Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So I got a Microtrack II, what now?  (Read 5401 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: So I got a Microtrack II, what now?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
The best cable for the ST-9100 into the MTII can be bought here:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MINI-TRS-1
Be sure to select MTII in middle drop down box.

It is the best cable because it solves the much discussed "sprinkler noise" problem when going unbalanced to line in. With it, you will be able to use the gain from the MTII as well as from the ST-9100 should you ever need to.
Sound Pro's will ship within a week.

I believe Chris Church may guarantee you delivery before January 16. It may or may not cost an extra $20-$30.
Send him an email if you can't PM. With 4 weeks to go, he may do it at no extra charge. He's very good at customer relations even though his normal shipping times can be lengthy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:16:36 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline beatthediese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks for the info, i finally got a PM to go through so hopefully I'll be hearing from him soon.

so 1/8 to 1/8 makes a 'sprinkler' noise? that's weird. i'll have to pick up that cable for sure if that's the case.

Offline beatthediese

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »
i hate to ask yet another question but I'd just like to make sure I have all of this correct.

with this cable, i'm now going 1/8 to dual 1/4 inch and now I need to make sure I turn the phantom power on the microtrack off? wouldn't it be off anyway if I'm using the pres that power the mics?

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
i hate to ask yet another question but I'd just like to make sure I have all of this correct.

with this cable, i'm now going 1/8 to dual 1/4 inch and now I need to make sure I turn the phantom power on the microtrack off? wouldn't it be off anyway if I'm using the pres that power the mics?

Not necessarily.  You want it off, make sure the switch is in the off position because if it's on you will be putting power to a signal that already has power from the pre and you just want to pass the audio signal into the MT.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »
1/8 to 1/8 doesn't make the sprinkler noise, but you don't want to go mic in with a preamp. Only the mic in is 1/8 on the MT. You need the cable I mentioned to go line in to the MTII without the "sprinkler noise".

However if the MTII's mic in provides 5 volts of plug in power (like I know the MT 24/96 does) Chris Church may say that for your application you could skip the preamp/battery box entirely and simply go mic in with your Church Audio mic. Chris has said that 5 volts powers his mics just as well as 9 volts. Ask him if interested in this option.

If using the Sound Pro's cable to line in, phantom power must be off or you'll fry the mics.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:18:22 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 06:45:58 PM »
The MT is gonna blow you away!

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »
Your username sounds familar. However, I think you will be good with that setup. It is what I started with and still have, except I had/ have the MT1. Now go and record Local H, haa I knew I would figure it out where your from. Cool another H taper. Have fun and oh, you will have to leave your wallet at the door.  ;D
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

nameloc01

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
-Get cardiods.
-Use a battery box or a power supplying preamp.
-Do not plug into "mic in"...use the "line in".
-Turn the "phantom power" off.
-Set your levels correctly.
-use good,fresh batteries.
-rock n' roll.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
It seems like most people are suggesting micro mics.

The MTII provides 48v phantom on its 1/4" TRS inputs, so you could look at full size condensers.  Someone has a pair of Audio-Technica AT4041's in the yardsale for $300.  The AT4041's are nice mics, I used them for awhile and made many fine tapes using them.

You could also get a pair of Avant/Avantone ck-1 mics.  The cardioid only are about $200/pair, and the 3-capsule version with cards, hypers, and omnis are about $300 a pair.  Also Studio Projects c4's are in the budget range as well.

Besides mic stand, cables, t-mount, you could just run condenser mics straight into the MTII, and then upgrade to an external mic preamp later if/when you decide to put more money into your rig.  Esp since you have a louder band, I don't think some of the noise problems people are concerned about going mic in on the MTII would be too much of a concern.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline itsoktodoubt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
Man guys, thanks for all of the fast responses! I live about 45 min North East of Dallas, Tx in a town called Greenville, and that is where the show will take place.

I'm assuming this is Adam from Melba Toast.  I'm Scott.  Taped your show opening for Mudhoney at Granada. 
"Make that Black Record.  Roll the tapes all night long.  Make that Black Record and we'll all sing along." - Magnolia Electric Co.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »
It seems like most people are suggesting micro mics.

The MTII provides 48v phantom on its 1/4" TRS inputs, so you could look at full size condensers.  Someone has a pair of Audio-Technica AT4041's in the yardsale for $300.  The AT4041's are nice mics, I used them for awhile and made many fine tapes using them.

You could also get a pair of Avant/Avantone ck-1 mics.  The cardioid only are about $200/pair, and the 3-capsule version with cards, hypers, and omnis are about $300 a pair.  Also Studio Projects c4's are in the budget range as well.

Besides mic stand, cables, t-mount, you could just run condenser mics straight into the MTII, and then upgrade to an external mic preamp later if/when you decide to put more money into your rig.  Esp since you have a louder band, I don't think some of the noise problems people are concerned about going mic in on the MTII would be too much of a concern.

I second this idea of full sized mics.  Don't forget about Nak300's in the yardsale for $150 too.  They don't put out a hot signal, and maybe running without a pre will be a tad noisy, but if you are loud and close I expect it will be fine.

That said, if you have your heart set on small mics, I have a Church Audio 9100 preamp collecting dust that I could let you borrow for that event, but you would have to find mics elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:05:01 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 07:30:32 PM »
I have the Naks and a set of CA11s in the YS, both priced to move.  I am going on vacation tomorrow for a week, but will return in plenty of time to ship a set if you are interested.  Check my signature.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com