Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/96 of a 1974 master analog?  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
24/96 of a 1974 master analog?
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »
Someone on Dime asked if the seeder would post a 24/96 of a 1974 master he has.  That's fairly pointless is it not seeing as the master tape was not recorded in 24/96?

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 24/96 of a 1974 master analog?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
It depends. A good analog tape can have both a large dynamic and frequency range which can benefit from a bit more than the standard 44.1/16. Depending on the operator doing the transfer I believe the 24 bits is recommended.

It also depends on the AD converter as some of them does not quite deliver what you expect and can sound decidedly different on different sampling rates.

Gunnar

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
get over 16/44
served us well BUT SERVES US NO MORE.

all analogue masters need to move from 16/44

g

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
Someone on Dime asked if the seeder would post a 24/96 of a 1974 master he has.  That's fairly pointless is it not seeing as the master tape was not recorded in 24/96?

I'm with Gunnar and Moke on this.
Besides, the comparison you make between analog and digital is moot, since analog tapes are not recorded in bits...  :D
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
I'm fuzzy on how upsampling can insert meaningful information that was not there to begin with? I'm sure someone will enlighten me.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
I'm fuzzy on how upsampling can insert meaningful information that was not there to begin with? I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

It is not an up-sample

You are sampling for the first time.. analogue does not have a Bit depth or sample rate.... :-)

A :D
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »
as others have said it's not pointless at all.  as a matter of fact i'd transfer it at 24/192.  it's an analog source...might as well get as many samples per second as you can out of it! even if it is just a cassette

remember....when something is recorded on an analog medium, what's on the media IS the source.  when digital, it's just a "representation" of the source.

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »
What is the dynamic range of the cassette? I was thinking it's around 50dB but that's pretty much just a guess. I think the frequency response for tape is pretty high but the range is pretty low. If the range of magnetic tape is really around 50dB, then 24 bits would really be overkill IMO but you would still want a high sampling rate since the frequency response is so high.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »

Its about capturing the sound wave in a more naturally rounded form, rather than the stepped staircase, chopped up effect, that you get with 16bit audio.
Of course you're not adding anything to what wasn't there to begin with. You're trying to keep analog more like analog in the digital domain.

Isnt that more about sampling rate than bit depth...? (stepped staircase)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
So if this fellow does want to convert this over to digital, what would be the best way to do this?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »

It is not an up-sample

You are sampling for the first time.. analogue does not have a Bit depth or sample rate.... :-)

A :D
Thanks, i should have realized that. The analog source will be just like being at a show.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
So if this fellow does want to convert this over to digital, what would be the best way to do this?

Heres what Menke is doing..

MOTB Release: 0062 24/96
Release Date: 2008-03-07
Band: Grateful Dead
Date: 1979-11-25 (Sunday)
Venue: Pauley Pavilion - University of California
Analog Audience Source: Master Cassettes [FOB, 60' from stage] (MAC)
Medium Stock Brands: MAC = Maxell UD XL II
Analog Lineage: 2 x Nakamichi CM-700 => Sony TC-D5 >> MAC
Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi DR-8 => Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]
Taped By: Bob Menke
Transfer By: Bob Menke
Mastering By: Derek McCabe
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6