Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tool red rocks - noob question  (Read 8716 times)

Online jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: tool red rocks - noob question
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
i dont have much to add here.  i do feel like a dumbass because i thought tool was pro taping for years due to all that is in circulation.  were they never pro taping?  as far as the recording topic goes, i agree with several that you really dont have time for this in 3 days.  someone will probably tape it, of course you never know for sure and even if that, they could get busted, come out with a crappy tape, etc.  if you plan on taping shows after this, i would go ahead and get a dr-07(probably runs you 120-180).  it a nice piece of equipment for the price.  never used the internals, and never would if I could avoid it.  the DR-07 does give some phantom power if you needed to power mics but for a loud show like tool you would probably need a preamp to get decent recordings.  the h2 is a similar product to the dr07 but ive never used it and cant imagine it would be more satisfying than the dr07 but to each his own.  hope this helps some.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

I don't get it...  If 90% of your show get taped and you don't care, why not just allow it???  Set up a Section like at PH shows...

Whatever...  I love Tool...  I guess Maynard et al. can do what they want...

Terry

I can personally see lots of reasons aesthetically to not do a Phish-style section - b/c not every band wants to have to deal with the headaches, and further, to have sight-obstructing stands in a prime venue position.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but there are arguments against it.

Another band that is at least vaguely in the same realm musically (sound nothing alike, but likely a similar fan base) as Tool is NIN, and I thought their policy made a hell of a lot of sense, which was essentially stealth tape with permission.  Bring your gear, venues are informed, do what you want, but no stands, no clamps/mounts.  Audience doesn't even know you're there.  Obviously I prefer for a band to allow stands and full open taping, but I think NIN's policy is a nice compromise, and that entire final tour got covered with many very high quality recordings (including one of mine  >:D )
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
"We're control freaks" -Adam Jones.
"Our music isn't yours to give.." -Maynard

Tool has gotten burned by bootlegs over the years (not that its a real concern nowadays) but they also like to maintain complete control of their material and how it is presented...they have said this many,many,many times.  Besides, whatever policies and methods to their career they employ, they are obviously working, as as far as they are concerned why would they need to change them..?

The shows get taped regardless..and while I suppose it would be nice to just stroll in with a stand and gear bag, the hassles of  securing "tapers tickets" and "tapers section drama" and all the crap that comes along with that doesnt seem too appealing to me.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
and while I suppose it would be nice to just stroll in with a stand and gear bag, the hassles of  securing "tapers tickets" and "tapers section drama" and all the crap that comes along with that doesnt seem too appealing to me.

plus if there were 7 open rigs on stands at every tool show, high quality recordings would no longer be rare and there would be nothing left to be paranoid about. and the gratification comes from the rarity and the paranoia.

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
and while I suppose it would be nice to just stroll in with a stand and gear bag, the hassles of  securing "tapers tickets" and "tapers section drama" and all the crap that comes along with that doesnt seem too appealing to me.

plus if there were 7 open rigs on stands at every tool show, high quality recordings would no longer be rare and there would be nothing left to be paranoid about. and the gratification comes from the rarity and the paranoia.

funny you mention that.I just got done doing my weekly naked romp on the floor with all of my recordings..
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
funny you mention that.I just got done doing my weekly naked romp on the floor with all of my recordings..

:laugh:

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »
In my experiences, the security at a Tool show is venue-dependent. The times I saw them at venues that don't patdown or wand, still didn't administer patdowns or wands just because Tool was in town.

I stand corrected. My first patdown at red rocks was tonight. Wasn't too hard though.

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
I got the wand and a pat-down on Saturday...wasnt too effective though.  ;)
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »
In my experiences, the security at a Tool show is venue-dependent. The times I saw them at venues that don't patdown or wand, still didn't administer patdowns or wands just because Tool was in town.

I stand corrected. My first patdown at red rocks was tonight. Wasn't too hard though.

I actually got the patdown at Panic. Never had that before, although it was my first time not getting there hours before doors (I got there 1.5 hours AFTER). I think maybe when they first let people in for Panic they might be more interested in getting that crowd in quickly and safely.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
Working on my night 1. Decided not to record night 2. Is it out there?
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com