the band themselves, relaying the situation, and asking what they want to do.

If the band just forwards it to management and management says no, then fine. If the band says "We don't really care, go for it" then as far as I'm concerned their word is final. The band is paying that manager's salary, not the other way around.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
I have recorded a local band a couple times that doesn't want me sharing the recordings.  They want to be the ones to distribute but also concerned because they will play newer songs that have not been release yet.  The main band member always seem to be worried about the rights to the unreleased songs.

I wouldn't share the recording. Email them again asking and a private link to the recording.  They may be interested in hearing how the new songs worked or sounded like.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:05:55 AM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
Why not explicitly ask them?  What we say should have no bearing if they come out and say they would appreciate you sitting on it, or conversely, if they say go ahead and share it.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
that reminds me, I have an Indigo Girls show that I was holding for the same reason ..... from two years ago.   :facepalm:
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
I would ask whoever gave permission. What's confusion is when a band(like this one) is on archive but there's no restrictions. Their archive.org page should really indicate if you aren't supposed to upload new material. If you got the vibe it wasn't OK, I would clarify that first. I've got a ton of recordings that I'm sitting on until I get permission to share.

sit on it for a while. No harm in that.

... So long as it's backed up redundantly. Again, I have plenty of recordings that aren't on torrent sites or archive. But they are backed up on different media in different locations. We spend too much $$$ on recording and going to shows to lose the recordings.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:17 AM »

All of this.

Yeah, make sure they get a copy soon, but otherwise sit on it for a while. No harm in that.

Gotta reiterate...

Hold off if you feel weird.  At least wait until the new CD comes out.  Definitely send the band a copy ASAP. 

The trick is to make everyone, band and management, feel comfortable allowing taping.  If they feel that they have control over the material, they will have no real issue with taping.  That makes it easier for you and others in the future.

Holding onto the tape and not seeding for however long is no sweat off your back, isn't it??? 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
I understand the "hold off" arguments but I must say I agree with this post the most:

Generally I'd say band trumps management.  I agree with emailing the band themselves, relaying the situation, and asking what they want to do.

If the band just forwards it to management and management says no, then fine. If the band says "We don't really care, go for it" then as far as I'm concerned their word is final. The band is paying that manager's salary, not the other way around.

If the band is OK with you sharing it even containing new songs, then go for it - no matter how the mgmt behaved during the show. Lots of small but also huge worlwide famous bands have played unreleased material or songs from an upcoming album... And those songs were even taped and broadcast worldwide, so I guess the band's word should be final. Email the band, and maybe attach a sample of the recording so they know what to expect.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »

The trick is to make everyone, band and management, feel comfortable allowing taping. 

Don't forget the venue too.  Some venues can (and will) quash open recording regardless of any other permission.  If they have a bad experience as a result of begrudgingly allowing one they won't allow any more. 

Your read of some concern is important, as that read had to be founded on something. 

The mode of distro is also a primary issue.  Posting to a big torrent site (though I do that myself from time to time) is feeding the bootlegger/blogger machine and at the very least putting it into a Google search.  If it is a band that has any (and I mean ANY) commercial appeal/potential and there is some concern on the part of anyone in the chain of command nothing will hurt future opportunities faster than the recording being splashed all over Google searches, or worse turned into unauthorized product.  If they have any commercial appeal and there is unreleased material involved then dollars to donuts some clown/s will be trying to sell it on the internet the same day it is posted elsewhere on the internet. 

While I agree with the principle of sharing I'm always careful and rarely provide anonymous opportunities for anything that has any tinge of concern I'm aware of with rights holders. 

If the concern is new material I'd wait until it's not new, though maybe send some files to friends who are discrete if you really need to share it now. 

If the concern is the venue and you are likely to be a regular there then you probably won't want to post it far and wide. 

On the management vs. band issue making recording or the distribution of recordings a wedge between them is not fair to the band, esp. if they're in the middle of things they really need to focus on. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:52:52 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
The venue is definitely not the issue- the GM was so impressed by the opener that he asked me if I ran tape on them after they wrapped up.

It's more the band management- I've taped quite a few bands that were playing new material and don't mind tapers/posting (practically every time MMW comes to town). Given managements concerns, I'll play it safe and hold into this one for a while before releasing it- don't wanna ruffle any feathers and have them change their policy as a result.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:27:54 PM by TonyBono »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com