Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie with new equipment (Olympus LS-10)  (Read 7959 times)

Offline placenta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Newbie with new equipment (Olympus LS-10)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
1. Yes, the 'plug-in' power of the LS-10 won't be enough to power those mics.  You will need a battery box (Sound Pro sells them) or a small preamp like the Church Audio 9100 preamp (see the retail subforum here).

2. Well, it could be called a "stealth microphone" since it is small and easily "stealthable." 

3. Check out the retail subforum, you may want to consider the Church Audio mics (CA-11 or CA-14) and preamps (9100 or the stealth preamp 'ugly') as they are affordable and good quality according to those who use them.  You can also consider the microphone madness mics (HLSC-1) as well.

I am SO grateful for all of your advice and input in my search for knowledge on this!

Are there any of the so called "stealth-microphones" that would work fine without having the extra battery box or a preamp attached to it?

I'll take a closer look at the mics and preamps you mention - in the retail subforum. Thanks!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
Perhaps Chris Church will chime in, but I believe that some of his mics can be powered by plugin power of the ls10, maybe the tiny CMFS OMNI mics, which could be called stealth mics.  I would ask him on one of his retail forum threads or email him.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 03:22:01 AM »
Are there any of the so called "stealth-microphones" that would work fine without having the extra battery box or a preamp attached to it?

Specs say 3V, which is a bit on the low side:
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/recorders/ls10/index.html

You will get sound, but it won't be optimal. Then again, a bbox (Church tiny 9V) is only $30 or so. And size in negligible.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »

Yes! I believe Chris Church can make his CA-14 mics (and possible CA-11's) with a different resistor so they can be perfectly powered by 3 volts plug in power. Shoot him a PM.

Only downside is that they will not be optimally powered by a battery box if you want to go line in.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline placenta

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
Thank you all for great advices! I´m pretty sure that I´ll follow some of your tips, and have contacted the right guy in terms of the CA-14 that are mentioned in the thread. Just have to wait for payday first :)

Just out of curiosity: how good are the internal microphones of the LS-10? (not necessarily compared to the equipment mentioned in the thread, but on a general basis).

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
Thank you all for great advices! I´m pretty sure that I´ll follow some of your tips, and have contacted the right guy in terms of the CA-14 that are mentioned in the thread. Just have to wait for payday first :)

Just out of curiosity: how good are the internal microphones of the LS-10? (not necessarily compared to the equipment mentioned in the thread, but on a general basis).
In general, I find internal mics to be decent, but not great. My R-09 sounds good if I use it close up on acoustic music, but as soon as you get into a situation with loudness or distance, it goes to shit.

edit-internal mics get too much shit on these boards, imo. they're perfectly workable in a lot of situations
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »

Not good for recording concerts. I downloaded a classical sample and hated it. Chris Church once posted that the LS-10's internals make the Tascam DR-7's sound like a Neumann.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com