Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone use online storage to store audio/video files?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone use online storage to store audio/video files?
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone uses this:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/09/17/oosah-offers-1tb-of-free-online-media-storage/

I have A LOT of audio files and video files some very huge (avi video and 24/98 wav audio files). My hard drive is filling up and I need to find a cheap way to save my stuff. So want some advise on free online storage. Anyone use the 1TB free storage?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone use online storage to store audio/video files?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/Legacy.aspx?ci=8971

Unlimited Space and Transfer! - $15/month but if you do a full year its couple dollars cheaper.

If you do this, you can ftp into your directory anywhere and upload anything. maybe you're afraid of someone downloading something you don't want but if that's the case, don't tell them about it. :-D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »
I upload and post as many of my masters as I can, which seems like a good online backup to me!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/Legacy.aspx?ci=8971

Unlimited Space and Transfer! - $15/month but if you do a full year its couple dollars cheaper.

If you do this, you can ftp into your directory anywhere and upload anything. maybe you're afraid of someone downloading something you don't want but if that's the case, don't tell them about it. :-D
I don't have the Unlimited account, but with my regular GoDaddy hosting, you can set up the FTP where a user can only access a particular folder, so they won't see your goodies  ;D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »
Quote from: Sloan Simpson link=topic=132807.msg1741303#msg1741303
[/quote
I don't have the Unlimited account, but with my regular GoDaddy hosting, you can set up the FTP where a user can only access a particular folder, so they won't see your goodies  ;D

That's exactly true!
For someone who actually thinks they would use a terabyte of data, get the unlimited plan and fill it up with 1 exabyte of data. see what godaddy would do then.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
For a free solution, I use mediafire.com. It supports concurrent downloads, files up to 200MB, and no captchas or waiting times. It also has unlimited file space.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16:21 AM »
The trouble with "free" services is that they could go away (or the terms could change) at any moment.

Hard drives are cheap...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:04:12 PM »
The trouble with "free" services is that they could go away (or the terms could change) at any moment.

Hard drives are cheap...

Perfect response.  I don't trust someone else to keep data that I value.  As soon as mediafire's main financial sponsor's are gone, so is mediafire and there goes your data.

Lots of people say harddrives can't be trusted because they fail, but this isn't thinking big enough.  You need to think beyond a single harddrive backup system.  The most effective data backup employs redundancy in sources and locations, and employs frequent backups. 

Ask yourself this, if you spend $1000 plus on gear to capture an audio recording and you record any number of performances yearly, isn't it worth another $200 to buy redundant 1TB harddrives to effectively store the data?  I think it is.

I have 4 or 5 hard-drives.  I have all of my audio masters on one external drive that's sitting on my machine at home...a second drive mirrors the first drive and that one is sitting on my desk here at work.  I get about one failed drive per year.  When that happens, I simply go out and buy a new one and then re-back-up whatever is needed.

The key is to NEVER NEVER rely on a single drive to store all your important data.  That's just like inviting Murphy to take a shit on you!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:11:53 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
My hard drive crashed this year during a storm and power outage and took my back up with it.  Damn!  Thankfully, I had a second back up, albeit a couple months old, and only lost about 10 concerts, which I am working on getting back. 

My new system has two back ups, and then I have two more which are again, about a month old. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline marvin100

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »
Dropbox is a game-changer.

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:22 AM »
Dropbox is a game-changer.

I don't see how?  It offers a great service that I love and use BUT it only offers 2 GB for free and a maximum of 100 GB's if you pay $20/month.  Not only is the price steep but, at least for me, 100 GB's is nowhere near enough storage. 

I do agree that backing up your data and storing it off site is vital.  Yes, hard drives are cheap but if you have a flood or fire it really doesn't matter how many backups you've made.  I've been using Mozy.com.  At about $50/year for unlimited storage, it's a pretty good deal.  I've also found the support to be good.  The only issue I have is that it takes a long time to upload everything.  I know that is probably more my ISP's issue but it's taking months to upload about 1 TB.

Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com