Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archiving master WAVs to FLAC?  (Read 5767 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
Re: Archiving master WAVs to FLAC?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 11:14:36 PM »
you've mentioned a couple of times the advantage of FFP's and md5's to verify, bit for bit, the integrity of FLAC files.  and that's definitely a good thing and should be done.  But there's nothing that says md5 checksums are exclusive to FLAC or SHN.   personally, I create an md5 checksum for all my "master" .WAV files before I burn to data DVD.  After they are burned, I verify the md5 and I know that the burned copy is identical, bit for bit.

That's true and point well taken, although FLAC and SHN files are data files and if I recall correctly from trying to understand the purpose and benefits of SHN over WAV in the early days of SHN, data files more readily handle copying, moving around in Windows etc. then do audio WAV files - perhaps I am mistaken about this but that was my recollection from when their purpose was first explained to me...back in the day when you had audio CDs and wanted to copy them, you had to extract the WAVs via EAC or similar extraction program (at least if you wanted to minimize errors you did it this way) to get them from CDR to HD, while SHN (and subsequently FLAC) files could be dragged and dropped in Windows Explorer.  Of course you could do this with WAV files as well but my understanding was they were more prone to having errors introduced doing this over when you properly extracted them, while it was much more of a non-issue with data files.  Someone much more in the know about such computer format issues should chime in here.  Basically, it was explained to me that the benefits of SHN/FLAC were three-fold - lossless compression (which was more of a big deal IMO back in the days before DVD-Rs and huge HDs), ffp/md5 (and yes you can create md5s for any files), and the fact that they were converted to data files instead of WAV audio format.   
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 01:34:23 AM »
I guess I have a different perspective on this - once you burn the wav file to DVD, transfer it to another HD or otherwise move or copy it, how do you confirm that this move/process occurred in such a way that the new file (yes, it's actually a new file now that you've moved it, copied it, burned it etc. - it is no longer the "master" WAV file once you move or alter it from the drive or card on which it was originally recorded) it a bit-for-bit accurate copy of the original file?  In the somewhat older days people when to extra lengths to use EAC to ensure that as WAV files were burned to discs and then extracted later that this was done without any uncertainty as to the integrity of the file as it is burned/extracted along the way.  Why would burning a master WAV to DVD and then at some point in the future pulling it back off that DVD for some sort of use be any different? 

When you convert your master WAV>FLAC, you get ffps (and if you choose to create them, MD5s as well) that you can use to verify that the file remains bit-for-bit accurate as it is burned to disc, pulled off the disc, copied to drives, transfered electronically etc.  Seems like most people take the ffps for granted these days and don't even bother to test them as files are copied/transfered, which is a mistake as that is the point.  Personally I could care less that FLAC compresses the files to save space - I use it for the certainty that the files remain true to the original source. 

I used to be paranoid and would back-up my 24 WAV files both as a FLAC on DVD and also just burn the WAV straight to DVD, until I realized it was pointless IMO and that down the road I would never use the WAV version - I would always use the FLAC version as I could run test the ffps, run the MD5s and know that the file had not been corrupted in anyway.
My main reason to burn the untouched wav files to DVD-R is for matrix and MS recordings but I still do them all. I figure I might be able to come up w/ a better mix or edit later from my self or some one else so I can easily access these files and mix or edit away.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »
you've mentioned a couple of times the advantage of FFP's and md5's to verify, bit for bit, the integrity of FLAC files.  and that's definitely a good thing and should be done.  But there's nothing that says md5 checksums are exclusive to FLAC or SHN.   personally, I create an md5 checksum for all my "master" .WAV files before I burn to data DVD.  After they are burned, I verify the md5 and I know that the burned copy is identical, bit for bit.

That's true and point well taken, although FLAC and SHN files are data files and if I recall correctly from trying to understand the purpose and benefits of SHN over WAV in the early days of SHN, data files more readily handle copying, moving around in Windows etc. then do audio WAV files - perhaps I am mistaken about this but that was my recollection from when their purpose was first explained to me...back in the day when you had audio CDs and wanted to copy them, you had to extract the WAVs via EAC or similar extraction program (at least if you wanted to minimize errors you did it this way) to get them from CDR to HD, while SHN (and subsequently FLAC) files could be dragged and dropped in Windows Explorer.  Of course you could do this with WAV files as well but my understanding was they were more prone to having errors introduced doing this over when you properly extracted them, while it was much more of a non-issue with data files.  Someone much more in the know about such computer format issues should chime in here.  Basically, it was explained to me that the benefits of SHN/FLAC were three-fold - lossless compression (which was more of a big deal IMO back in the days before DVD-Rs and huge HDs), ffp/md5 (and yes you can create md5s for any files), and the fact that they were converted to data files instead of WAV audio format.   

you are correct about the audio CD format, in that they have to be extracted with EAC or some other similar program, and that they are much more prone to errors.  But we're all talking about burning data CDs and data DVD's.  If you burn a .wav file to a data DVD (or CD), then it's just like burning any other file (FLAC or SHN or whatever), and you can copy the .wav files back to the HD with the "drag and drop", and it'll be just as error-free as any FLAC or SHN file.  The key here is to not burn an audio CD, but keep everything as a data disc.

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »
> "i dont trust flac to be faithful to the concept of sound design"

I'm wondering if you mean Sound Design like the 722? IN which case I understand. A wav file transfered from a 722 and then FLAC'd right away produces errors while encoding. I'm assuming because SD puts non-musical data in the wav file for later. Time code maybe or other data. I'm not sure and personally would be happy if it didn't do that anymore.

So in essence the md5s, in this case, wouldn't match between the original and the FLAC'd because of the missing data bits.

Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6